List of Reference Level, High Sensitivity & SPL Speakers - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 824 Old 01-17-2014, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I spoke with Al at RAW Acoustics as well as Bob at CSS last week, they have a new ribbon called the RT2 which can be built into line arrays like my Omegas, all custom down to the binding posts and plate finish. My Omegas are 95db@1watt/1m, XBL mids with industry leading low distortion levels. The dynamics are crazy too, best I've ever heard. Of course you can't walk into a Best Buy and take them home but they are an incredible value for anyone wanting to experience ultra-high-end sound at a reasonable investment. I'll keep mine for decades, that is for sure smile.gif

y5wu.jpg

Anthem MRX-500 - Vincent SAV-P200 - RAW Acoustics Lambda Plus arrays, Apex C II center and HT4 towers - Rythmik FV15HP - Vizio XVT553SV - Xbox One - Xbox 360 - WD Live TV - QNAP TS212 NAS w/WD Red drives - APC H15BLK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 824 Old 01-21-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emetw View Post

I spoke with Al at RAW Acoustics as well as Bob at CSS last week, they have a new ribbon called the RT2 which can be built into line arrays like my Omegas, all custom down to the binding posts and plate finish. My Omegas are 95db@1watt/1m, XBL mids with industry leading low distortion levels. The dynamics are crazy too, best I've ever heard. Of course you can't walk into a Best Buy and take them home but they are an incredible value for anyone wanting to experience ultra-high-end sound at a reasonable investment. I'll keep mine for decades, that is for sure smile.gif

y5wu.jpg

Man that is a great looking set of speakers. Will there be issues with combing with a line array of midrange drivers? Do you have a in-room response plot to show us?

Blazar!
post #813 of 824 Old 01-21-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

Man that is a great looking set of speakers. Will there be issues with combing with a line array of midrange drivers? Do you have a in-room response plot to show us?

Good timing, I just ordered my MiniDSP Umik yesterday. By ear I don't sense any combing issues; these are by far the best speakers I have ever heard and they impress me every time I listen to them. Once the Umik arrives I'll get some response graphs posted to show everyone what they look like. Thanks!

Anthem MRX-500 - Vincent SAV-P200 - RAW Acoustics Lambda Plus arrays, Apex C II center and HT4 towers - Rythmik FV15HP - Vizio XVT553SV - Xbox One - Xbox 360 - WD Live TV - QNAP TS212 NAS w/WD Red drives - APC H15BLK
post #814 of 824 Old 01-21-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emetw View Post

Good timing, I just ordered my MiniDSP Umik yesterday. By ear I don't sense any combing issues; these are by far the best speakers I have ever heard and they impress me every time I listen to them. Once the Umik arrives I'll get some response graphs posted to show everyone what they look like. Thanks!

So funny i just ordered the exact same mic myself yesterday!

Blazar!
post #815 of 824 Old 01-21-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

What did those speakers run you? Im curious of those as an option for surround speakers in-wall custom made.

Blazar!
post #816 of 824 Old 01-26-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

What did those speakers run you? Im curious of those as an option for surround speakers in-wall custom made.

The line arrays? I'd reach out to Al at RAW, I bought them directly from Bob at CSS and now that they use the RT2 ribbon (less expensive but still based on a high-end Aurum Cantus ribbon) and a newer mid, pricing is quite different. PM me for his contact info if you want, he's a super nice guy with amazing build skills.

post #817 of 824 Old 01-26-2014, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Hey Eyleron. Was wondering if you could add a speaker to the list to see how it stacks up? Its the Electro-Voice TS940D. One of my local theaters has them as stage speakers in two of there rooms and Ive been so impressed with them over the years watching countless movies on them. Its always a treat when I hear them. Here is some specs.

Specifications
Usable Frequency Response
30-20,000 Hz
Sound Pressure Level at 1 Meter,
1 Watt Input:
100 dB
Power Capacity Per EIA Standard
RS-426A,
Long-Term Average:
300 watts
Short-Term Peak:
1,200 watts
Crossover Frequency:
500 Hz
Recommended Crossover Frequency
(see Crossover and Basic Equalization
section):
1,150 Hz
Crossover Slopes,
Recommended:
24 dB per octave
Minimum:
12 dB per octave
Sound Pressure Level at 1 Meter, 1 Watt
Input,
LF (100- to 800-Hz average):
96 dB
LF (65- to 125-Hz average):
94 dB
HF (800- to 5,000-Hz average):
110 dB
Power Capacity Average Power-Handling
Capacity,
Low Frequency (per EIA RS-426-A
1980):
600 watts
Low Frequency, Continuous
Program:***
1,000 watts
High Frequency (per AES2-1984/
ANSI S4.26-1984):
60 watts
Dispersion, Horizontal and Vertical:
90°
Nominal Impedance, HF and LF:
8 ohms
Components:
DH2As1 compression driver; HP99T horn;
TL15-1XS low-frequency system with
EVX-150A woofer; HMK-4 horn/drivermounting
bracket
Finishes:
Matte black HF horn, black driver and
mounting bracket, and black textured

