Bose Companion 3 series II -> HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-11-2012, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so here's the deal. I have a set of Bose Companion 3 Series II computer speakers that I'm now trying to re-purpose for use with an HDTV. The TV is a Pioneer 50" plasma. It originally came with a built-in soundbar-type thingy that looked like crap, so I removed it. It originally wasn't a problem, as the TV was in a room with my Yamaha RX-V565. But we moved and now the Pioneer is being used as a secondary TV.

That's where the Bose speakers come in. Currently, I've got the speakers hooked up as intended (the satellites to the sub, and from the sub, a stereo to RCA adapter to the TV's audio output). The problem with this is that the sound cannot be controlled through the TV, but rather by the built-in module that comes with the speakers. It's a pain in the butt having to get up whenever I want to adjust the volume. So now you have the back story, now to my real question.

The speakers have an RCA connector at the ends, so instead of hooking them up to the sub, I tried plugging them directly into the audio out on the TV. Nothing. Not sure why, maybe they weren't getting any power? Anyway, the TV also has speaker wire connectors that were originally intended for the included sound bar. If I cut the RCA plugs off from the speaker wire and plug the bare wire directly into the clips on the back of the TV, will that work? I'm assuming that, inside the insulation, there's a positive and negative wire, just like with other speakers.

The TV has a separate subwoofer connection (output?), so if I go that route, I'm thinking I can achieve a 2.1 system that is controllable by the TV's volume. As I read this, it sounds harebrained, but I'm trying to get this up and running for as little $$ as possible. Just bought a house.

Thanks in advance.

It's made with bits of real panther...so you know it's good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-12-2012, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Your TV has no Amp...so the speakers wouldn't work. I assume that the Bose base module has a power supply and is powering the speakers.
Your soundbar likely was also active (did it have a seperate AC plug in?), so those speaker wires connections would only work with active speakers?

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #3 of 7 Old 01-12-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

No, the soundbar that came with the TV was not powered separately...it got power from the TV.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-12-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 388
perhaps you should provide the model number of your Pioneer plasma so folks have an idea what you're talking about. Or a link to the owners manual.

Afro GT
post #5 of 7 Old 01-12-2012, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

perhaps you should provide the model number of your Pioneer plasma so folks have an idea what you're talking about. Or a link to the owners manual.

Feels kind of unnecessary, since I'm telling you what it has. But it's a Pioneer PDP-5070.

post #6 of 7 Old 01-12-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_adversor View Post

Feels kind of unnecessary, since I'm telling you what it has. But it's a Pioneer PDP-5070.

Well, I was trying to see if the audio output can be changed from fixed to variable on the TV, so the model number is important. If it has a variable output, then that would be a way for your adjust the volume with your TV remote and not have to get up to change the volume on the Bose bass module.

Thank you.

Afro GT
post #7 of 7 Old 01-16-2012, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry, I never got an email notifying me of your response, I just now saw it. Anyway...any idea on how I would change the output to variable? I did go through the entire menu looking for options I could tweak, but couldn't find anything.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page