List of Reference Level, High Sensitivity & SPL Speakers - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #961 of 972 Old 02-25-2016, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXProSound View Post
Forgive me for being new to this. Just an old guy who loves audio.
You have listed several Professional grade speakers. Do many people really use these? I did pro installs for churches, schools and club for 20 years and have used dome of the model mentioned in this HT list. I did an HT for a guy using powered QSC boxes. The guy spent $100K plus on the room including 3D projector and screen and servos under all of the seats driven by a 12kW Crown Amp. I was crazy loud and did sound totally awesome and 100+db but during softer spoken parts you could hear the hiss coming from the 10kW worth of speakers.
In the land of AVS member insanity, there are many folks on AVS who use pro-audio speakers from JBL, QSC, JTR, Danley, etc..... and pro audio amps from Crown, QSC Behringer,etc.. I personally have a JBL pro set-up with Crown amps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 972 Old 02-29-2016, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 254
[QUOTE=Frohlich;41891001]In the land of AVS member insanity, there are many folks on AVS who use pro-audio speakers from JBL, QSC, JTR, Danley, etc..... and pro audio amps from Crown, QSC Behringer,etc.. I personally have a JBL pro set-up with Crown amps.[/QUOTE

+1

Yes in this land you'll find pro audio used in home cinemas to great effect. I also have a JBL Pro Cinema setup powered with vintage Crown amps.
post #963 of 972 Old 03-16-2016, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
did i miss something or are the behringers?, b212xl and b215xl not on the list
nomjolnir likes this.
post #964 of 972 Old 06-16-2016, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXProSound View Post
Forgive me for being new to this. Just an old guy who loves audio.
You have listed several Professional grade speakers. Do many people really use these? I did pro installs for churches, schools and club for 20 years and have used dome of the model mentioned in this HT list. I did an HT for a guy using powered QSC boxes. The guy spent $100K plus on the room including 3D projector and screen and servos under all of the seats driven by a 12kW Crown Amp. I was crazy loud and did sound totally awesome and 100+db but during softer spoken parts you could hear the hiss coming from the 10kW worth of speakers.
I'd think we'd want amps with higher signal to noise ratios with sensitive speakers.

SEOS Fusion 10 Max, Volt 10 LX, SVS PB10 and DIY SI18 subs, Denon X4000, Epson 8500 & 2.35:1 AT Screen
DIY Sound Group: Information and Tips
post #965 of 972 Old 06-16-2016, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyleron View Post
I'd think we'd want amps with higher signal to noise ratios with sensitive speakers.
Yes, and not only better (or adequate) measured, weighted, signal to noise ratios, but also spectral characteristics that cause noise (hiss, especially) to be less noticeable. I had two name brand pre/pros with highly similar measured S/N ratios; one had objectional hiss, hum, and buzz with my Klipschorns and the other didn't. The one that did have the noise measured fine (measurement done by the manufacturer). The noise came from beyond the volume control, i.e., turning down the volume didn't help. When the pre/pro was turned off, there was no noise (except when a few feet from the Khorns), so it was not the power amp. The dealer and I checked, and found NO hum loop. Replacing the pre/pro with another make and model fixed the problem.
post #966 of 972 Old 06-21-2016, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 996
Thumbs up

Hey @Eyleron , I stumbled upon these awesome looking Danish speakers the other day...

Quoted specs are a bit sketchy... I had to hunt for the sensitivity and maximum SPL conditions:

Operating range: 65Hz (-3dB) to 40kHz
Axial sensitivity (whole space SPL) LF/MF-HF: 110dB/1W/1m
Nominal beamwidth; horizontal, vertical: 90º, 40º
Impedance nominal minimum:
Recommended HPF: 80Hz; 24dB/octave
Maximum power handling: 140W
Calculated axial output limit (whole space SPL), average peak LF/MF-HF (30W): 130dB @1m
[UK price.]

Specs for all of Artcoustic's speakers are summarised here: http://www.artcoustic.com/speaker-comparison-tables/.

post #967 of 972 Old 06-21-2016, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
Hey @Eyleron , I stumbled upon these awesome looking Danish speakers the other day...

Quoted specs are a bit sketchy... I had to hunt for the sensitivity and maximum SPL conditions:
Operating range: 65Hz (-3dB) to 40kHz
Axial sensitivity (whole space SPL) LF/MF-HF: 110dB/1W/1m
Nominal beamwidth; horizontal, vertical: 90º, 40º
Impedance nominal minimum:
Recommended HPF: 80Hz; 24dB/octave
Maximum power handling: 140W
Calculated axial output limit (whole space SPL), average peak LF/MF-HF (30W): 130dB @1m
[UK price.]

Specs for all of Artcoustic's speakers are summarised here: http://www.artcoustic.com/speaker-comparison-tables/.

Wow! All the design problems of an MTM centre and a pseudo line array in one convenient package.
post #968 of 972 Old 06-21-2016, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post
Wow! All the design problems of an MTM centre and a pseudo line array in one convenient package.
Yes, but they claim high sensitivity/SPL.

I take it they're seriously flawed? I'm broadly across the issues of a horizontal MTM, but have no idea about line array theory.
post #969 of 972 Old 06-22-2016, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
I take it they're seriously flawed? I'm broadly across the issues of a horizontal MTM, but have no idea about line array theory.
Line arrays have two main problems in my experience. The first is that the MF/HF drivers are side by side, putting lobing issues on the horizontal axis rather than the vertical where it is generally less of an issue. The second is, that the taller the panel, the greater the time of flight difference is between the top and bottom drivers versus the central ones. This results in strong comb filtering and is annoyingly audible to me. It makes it sound unfocussed for want of a more technical description. Large panels like electrostatics and Magneplanars are the same.

The MF drivers in this design are quite small about 4" by eyeball. That gives them the area (Sd) of about 52cm^2 so the total area is 1248cm^2 or about the same as a pro 18" driver. The problem is that small drivers have a small Xmax so the volumetric displacement which determines SPL is not going to be the same as a pro driver, so the drivers will be using a larger % of their Xmax than the pro 18 to get the same SPL. More excursion from rest, the more distortion. Also, because a large number of drivers are used in my experience they are cheaper units than designs using a smaller number of drivers in a more conventional way, and the drivers will have to be wired in series/parallel to get the impedance to a reasonable number. Let's hypothesise they are in groups of 3, which are then paralleled; each driver will see the inductance and the Le(x) of the other two, reducing rise rate and increasing distortion.

Even very expensive designs with lots of high quality drivers still have these issues, but to a lesser extent. Many years ago we built a 3 way line array based upon a similar design, just longer and using ribbons for the HF and using a separate enclosure for the LF drivers. Compared to a number of other designs such as a coaxial (compared using the same LF array) we could never seem to get the midrange clarity and imaging of the point sources, through the dynamics were quite good.

It would be interesting to try to work around the TOF differences, by outputting to multiple DACs and amps (1/driver) with small delays to adjust for the TOF differences as much as possible, but that will have to be a project for someone else.

Gotta go shortly. I'm being dragooned to some function. Apparently there is some football match being played tonight, and I'm not a fan.
GIEGAR likes this.
post #970 of 972 Old 06-24-2016, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Does Goldenear speakers reach reference?

I have Triton 5's which are not their best, and I measure reference levels in my rather large room with them..
post #971 of 972 Old 07-26-2016, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Just stumbled on this thread. Great info, thanks for putting it together!

Can you add the Monitor Audio Gold series, specifically the 300 towers? I'm curious how those stack up.
post #972 of 972 Old 07-26-2016, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantage78 View Post
I'm curious how those stack up.
Not HE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement