List of Reference Level, High Sensitivity & SPL Speakers - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 19Likes
post #931 of 951 Old 03-18-2015, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked: 710
My M&K S-5000's could play really loud and much louder than specs indicated. Don Keele actually put 10kwatts into them before they started clipping the waveform! They could play reference easily and sound great doing so. Of course my new JBL speakers are better IMHO.

Yamaha RX-A2030
speakers- 9 Behringer B215XL's
subs- SI 18ht x12 IB powered by Sanway FP14K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 951 Old 04-26-2015, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Please add the Tannoy definition DC 10 ti's to your list. I brought my pair home Friday night and they sound spectacular at reference level. I know you have the definition 12 inch wall install on the list but these floor stands also handle the power beautifully.
post #933 of 951 Old 04-28-2015, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I would like to add JBL4722n speakers to this list. Great for cinema and music and highly sensitive so they can be ran with a receiver or external amp.
post #934 of 951 Old 04-29-2015, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish5225 View Post
Please add the Tannoy definition DC 10 ti's to your list. I brought my pair home Friday night and they sound spectacular at reference level. I know you have the definition 12 inch wall install on the list but these floor stands also handle the power beautifully.
The Tannoys were some of the first speakers added. Sure, I can add the middle child too! "Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!"

SEOS Fusion 10 Max, SVS PB10 and DIY SI18 subs, Denon X4000, Epson 8500 & 2.35:1 AT Screen
DIY Sound Group: Information and Tips
post #935 of 951 Old 04-29-2015, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post
I would like to add JBL4722n speakers to this list. Great for cinema and music and highly sensitive so they can be ran with a receiver or external amp.
The JBL's are naturally also among the first added years ago. I don't know when I added the 4722n, but it's on the Google spreadsheet.

SEOS Fusion 10 Max, SVS PB10 and DIY SI18 subs, Denon X4000, Epson 8500 & 2.35:1 AT Screen
post #936 of 951 Old 04-29-2015, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
I've always liked something about Tannoy ever since I heard one of there monitors ( don't know model num) years ago and was impressed. I'd love to hear the DC-10s in my theater compared to my JBL 4670Ds I recently parted together from used.

JBL Pro Cinema
GO MANCHESTER UNITED!!

Last edited by Reddig; 04-29-2015 at 06:17 PM.
post #937 of 951 Old 04-29-2015, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I guess the Tannoy would sound more "point-source-y" and less "wall of sound" ?

post #938 of 951 Old 04-29-2015, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyleron View Post
Prolly so, and more refined perhaps and smoother. Curious bout the midbass of the Tannoy too.

JBL Pro Cinema
GO MANCHESTER UNITED!!
post #939 of 951 Old 05-01-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
I've always liked something about Tannoy ever since I heard one of there monitors ( don't know model num) years ago and was impressed. I'd love to hear the DC-10s in my theater compared to my JBL 4670Ds I recently parted together from used.
If you're ever in Fort Collins send me a PM I would be happy to have you over.
post #940 of 951 Old 05-01-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Prolly so, and more refined perhaps and smoother. Curious bout the midbass of the Tannoy too.
The midbass is outstanding. Tight and detailed. It is a very refined sound but quite smooth. Just a pleasure to listen at any volume. I am truly hearing background music and vocals that I did not know existed on many tracks. I know Tannoy fell off the map in the US for quite awhile but these speakers are a bargain. I liked them substantially better than the KEF reference 3 which had a MSRP of 3k more.

Quote:
Definitely not a wall of sound but projects quite well into my kitchen which is 50 feet away. Still has a sweet spot about 16 feet.
Reddig likes this.
post #941 of 951 Old 05-01-2015, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you're ever in Fort Collins send me a PM I would be happy to have you over.
Thank you for the invite! Interestingly enough I lived in Ft. Collins for a year back in 2000. I worked at Ft Collins Motor Sports just off I-25. Loved that job. Great town.

JBL Pro Cinema
GO MANCHESTER UNITED!!
post #942 of 951 Old 05-02-2015, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The midbass is outstanding. Tight and detailed. It is a very refined sound but quite smooth. Just a pleasure to listen at any volume. I am truly hearing background music and vocals that I did not know existed on many tracks. I know Tannoy fell off the map in the US for quite awhile but these speakers are a bargain. I liked them substantially better than the KEF reference 3 which had a MSRP of 3k more.

