trouble with some tower speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-12-2012, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
about 3 years ago I got a set of Yamaha tower speakers from a guy I worked with. I had an old onkyo received that wasn't too powerful. From day 1 I noticed that some audio was being dropped. I play a lot of video games and it was most noticeable when some dialogue was simply missing.

I figured it was due to the crappy receiver not being able to push enough power to the speakers.

I just got a new pioneer 1021k and I'm still noticing the issue.

I have ran a few of those 5.1 tests and it always works correct, so I am kinda stumped. I'm mot disclosure what information is needed for help besides the receiver.

the only things I can think of is either the speaker wire is old, or the wire is not the right gauge, but I honestly am an idiot when it comes to this.

my speakers are 6 ohms and I am running a full 5.1 set. the back of them say 100-240 watts

there are bridging connectors....but 1 of them was chewed up by dog I guess by the last owner. So I just stripped the wire and ran in all the way through.

I did switch the system to stereo and there seemed to be a little more sound coming through the tower speakers, but nothing crazy different.

Ive tried everything and I just cant get this issue to stop.

I recently watched Star War Episode 3 and when obi wan an danikan are having a lightsaber fight sometimes they sound was so faint when their sabers clashed, and I know its suposed to be louder.

Would it hurt the system if I plugged in some smaller speakers as well as the tower speakers at the same time to see if the issue would be resolved that way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-13-2012, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikana View Post

I had an old onkyo received that wasn't too powerful. From day 1 I noticed that some audio was being dropped. I play a lot of video games and it was most noticeable when some dialogue was simply missing. I figured it was due to the crappy receiver not being able to push enough power to the speakers.

No. That problem does not relate to amp power.

Quote:

I just got a new pioneer 1021k and I'm still noticing the issue.

See?

Quote:

the only things I can think of is either the speaker wire is old, or the wire is not the right gauge, but I honestly am an idiot when it comes to this.

Old wire should not be a problem.

Quote:

there are bridging connectors....but 1 of them was chewed up by dog I guess by the last owner. So I just stripped the wire and ran in all the way through.

Should be OK if the connections are solid. Make sure both the red/black terminals for each driver are tight.

If you are running 5.1 and cannot hear dialog, then the towers are not the problem, but the center speaker. Is it working ok? Have the speaker levels been calibrated? Did you run the MCACC properly?

While playing some music, try moving your ear across every driver in every speaker, the tweeter, the midrange, the woofer, just to make sure every one of them is outputting sound.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-13-2012, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Almost sound like either a midrange driver or a tweeter is blown or damaged in each tower.

Shawn
post #4 of 6 Old 01-13-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Follow these steps to isolate the problem:

Completely disconnect ALL of the speakers and connect another pair of speakers to the front; any speakers that work. Just run the two fronts only until you determine that it is working OK. Drive them fairly hard, but NO distortion.Then go back to the old speakers and run them by themselves for a while and see if the problem comes back.

If so, those speakers are obviously the problem.

If it sounds OK for a while with both sets of speakers in 2-channel operation, reconnect the center speaker and then see what happens with 3 channels only. Try both sets of speakers.

If it screws up with both sets of front speakers, then the center must be the problem.

IF it works OK with either set of front speakers in 3-channel operation, you probably don't have enough power available from the receiver to drive all 5 channels hard at once. Your receiver has about 400-450 watts maximum available from the power supply to run EVERYTHING in the receiver, so when driving all 5 channels hard you can expect a maximum of about 75 watts RMS per channel to be available, if that. Any spec that says different is a big LIE. Some manufacturer specs are true, some are small lies, and some are big lies.

This is more likely to be the problem if ANY of your speakers are rated less than 8 ohms by the speaker manufacturer.

Maybe your front speakers have a lower impedance than the others at some frequencies and so they are the first to show a noticeable power drop-off when the receiver runs out of gas. A speaker's impedance is different at different frequencies. A "6 ohm" speaker probably has an impedance as high as 20 ohms at some frequencies and as low as 3 or 4 ohms at other frequencies.

What impedance and sensitivity does Yamaha rate the front speakers at? What model are they?

IF the receiver is not running out of power, then my suspicion is that you either have bad crossover components in the front speakers or a driver in there that is going bad. The above procedure should isolate it to the front speakers or to the receiver if they ARE the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikana View Post

about 3 years ago I got a set of Yamaha tower speakers from a guy I worked with. I had an old onkyo received that wasn't too powerful. From day 1 I noticed that some audio was being dropped. I play a lot of video games and it was most noticeable when some dialogue was simply missing.

I recently watched Star War Episode 3 and when obi wan an danikan are having a lightsaber fight sometimes they sound was so faint when their sabers clashed, and I know its suposed to be louder.

Would it hurt the system if I plugged in some smaller speakers as well as the tower speakers at the same time to see if the issue would be resolved that way?

post #5 of 6 Old 01-13-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I tried the above and i think the towers are fine. Turns out most of the sound in episode 3 is coming from the center.

i used a calibration mic when i set up the system, and thats the settings i have been using.

Im starting to think im just crazy and am expecting to much.

Is it possible my crossover settings are messed up?

I have it set to 80, and i honestly dont know what it does, so i just let the mic do all the work.

When i plugged in the smaller speakers and just ran stereo the results were the same ( lightsabers faint) so maybe in my games that i am playing when the the vocals are playing its just a fault of the game.

Also should i set my center channel to small or large?

I tried to post a link but since i am a noob it wont let me.

I have the klipsch C20 center channel.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-13-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Invite your neighborhood stereo-tech savvy friend over for a beer.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page