"Cheap" speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-10-2012, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all! I know nothing about this stuff, but I come here looking for advice every once in a while and everyone is always great.

I know its hard to recommend cheap speaker, but I really, really don't need high quality speakers for what I'm doing.

I'm helping someone with a bar and he needs to buy 2, maybe 4 speakers to replace the garbage ones that were installed a few years ago. He doesn't want to spend a lot because it's a young college age crowd and a young, college age staff and they can't be trusted to respect things. And all they're going to do is blast obnoxious music and they wouldn't notice quality speakers anyway.

He'll spend a couple hundred on speakers, but I have no idea what to tell him other than no Bose. It's a 250 watt receiver and I believe he's fine with his current subwoofer. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-10-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I assume that floor-standing speakers are out of the question, since every bar always has them mounted way up high where the sound doesn't get absorbed by the bodies and the furniture (and the drunks can't punch holes in the cones...lol).

I suggest the BIC America DV-62si which should handle the sound pressure levels as well as anything in that price range; Amazon prices them at $110 per pair.

IF a speaker that is 33 inches tall could be accommodated, the Sony SSF-5000 is only $100 per pair on Amazon and might even be better; they could possibly sit or be mounted with the top about seven feet high and work OK, as long as they were in a protected location where drunks can't reach them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangirl View Post

Hi all! I know nothing about this stuff, but I come here looking for advice every once in a while and everyone is always great.

He'll spend a couple hundred on speakers, but I have no idea what to tell him other than no Bose. It's a 250 watt receiver and I believe he's fine with his current subwoofer. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

post #3 of 15 Old 01-10-2012, 05:03 PM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
For place like bar, I would get pro audio speakers used by DJ or alike. Visit place like Guitar Center and see what may fit your requirement.
post #4 of 15 Old 01-10-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

For place like bar, I would get pro audio speakers used by DJ or alike. Visit place like Guitar Center and see what may fit your requirement.

x2

How much are you looking to spend tops?

Does this bar have a dance floor? Or are you looking for just background music

What is the model name of your amp?
post #5 of 15 Old 01-10-2012, 05:26 PM

You might want to check monitors like Behringer Truth, KRK Rokit etc. They come with amps in active versions, and without in passive. They're small and seem durable.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-10-2012, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

No, it's not a club, just need the speakers for background music. But the kids do crank it up later. But by then they're pretty hammered, so it's still just background noise.

Without doing any kind of research though, i'm going to go out on a limb and say that anything with 'pro' or 'dj' in the name would be overkill though.

And yes, they definitely have to be mounted high on the wall or they'd probably walk out the door. And sorry, but I have no clue what brand receiver he has.

What about those $200 pioneers in the other 'genius' thread?
post #7 of 15 Old 01-10-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 152
you didn't say how big the bar was...or what is being used to power these speakers. But you would either need active speakers or an pretty powerful Amp...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #8 of 15 Old 01-10-2012, 09:02 PM

Liked: 11
A professional PA speaker is absolutely the best choice for the application. They are designed for that type of abuse. You can also get some pretty innexpensive ones as well. Just check out Behringer's offerings. But, if you have never used anything like that... it's probably out of your comfort zone.

Definitely NOT the pioneer bookshelves you speak of. Not efficient enough for that application. For a regular "consumer" product...I like the idea of the BIC's.... but that is the wrong model mentioned above. I would suggest something much more efficient like these.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=303-434
power handling capacity and sensitivity = lots of output.

or you could use two of these for L+R
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=303-438

Allan
post #9 of 15 Old 01-10-2012, 09:09 PM

Yup. I like allan's BIC idea too. The Pioneers would be too quiet for a bar setting.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-12-2012, 10:51 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Without doing any kind of research though, i'm going to go out on a limb and say that anything with 'pro' or 'dj' in the name would be overkill though.

Look here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pa-ca...catId=site1YAA
post #11 of 15 Old 01-13-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:

No, it's not a club, just need the speakers for background music. But the kids do crank it up later. But by then they're pretty hammered, so it's still just background noise.

If I read your post right it sounds like the kids that work there might crank them up after the customers are gone. If that's the case then maybe some cheap, nice sounding but not very efficient speakers might be just what you need. If that's the case than the Pioneers might work well, especially with their poke proof metal front grills. If you can find them the FS-41 bookshelves would be easier to mount up high.

Just a thought.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-13-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiok View Post

Yup. I like allan's BIC idea too. The Pioneers would be too quiet for a bar setting.

X3, I have seen BIC speakers in a few bars!
post #13 of 15 Old 01-13-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Cheap speakers that stood up to alot of abuse in my fraternity house were Sony SS-B3000's
post #14 of 15 Old 01-13-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Used cerwin Vega towers with 10" to 12" woofers. Mount them on a shelf laying down. Bolt the shelf to some studs and screw the speaker to the shelf. It's not going anywhere.

YID DIY
post #15 of 15 Old 01-16-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

Used cerwin Vega towers with 10" to 12" woofers. Mount them on a shelf laying down. Bolt the shelf to some studs and screw the speaker to the shelf. It's not going anywhere.

+1
Yea, the more I think about it the used market is really the way to go. Cerwin or any quality name with a minimum 10" woofer will produce better results and fill a large space better than any small bookshelf.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page