Definitely not a wall of sound but projects quite well into my kitchen which is 50 feet away. Still has a sweet spot about 16 feet.

Nice man sounds like a great speaker. My JBLs have a very huge sound to them (as said a giant wall of sound)with lots of midbass that is vicious sounding and visceral especially at loud volumes without breaking up. Low volumes they can be smooth too.

JBL Pro Cinema
GO MANCHESTER UNITED!!
post #943 of 951 Old 05-02-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the invite! Interestingly enough I lived in Ft. Collins for a year back in 2000. I worked at Ft Collins Motor Sports just off I-25. Loved that job. Great town.
Yeah I'm pretty lucky to live here.
post #944 of 951 Old 07-24-2015, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Please add the JBL LSR 6328P to the list.

Also, are you considering adding subwoofers to the list? I am curious as to how LSR 6312SP vs JBL 3635 would handle 115dBSPL at 12'.

All in all, great post and research. Thank you for it!
post #945 of 951 Old 07-24-2015, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Please add the JBL LSR 6328P to the list.

Also, are you considering adding subwoofers to the list? I am curious as to how LSR 6312SP vs JBL 3635 would handle 115dBSPL at 12'.

All in all, great post and research. Thank you for it!
post #946 of 951 Old 07-24-2015, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The 6328 looks like a small to medium -field monitor. It would likely be at 106dB peak at 12 feet in an untreated room, but I'd say 103dB for less distortion. It's an 8" woofer.

I won't add subwoofers, but data-bass.com actually ranks, rates, tests, and reviews subs.

post #947 of 951 Old 07-28-2015, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
Removed < 105dB
With a heavy heart, I've hidden those speakers that cannot produce 105dB with their peak watt rating. It gets to be too confusing, I suspect, to have a list with a stated purpose, and then also see a smattering of other speakers that either almost made it, or are there to illustrate how much they don't make the grade.

I've put the bottom-feeders on another "naughty" list.

Seriously, many of those speakers are fantastic, for their own reasons. Beautiful cabinetry. Incredibly detailed. Great on and off-axis response. Smooth, buttery, etc. But I gotta draw the line some where.

Note that other speakers like the KRK Expose, and Procella P6 also fell off. As I learn more about how to interpret their active amps this might change, as they're only 1.4dB short!

I'm open to suggestions about this.

Corrected and Added Axioms
I read about the Axiom VP-160 today, and I was gratified to see, instead of three horizontal woofers, or two tweeters, instead I saw a design with two woofers, and a mid below the tweeter, which I understand mitigates lobing problems in the critical midrange. I thought, "I'd better add this, and other Axiom speakers to the List!"

I was aghast to find that the one Axiom speaker I'd added a while back had the sensitivity too low. Axiom is great in that they specify sensitivity as full space (anechoic). Their in-room sensitivity is always 4dB above anechoic, instead of the 3dB that others report. I'm curious as to the difference in calculations or measurements.

Anyway, to help atone for my mistake, I endeavored to add all the Axioms I could find that would be worthy of the List.

You'll find the M22 (corrected to 93dB), the M3, which is a larger bookshelf (92dB), the M50 floorstander (94dB and only $828 a pair), and the VP160 (93dB $570).

I do wish their frequency response was given with -3dB points, though.
And I don't know whether their "max amp power" means program power, and thus a recommended amp spec, or peak power? I assumed the former, but someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Added SVS
I had not paid much attention to SVS previously. I like the company, I own one of their subs. But I was disappointed to find that a company known for class-leading subs that are high-output, decided to make the majority of their speakers more intended for critical listening at closer distances, at lower volumes.

I know they, and fans, would vehemently disagree, but that doesn't change the fact that their sensitivities often range from 82 to 85dB. I'm sure that the design yields incredible detail and imaging, but I'm still really surprised. Reference level would require 1,500 to 2,670 watts, 500% to 1,100% over what they're rated to handle (and that's my giving their max power rating the benefit of the doubt that it was Program and not Peak!).

