Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 47 Old 01-16-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
I can't speak for all Mag stores, but the CM9s should be hooked up to the Pioneer SC-57.

Thats what it was hooked up to at the BB's in NYC.

I don't know if its because BB draws too much power from all the equipment they have, or if the CM9's need more power, but to get acceptable sound i had to turn the volume way up to -8. And it was still too low. I blame it on BB. The CM9's/CMC2 are 90db efficient, it shouldn't take alot of power to get good sound.

home theater addict
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 01-16-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Thats what it was hooked up to at the BB's in NYC.

I don't know if its because BB draws too much power from all the equipment they have, or if the CM9's need more power, but to get acceptable sound i had to turn the volume way up to -8. And it was still too low. I blame it on BB. The CM9's/CMC2 are 90db efficient, it shouldn't take alot of power to get good sound.

B&W states they're 8 ohm normal rated at 89db @ 2.83v/1m but they also state they have dips down to 3 ohms. I'm far from being an expert on this subject but those dips would tell me you'll need a fair amount of power to make them sound good at moderate to loud levels. And with any speaker purchase...you should always factor in your room & listening levels....besides most people who can afford to buy B&W from the CM series and above usually go with separtes route anyways....

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers,STC(RAAL) & 200 SE in espresso54" of Panny BlissAnthem MRX 300,Sony BDP-S380, Technics CD player & Apple TV....

{ PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry}
post #33 of 47 Old 01-16-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Separates are not always needed.

The 90db i got from HT mag-

http://www.hometheater.com/content/b...-labs-measures

home theater addict
post #34 of 47 Old 01-16-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Separates are not always needed.

The 90db i got from HT mag-

http://www.hometheater.com/content/b...-labs-measures

Looking at those numbers they dip to 3.41 ohm at 116 hz that is fairly demanding load and the CMC2 is not any better at ~3.44 @ 131 hz...they do certainly improve above 500hz-2Khz but they'll still need a good receiver with a robust amp section going by those those numbers..not that having one is ever a bad thing.....

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers,STC(RAAL) & 200 SE in espresso54" of Panny BlissAnthem MRX 300,Sony BDP-S380, Technics CD player & Apple TV....

{ PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry}
post #35 of 47 Old 01-16-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

but they'll still need a good receiver with a robust amp section going by those those numbers.

Well i have a SC-37.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/p...-labs-measures

Not that i have the CM9's anyway. But good to know.

home theater addict
post #36 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Sc-57 here. A little update - speakers still sound very musical. Dialogue is CRISP, glad I went with the bigger center.
post #37 of 47 Old 02-18-2012, 02:02 PM

Liked: 10
Any further updates on the B&W CM setup vs. Energy Veritas setup?

B&W CM9/CMC2/CM5 ~$6300 (5.0 system)
Energy Veritas v6.3/v5.2/v5.1 ~$2000 (5.0 system)

B&W CMC2 vs. Energy Veritas v5.2c ???

There are practically zero internet reviews on the center channel speakers (CMC2 vs. Veritas v5.2c). I managed to find one other person on another forum with first hand experience saying that the B&W CM line were much better than the Veritas, with the CMC2 being one of the best center channel speaker he had heard (via pm).

The only available Energy Setup at the local Best Buy Magnolia store were the Energy CF-50 tower and CC-10 center. The vocals coming from the stand alone CC-10 sounded muffed, boxy, restricted, confined. From what I have gathered on the net, CF < RC = Veritas.

TVMAN1991,
(A) Any thoughts on the center channel speakers (CMC2 vs. v5.2c)?
(B) How would you compare the Energy Veritas v5.2c to the CC-10?
post #38 of 47 Old 02-19-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryyogurt View Post

Any further updates on the B&W CM setup vs. Energy Veritas setup?

B&W CM9/CMC2/CM5 ~$6300 (5.0 system)
Energy Veritas v6.3/v5.2/v5.1 ~$2000 (5.0 system)

B&W CMC2 vs. Energy Veritas v5.2c ???

There are practically zero internet reviews on the center channel speakers (CMC2 vs. Veritas v5.2c). I managed to find one other person on another forum with first hand experience saying that the B&W CM line were much better than the Veritas, with the CMC2 being one of the best center channel speaker he had heard (via pm).

The only available Energy Setup at the local Best Buy Magnolia store were the Energy CF-50 tower and CC-10 center. The vocals coming from the stand alone CC-10 sounded muffed, boxy, restricted, confined. From what I have gathered on the net, CF < RC = Veritas.

TVMAN1991,
(A) Any thoughts on the center channel speakers (CMC2 vs. v5.2c)?
(B) How would you compare the Energy Veritas v5.2c to the CC-10?