Heres its spreadsheet link: http://www.rsem.com/pdf_manuals/electro-voice/ts940d.pdf

Heres a link where you can see a pic of them: http://www.rsem.com/equipment-details.asp?partnum=TS940D

These guys have always blew me away with there incredible midrange and dynamics. 2-channel preshow music is played thru them before the previews start and they always image so well. I had read an article by Tom Holman who use to judge cinema setups with stereo content to test imaging. Also from reading the specs Im a little confused on the crossover point from the CD to the low frequency drivers. Says 500hz but reccomends 1,150hz.
Thanks alot!

JBL Pro Cinema
post #818 of 824 Old 03-11-2014, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so how would the HSU HB1-MK2 compare in sensitivity to the Klipsch RF-62II. Does the HSU really have a sensitivity of 92 in the same way most speakers rate sensitivity? I am trying to decide between a Klipsch setup and the HSU. I currently have some ascend acoustics CMT-340 that show a 89db sensitivity anechoic that I m told is the same as the HSU because of them being meausred in half space which would drop the real sensitivity by 3db.
post #819 of 824 Old 03-11-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Klipsch has been known to over-rate their sensitivity badly. There is no way the RF-62 is 97 dB like they claim. 97 dB is more like pro-audio speakers. Klipsch are more sensitive than normal, but the only honest specs for their speakers are on the Heritage line and pro lines. No doubt the RF-62s are more powerful than the Hsu speakers though, but at least Hsu spec their speakers correctly. A lot of speaker manufacturers will spec their sensitivity to an 'in-room' rating without mentioning that fact, like 1/2 space, 1/4 space, or even 1/8 space. Hsu at least tells you how their speaker was rated.
post #820 of 824 Old 04-11-2014, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34

Anyone use SLS Speakers? http://www.slsloudspeakers.com/SLS%20Audio%20Products.htm

Looks like stage, studio, cinema, home.

post #821 of 824 Old 05-29-2014, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustwvl View Post

so how would the HSU HB1-MK2 compare in sensitivity to the Klipsch RF-62II. Does the HSU really have a sensitivity of 92 in the same way most speakers rate sensitivity? I am trying to decide between a Klipsch setup and the HSU. I currently have some ascend acoustics CMT-340 that show a 89db sensitivity anechoic that I m told is the same as the HSU because of them being meausred in half space which would drop the real sensitivity by 3db.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Klipsch has been known to over-rate their sensitivity badly. There is no way the RF-62 is 97 dB like they claim. 97 dB is more like pro-audio speakers. Klipsch are more sensitive than normal, but the only honest specs for their speakers are on the Heritage line and pro lines. No doubt the RF-62s are more powerful than the Hsu speakers though, but at least Hsu spec their speakers correctly. A lot of speaker manufacturers will spec their sensitivity to an 'in-room' rating without mentioning that fact, like 1/2 space, 1/4 space, or even 1/8 space. Hsu at least tells you how their speaker was rated.

First, great effort on this thread. The challenge is that all of this data is flawed in one way or another. Second, its extremely challenging to model speaker behaviors on a spreadsheet.

There are speakers on this list that really exceed THX's and the SMPTE Standards, but if you are single factor weighting for high output, you will be disappointed.

I cannot say this enough, "Trust your ears."

McIntosh Labs! What am I listening to?
post #822 of 824 Old 05-29-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by oOOBillO0o View Post

I cannot say this enough, "Trust your ears."
Professional loudspeaker designers trust their ears, but they're just as emphatic as Mr.Reagan was in that they also verify, with measurements. Measuring tools have at least a hundred times the accuracy and resolution that the human ear does. The problem with manufacturer supplied specs is that very few show the single most important piece of data, a measured SPL response chart. In the absence of measured SPL charts manufacturer data should be considered unsubstantiated advertising copy.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #823 of 824 Old 05-29-2014, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Bill, Yes! Trust, but verify!

McIntosh Labs! What am I listening to?
post #824 of 824 Old 07-18-2014, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Can i add pro audio technology speakers? Anyone experience with these?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page