After adding the speakers, I later decided to hide those that can't do 105dB, so all but on SVSound speaker disappeared: MBS-02 (82.5dB), SBS-02 (82dB), and the SCS-02 (84.5dB). These speakers will do -10dB on a calibrated volume, if you feed them 300-400 peak watts. I don't know if an XPA-3 is a design with 3dB headroom as some are, but if so, then that amp would fine.

Their high-end tower, the MTS-02 ($1,399) makes the grade, even with only 88.5dB sensitivity, by virtue of the 600w power handling. If I'm wrong about their power numbers, then it'll fall off the list.
<a class="attachment loginreq" href="/attachments/8437" title="">Reference-Capable-Speakers.pdf 442.220703125k . file
When you say reference capable. --- does that account for room distance to MLP? Or does that simply mean at the speaker? My buddy, @stitch1 , has a pair of SVS SCS-01 speakers and we are going to try to test them soon with some compression sweeps. His speakers seem surprisingly capable when listening to them, but hitting about 115 peak dBs at the listening position (assuming a 10dB drop in spl from 1 meter to 3-4 meters in a room, with the speakers in a baffle wall behind an AT screen) it seems nearly impossible for them to truly be a reference capable speaker!?!?!?! We are going to try to figure it out.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #948 of 951 Old 07-28-2015, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I meant at the MLP, and I drew the line at 12 feet. More recently I realize in most rooms it's 3db double distance, instead of 6db. So that should allow more speakers on the list.

Conversely, I realize more how much distortion is present at the manufacturer's peak power handling, so I'd suggest half to quarter of what they spec as peak if we care about quality and not wincing on the peaks.

post #949 of 951 Old Today, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Hello Eyleron,

Thanks again for making this thread!

@stitch1 and I tested the SVS SCS-01 speakers last night (they are his), and while they are great sounding speakers, they are no where near true reference capable in my room. I'll post some compression sweeps up soon that I took with the omnimic. The softdome tweeter just can't go anywhere near as loud as needed to hit true reference at 13' feet behind a Seymour XD AT screen.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #950 of 951 Old Today, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Hello Eyleron,

Thanks again for making this thread!

@stitch1 and I tested the SVS SCS-01 speakers last night (they are his), and while they are great sounding speakers, they are no where near true reference capable in my room. I'll post some compression sweeps up soon that I took with the omnimic. The softdome tweeter just can't go anywhere near as loud as needed to hit true reference at 13' feet behind a Seymour XD AT screen.
Great. See if you can post some distortion graphs too. Would be very interesting to see distortion levels at say 10 db below reference and then at reference.
post #951 of 951 Unread Today, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 41
This is a fantastic thread!

Can anyone give me any comments on these two drivers:

I am currently testing this one in a custom build center speaker cabinet that someone has built for me:

http://www.usspeaker.com/radian%20512-2b-1.htm

This speaker is 94 db sensitive. Currently I only had the center channel built for me as I want to make sure it works well for the vocals etc as my past Triad Gold sounded too harsh on vocals when pushed beyond 10 db below reference.

I just received it and put it through 50 hours of break in using a break in trac. Is is ok at 10 db below reference (but then again so did my previous centre channel that was a Triad Classic Gold with soft dome tweeter that was only 90 db sensitive) but when I try to push it at reference it seems to be somewhat harsh so I am not very pleased so far (not as bad as my Triad but still harsh).

In addition for the current 94 db sensitive speaker that I am using when I do push it at say 5 db below reference I also hear some extra siblance on the "s". Not sure if this is due to the speaker being a coaxial woofer or due to pushing the speaker too much or both. I have read comments that sometimes coaxial have that "s" siblance issue.

Some back ground info:
- Preamp is Emotiva XMC-1
- Amp is 5 channel Sunfire 200 watts per channel
- I sit about 9 feet from the centre speaker
- Dedicated, treated and sealed HT room used 100% for movies measuring 11 ft wide x 17.5 ft long x 7.5 feet high.

Alternately I was also looking at this one mainly for its rated 102 db sensitivity:

http://www.usspeaker.com/radian%205312neo-1.htm

Will the 102 db sensitive speaker play better then the 94 db one that I currently have for reference levels or should 94 db sensitively be enough? I guess my question is for my distance is there a minimum sensitive speaker that I should be looking for in order to play at reference cleanly without any harshness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page