I'll give whatever help I can!:

A) Far and away the CMC2 BLOWS the 5.2 out of the water. The 5.2 is your typical two woofers on each side, with the tweeter in the center. Usually listening off-axis isn't the best. Sound was never muffled on the v5.2, but it wasn't ultra clear like the CMC2 (which I love). The CMC2 is built like a proper center should be. Some people though, like a phantom center (where you can't tell where voices are coming from).

B. The V5.2 is much better than the CC-10. Completely different technology there. The V5.2 is much crisper.

I can only give you my personal opinion. I can only tell you what I think sounds better. You may love the Veritas more than the CM series. Someone claimed the CM series to be like a dressed up 600 series, but it's completely untrue. Listen to both and you'll say otherwise as well.

I can tell you however, that out of 10 people who came to my house to audition, 10 out of 10 liked the CM series better than the Veritas. Even a gentleman who is registered here to do ISF calibrations and is very well versed in A/Visms. He thought the CMs were incredibly natural and detailed, only lacking a little warmth. I paired the CMs with a Mcintosh amp so it took care of that problem.

Good luck! LMK if you have any other questions, I'll try my best to answer them.
post #39 of 47 Old 02-19-2012, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
tag

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
post #40 of 47 Old 02-19-2012, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanii19 View Post

I am on the fence on returning my veritas or keeping them. Interesting thread.

why you want to return then?
post #41 of 47 Old 02-20-2012, 10:28 AM

I actually started out with a pair of Veritas bookshelves and sold them to get CM5s.
post #42 of 47 Old 02-22-2012, 02:03 PM

I bought the CM9s and CMC2 or whatever you call the center this past year for my home theater... It was between them and the salk HT2tls... Let me tell you, the salks were the best bass... best vocals... I have ever heard from a speaker... but they were also almost twice the price about $4.5k for the R/L. IMHO, the salks were not twice as good of a speaker... the CMs are no slouch... they are awesome! So in conclusion, B&Ws were by far the best priced for the quality.... I got a 20 percent discount from the local authorized dealer so they were about $2400 for the CM9s and the center for $1000. For a home theater... CM series are just awesome. No real coloring, slightly warm, but crystal windex clear highs for any HT. Plus you cross everthing over with a sub or subs, so it's just perfect for me. They don't have the most overpowering bass and hopefully I hope they will improve when I move into a smaller room (I have them in a 1500 square foot room rigght now). I have had monitor and studio paradigms and monitor audios.... don't come close to B&Ws SQ.
post #43 of 47 Old 02-24-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMAN1991 View Post

I'll give whatever help I can!:

A) Far and away the CMC2 BLOWS the 5.2 out of the water. The 5.2 is your typical two woofers on each side, with the tweeter in the center. Usually listening off-axis isn't the best. Sound was never muffled on the v5.2, but it wasn't ultra clear like the CMC2 (which I love). The CMC2 is built like a proper center should be. Some people though, like a phantom center (where you can't tell where voices are coming from).

B. The V5.2 is much better than the CC-10. Completely different technology there. The V5.2 is much crisper.

I can only give you my personal opinion. I can only tell you what I think sounds better. You may love the Veritas more than the CM series. Someone claimed the CM series to be like a dressed up 600 series, but it's completely untrue. Listen to both and you'll say otherwise as well.

I can tell you however, that out of 10 people who came to my house to audition, 10 out of 10 liked the CM series better than the Veritas. Even a gentleman who is registered here to do ISF calibrations and is very well versed in A/Visms. He thought the CMs were incredibly natural and detailed, only lacking a little warmth. I paired the CMs with a Mcintosh amp so it took care of that problem.

Good luck! LMK if you have any other questions, I'll try my best to answer them.

Very much appreciative, Thanks. That's some gooood information right there. I am favoring the B&W CM line.

Clarification: So vocals and all sounds coming from the Veritas v5.2c center speaker doesn't actually sound "confined to the speaker" or "boxy," right? If you were to close your eyes with only the center v5.2c playing, does it sound like a person is in the room with you and everything else creating a large soundstage? OR do the vocals/sound actually sound like they're coming directly from a speaker box (i.e. the CC-10 is like an extreme when everything is boxy, confined, with a small soundstage)?

When you compared the center speakers channels (B&W CMC2, Veritas v5.2c, CC-10), did you have your surrounds and two front towers OFF? That's how I did my auditions down at Best Buy's Magnolia. I wanted to see how the vocals/and sound were when only the CMC2 vs the CC-10 center speakers were on. I didn't want any influence from the front towers.

