14Likes
post #871 of 879 Old 11-06-2014, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post
Except now you have it lower than the La Scala (which has identical drivers but less bass extension than the Klipschorn), lower than the Cornwall, which is impossible, and lower than the Heresy, which is ridiculous.

Adjust the half-space sensitivity whoever you like to reach an in-room sensitivity of 104 (or 105) dB (1/8 space, which is how it's used in-room). Anything else makes no sense.
Yes, the (correct, I think) implication of my post is that to use the Klipschorn properly it needs to be used in a corner (1/8 space), and when so doing you get sensitivity of 104/105 db, even though the farther reaches of Klipsch's testing room are not like a home listening room, but are indeed anechoic. If anything, the Khorn would be even more sensitive in many real listening rooms. Some people have implied that the sensitivity of the Khorn is lower than advertised. I believe this is wrong. The problem is that some reviewers measure it AES style, in a way it would never be used, not in 1/8 space, and then get a lower figure, like 98 (Heyser, though, after measuring 98, did say that the sensitivity would be more like 104 in a room which is pretty much the gain increase -- 6 dB -- a corner provides).

As to the La Scala, Belle Klipsch, Cornwall, etc., they were designed to be at least against a wall, where there is some bass reinforcement and room gain. Paul W. Klipsch advised putting "any speaker, of any kind" in a corner, although the Cornwall was thus named because it would work O.K. in a corner or along a wall, where it would have to be (between two Khorns) for Klipsch's "Wide Stage Stereo." Later writers have suggested putting absorbers on the near walls of the corner, starting even with the front of whatever speaker is being used, to attenuate any midrange and treble reflections produced by the close walls. To reflect a compromise between PWK's suggested use, and the usual placement preferences of Klipsch consumers (speakers never out in the middle of a room, and never on stands or legs) I believe the La Scala, La Scala II, Belle, Cornwall, Heresy, etc. are not measured as AES would suggest, but in a more reinforcing space, but not 1/8, except for the Khorn and, perhaps, the Jubilee. All of this has been discussed on the Klipsch forum from time to time. Roy Delgado of Klipsch would be the one who knows.
psgcdn likes this.

Last edited by garygarrison; 11-06-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 879 Old 11-11-2014, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post
Correct. I was suggesting that it be added to the list as it meets all the criteria as far as I can tell.
Right. I added it, but I was providing more information in the post than just me saying, "K, I added it."
post #873 of 879 Old 11-11-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyleron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post
Correct. I was suggesting that it be added to the list as it meets all the criteria as far as I can tell.
Right. I added it, but I was providing more information in the post than just me saying, "K, I added it."
My apologies, I must have missed it- I don't see them (and still do not as of the AM of 11/12) in the original post or within any of the (4) attached docs.

James

Last edited by mastermaybe; 11-12-2014 at 08:24 AM.
post #874 of 879 Old 11-11-2014, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post
Adjust the half-space sensitivity whoever you like to reach an in-room sensitivity of 104 (or 105) dB (1/8 space, which is how it's used in-room). Anything else makes no sense.
Corrected to 104dB in-room, with a note that you need to use it in a corner.
psgcdn and garygarrison like this.
post #875 of 879 Old 11-11-2014, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Low Sensitivity Speakers Can Rock Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Belongs here? There are a few speakers with sensitivity in the 80's on the list.
There are a couple reasons for the medium-sensitivity speakers in the 80's:
  • The list is supposed to include high-output speakers, and one way to achieve high SPL is throwing a lot of watts at the drivers. I believe the Triad Golds are the highest-spec'd in terms of marketed output speaker on the list with sensitivity in the 80's (it's 89). This is with the assumption of 400w program based on what I could find (and I could be corrected if I'm off).
    Since it'd only need a two-thirds of its program power handling to achieve reference level from 12' away, I'd say it'll sound pretty good. The color coding of the cells, while looking garish and chaotic, does help point out anomolies of high-output and low sensitivity. Or vice versa.

For instance the Dynaudio M2 stands out for at 88dB sensitivity, but 500w power handling.
  • The other reason for speakers with sensitivities in the 80's is for illustrative purposes. I used to have many more, but I hid them since. I did keep on the list Ascend speakers that almost hit reference level with their peak-watts-speaker-is-almost-breaking power handling. And I kept the KRK Rokit RP10-3 on since it's a nearfield studio monitor. I'm sure it sounds great on your desk, but at 12 feet away, the 80w to the bass driver means it'd have 99dB peaks. And reference level would be 4x its peak power handling, let alone program watts that might be more indicative of a better-behaved performance.
post #876 of 879 Old 11-21-2014, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Can I suggest you have a look at these...
http://www.osbornloudspeakers.com.au/

In particular, the Monument and the Epitome Tower.

I have just purchased a pair of the Epitome (the smaller towers and without the add-on bass units (although I wish I could fit them into my room), and a C3 centre. I will soon be adding a pair of E2's for the sides and F2's for the rears.

These speakers are unbelievable. Even in a hotel demo room during an audio show, they stood above every other system on show, even those costing in excess of $250,000.
post #877 of 879 Old 11-22-2014, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Osborn Speakers

These are hand-built by Greg Osborn in Australia.
He goes to great length to build beautiful, inert cabinets with felt and lead, and they're pretty big.
Expensive drivers are used for lower distortion and greater power handling.

While he only started marketing, the site is confusing and poor, which may be some agency or Greg himself to blame.

http://www.osbornloudspeakers.com.au...epittower.html
Doesn't list the nominal impedance but the minimum is 5.8ohms.
"20 to 18000 Hz +/- 3 db. -10 db points 15 Hz and 21000Hz. Usable bass to 8 Hz."
Soft dome tweeter, 6.5" midrange, 2 x 12" woofers.
91dB sensitivity, 200w RMS.

One reviewer found that the mid and bass being out of phase would instead sound better with the polarity of the speaker reversed. The designer said he agreed and he's switched polarity now in drivers.
post #878 of 879 Unread Today, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
what
post #879 of 879 Unread Today, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member