burned flac files onto cd-r how to play them? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I currently just downloaded some flac files from hd tracks. I can play them no problem on my pc through mediamonkey. I burned the flac files using windows 7 burning program. I have tried to play them through my sony ps3. and it just shows a data disk with no content on it. Is there something i am missing here? it would be sweet to actually hear the potential of my paradigm speakers. thanks guys

My Basement Home Theater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 101
There are very few DVD or CD players that can play Flac files other than those on a computer. There are probably few computers that can't play them. Seems most all DVD and CD players can play the lower quality MP3 stuff. You'll need to convert the flac files to MP3 to play them on your CD/DVD player. Make sure to select 312kbps for best sound quality. 312kbps isn't too bad - anything less and sound quality degrades fast.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 02:12 PM

Liked: 11
Only way to play them on the PS3 would be to stream them through either mediamonkey or PS Media Server.
post #4 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

There are very few DVD or CD players that can play Flac files other than those on a computer. There are probably few computers that can't play them. Seems most all DVD and CD players can play the lower quality MP3 stuff. You'll need to convert the flac files to MP3 to play them on your CD/DVD player. Make sure to select 312kbps for best sound quality. 312kbps isn't too bad - anything less and sound quality degrades fast.

...okay, but you don't really answer the OP's question.

This question could perhaps get a better response on one of the "computer" sections on this forum.

I want to know more about this as well...hope the true answers follow.

I do know that for example, the Oppo BDP-95 will in fact play Flac, but I don't know if your receiver or processor needs to be "ready" for high rez files.

Espo77
post #5 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer View Post

Only way to play them on the PS3 would be to stream them through either mediamonkey or PS Media Server.

Does this keep the file as a Flac file, and play it as flac?

Espo77
post #6 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

You'll need to convert the flac files to MP3 to play them on your CD/DVD player.

No, not MP3. Convert the FLACs to WAV, gregdpw. Then burn those to a music (not data) CD.

Do a search. There are plenty of ways to convert FLAC to WAV.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #7 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

No, not MP3. Convert the FLACs to WAV, gregdpw. Then burn those to a music (not data) CD.

Do a search. There are plenty of ways to convert FLAC to WAV.

So WAV is a high rez file... the same as FLAC...

Espo77
post #8 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

So WAV is a high rez file... the same as FLAC...

FLAC is a lossless compression format. Anything can be encoded as FLAC. But it is usually used to losslessly compress WAV or higher quality files with no loss in quality. A 44.1kHz/16bit WAV file from a CD can be compresseed to FLAC and converted back to WAV with no loss in quality. But higher quality WAV files (i.e. 96kHz/24bit) can be compressed to FLAC and back to WAV, too.

And this reminds me.................... gregdpw, what is the quality of the FLAC files you downloaded from HD Tracks? If they are higher than 44.1kHZ/16bit (i.e 96kHz/24bit) you wil not be able to simply convert tem to WAV and burn them to a music CD. Music CDs only support 44.1kHz/16bit WAV files.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #9 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Flac to wav sounds pretty easy. Thanks

My Basement Home Theater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdpw View Post

Flac to wav sounds pretty easy. Thanks

Well, see my post above. What is the quality of the FLAC you downloaded from HDTracks? If higher than 44.1kHz/16bit you can't just simply convert the FLACs to WAV and burn them to a music CD. Things will be more complicated if that's the case.

post #11 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

But if they are not higher than that quality, the wav should sound just fine? Way butter than 320 kbs?

My Basement Home Theater

post #12 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But if they are not higher than that quality, the wav should sound just fine? Way butter than 320 kbs?

If the FLACs are 44.1kHz/16bit files, they will burn to music CD just fine once converted to WAV. Just make certain you create a music (or audio) CD and not simply a data CD.