I also got a chance to audition the B&W 600 series; 684B v 683B.
(A) Preferred the 684B over the 683B. Reason: Less bass, and better vocal clarity on 684B.
(B) Preference: CM9 > 684B > 683B.
(C) Aesthetics is also a reason why I am attracted to the B&W CM line and Energy Veritas line. Black Gloss is appealing, very luxurious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenyx View Post

I actually started out with a pair of Veritas bookshelves and sold them to get CM5s.

Appreciate the input. Any particular reason why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker43 View Post

I bought the CM9s and CMC2 or whatever you call the center this past year for my home theater... It was between them and the salk HT2tls... Let me tell you, the salks were the best bass... best vocals... I have ever heard from a speaker... but they were also almost twice the price about $4.5k for the R/L. IMHO, the salks were not twice as good of a speaker... the CMs are no slouch... they are awesome! So in conclusion, B&Ws were by far the best priced for the quality.... I got a 20 percent discount from the local authorized dealer so they were about $2400 for the CM9s and the center for $1000. For a home theater... CM series are just awesome. No real coloring, slightly warm, but crystal windex clear highs for any HT. Plus you cross everthing over with a sub or subs, so it's just perfect for me. They don't have the most overpowering bass and hopefully I hope they will improve when I move into a smaller room (I have them in a 1500 square foot room rigght now). I have had monitor and studio paradigms and monitor audios.... don't come close to B&Ws SQ.

Thank you for your input as well.

Stacked against the CM9 towers, when you say the Salks "were the best bass," do you simply mean the Salk towers offer more bass? Could the bass be toned down on the Salks? Would a quality subwoofer paired to CM9s level the playing field with respect to the "bass."

If Salk towers indeed puts out more bass than the CM9, that actually would heavily push me in the direction of the CM9s. I would actually favor the CM9s if this is the case.

Side Note: When listening to music in my vehicle, I actually turn down the 'bass' and increase the 'treble' allowing for more vocal clarity.
post #44 of 47 Old 03-12-2012, 02:32 PM

Strawberry,

Regarding your bass question, the Salk HT2-Tls were by far the best speaker at $4,500 or lower - bass and vocals period. So yes they beat out the CM9 in bass and vocals. The Tls remind me of two 10" subs playing but theyre were no subs present in the room. Jim uses high quality crossovers and drivers for the product and does away with all the advertising costs you are paying for from B&W, paradigm, etc. I am no B&W fan boy, I imagine the 802 series B&Ws are the only speakers that beat out the low frequency department and overall sound blend between the drivers (They cost 5x the price).

If I were buying a stereo system I would spring for the Salks in a heart beat! Two speakers and you are set. Musically the CM9 bass are great for a smaller room... only go to 50 hz or something but they sound awesome and escpecially shine in the mid bass for a small room with no sub.... but I like some bass... with a sub added for music, the overall bass is muddled... and the CM9s don't sound as tight as the salks.

Home theater the Cm's are more than compromable with a nice sub (also economically) ... like a rythmik 'ported' FV15 or svs ultra. I have two sealed rythmik F15s and wish I got a ported sub... but I am in a huge basement at the moment so my opinion might change after I move. Salks go lowever obviously in stereo but you are not going to be playing movies in all channel stereo. If you don't care about bass that much I would spring for CM8s or CM9s as a no brainer and down the road get a kick ass sub for movies.

Simply for me,
Stereo - Salks HT2-TLs, any other high end towers
Home Theater/Stereo Combo - CM series w/ Sub
post #45 of 47 Old 07-17-2012, 12:41 AM

Liked: 11
I just don't understand how one can open up a set of speakers and demo them...without having at least 50 hours of breaking in time. Why go through all the trouble of buying/shipping/hauling if you are not going to HEAR them? If you did just that, your review is worth absolutely nothing. The sound changes drastically after the break-in time.
post #46 of 47 Old 07-17-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdusted View Post

If you did just that, your review is worth absolutely nothing. The sound changes drastically after the break-in time.

You do realize that is an opinion, right - and a hotly debated one...

I don't buy into the idea that speakers need 50+ hrs to break in, and have never experienced these drastic changes in sound post break-in that so many audiophiles seem to hear... Then again, I don't hear differences in power cords and speaker wire either...

To each their own I suppose...
Billy p likes this.
post #47 of 47 Old 07-17-2012, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The B&W CM9 sounds great even in our mag room (we are getting a remodel so hopefully our Mag store will get a nicely acoustic room) and they are my favorite speakers in the store as they sound very natural. (not a fan of the martin logans). Still deciding between these and building some Scanspeak towers since they are in the same price range. Great review though smile.gif
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page