5 Matched speakers for HT setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2012, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
Is anyone out there running 5 matched bookshelf speakers in their HT setup?

Another question would be if anyone compared that to a traditional matched center setup?

I am toying with the idea of getting 3 Paradigm Studio 20's for fronts (adding two more later) or
just 2 + a traditional center.

I've read that the best setup would be 5 matched speakers, but usually not feasible due to speaker height causing placement issues for the center speaker.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 07:35 PM

I'm running 5 anthony gallo stradas and it's incredible. There's definitely something special about 5 perfectly matched speakers...creates a huge sonic "bubble"
Old 01-08-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I would have liked to do it when I bought my HT speakers but it was more than I could afford in the line I wanted. However, I made sure that they were all from the same line and shared the same tweeter (this is not as good as identical speakers, but it is "the next best thing", IMO).

My front L/R and surround L/R are very close (VR-M60s and VR-M50s--50s are a bit smaller but otherwise the same) and my centre shares the same tweeter (VRC centre). I'm pleased with my sound but I know, someday, I will upgrade. I've decided to make sure to use identical speakers in my next set, even if I have to wait longer to be able to afford the quality I want.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Sounds like thats the way to go. Yea cost is a big factor also that's why I'm going with the studio 20's. I would like the 60's but I want to keep cost down since I have alot of stuff to get.

Once I'm don't with the speakers I have to upgrade amplification and the get a better processor.