Better than 320kbps? Well, whether you could hear a difference is arguable but there is no reason to convert to lower quality MP3 if you downloaded FLAC, initially. Unless you downloaded higher resolution FLACs than 44.1kHz/16bit. Then you might be in a situation where converting them to MP3 might be the easiest route for you, provided the PS3 can play MP3s off of a CD.

post #13 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

cool thanks. do you guys know any good free converter? thanks again.

The flac files do sound nice on my logitech z-5500 speaker system though. I want to hear the tracks on my paradigm speakers too!

My Basement Home Theater

post #14 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have always used 'FLAC Frontend' to decode and encode FLACs. But there are others. Some software will allow you to go straight to an audio CD with them, with the conversion to WAV just included as part of the process. Won't Media Monkey do that with the correct plug-in?

post #15 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Quote:

I have always used 'FLAC Frontend' to decode and encode FLACs. But there are others. Some software will allow you to go straight to an audio CD with them, with the conversion to WAV just included as part of the process. Won't Media Monkey do that with the correct plug-in?

+1

I've used the FLAC frontend that comes with the FLAC codec. Works well. I regularly use Media Monkey for this, and I believe it's supported in the newest paid version out of the box. But Media Monkey seems overkill unless someone is already using it as their media jukebox (I do).

Your questions are answered:

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #16 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

they are 96/24 files. am i ok?

My Basement Home Theater

post #17 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

they are 96/24 files. am i ok?

No. You can't burn those to an audio CD as 96/24.

You have a few options. The easiest thing, provided your PS3 can read MP3s off of a CD, would probably be to just convert them to MP3s as knucklehead initially suggested. However, this would be a bit of a waste of the hirez files you downloaded from HDTracks.

You could also decode them to 96/24 WAV then down-convert them to 44.1/16 WAV. These would be burnable to an audio CD. This would be a more involved process and would also still represent a loss in the quality from the original 96/24 files you downloaded from HDTracks.

Down-converted 96/24 to 44.1/16bit WAV versus straight to 320kbps MP3? You probably won't be able to tell a difference.

There are some ways to make a DVD-Video disc from 96/24 WAVs.

post #18 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

Down-converted 96/24 to 44.1/16bit WAV versus straight to 320kbps MP3? You probably won't be able to tell a difference.

That would be an interesting comparison.

If downloading FLAC files is something you plan on doing often, you might want to think about investing in network music player like a Squeezebox.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #19 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

That would be an interesting comparison.

Well, I'm not interested in doing it.

I would never convert them to MP3.

Actually, the MP3s you would end up with would probably be @ 48kHz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

If downloading FLAC files is something you plan on doing often, you might want to think about investing in network music player like a Squeezebox.

Yeah, I'm not familiar enough with the PS3 but there may already be a way to do what he needs to do. Can you stream iTunes to a PS3? VLC?

post #20 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

Well, I'm not interested in doing it.

I would never convert them to MP3.

I rip all my discs to FLAC, and I do have a lot of them in MP3 too for my iPod. I never really had the urge to compare. It would be easy for me to do.

Quote:

Yeah, I'm not familiar enough with the PS3 but there may already be a way to do what he needs to do. Can you stream iTunes to a PS3? VLC?

I bet it can, but the downfall may be 96/24 files. My Sonos can't do those...which bums me out.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #21 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Media monkey worked great for converting them to wav. Thanks!

My Basement Home Theater

post #22 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 07:19 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I currently just downloaded some flac files from hd tracks. I can play them no problem on my pc through mediamonkey. I burned the flac files using windows 7 burning program. I have tried to play them through my sony ps3. and it just shows a data disk with no content on it. Is there something i am missing here? it would be sweet to actually hear the potential of my paradigm speakers. thanks guys

I did the same, used NERO 10, burned to a audio CD. plays in my old pioneer DVD/CD player.

also worked in my car, so it can be done.
post #23 of 23 Old 02-11-2013, 05:39 PM

Liked: 10
no need to convert, just use burrrn or imgburn to burn flac files disc. that simple.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page