Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
First off my setup..
Center= CSi A6
L-R= RTi A5
Rear= RTi A3
Sub= HSU VT3-MK4
AMP= Denon 2112
All equipment bought new and installed the first of December.

Ok my problem... I'm noticing what I think is distortion (crackling noise) coming from my tweeters on my fronts and my L-R speakers. It only seems to happen while watching certain movies on HBO HD. I have not noticed it while watching DVD's. It happens no matter what my volume level is.
At first I thought my crossover settings got screwed up. But when I checked there all still set at 90. For shits and giggles I raised them all to 250 and it is still just as bad. Then I checked my speaker settings. There still all set to "small". And in case it matters I'm watching in movie mode in Dolby Digital.

The most recent movie was How to Train a dragon. The odd thing was I could switch to the non-hd channel and it would go away.

Have any of you experienced this before? If so is there some thing I can do to fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-16-2012, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Liked: 16
Try listening to the same channel but at lower volumes,and put your ear next to your speaker that way you can see rather it's distorting. Another great test is listening to some music with very high dynamics like jazz smooth jazz etc. If you haven't ran to many on dvd's it could be hbo the way they broadcast the audio aka running it hot on their end.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-16-2012, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Turn the crossover down to 80 hz and you can try as low as 60 hz no need to have crossover so high

I would check the volume on your cable box.

I am willing to bet $100 that it's just a poor recording on the hbo movies if you don't notice it elsewhere or on the non hd channels. Might be a cable box issue
post #4 of 6 Old 01-17-2012, 12:22 AM

Liked: 18
I have a cable box that does messed up stuff. It makes a pop and often a static noise after a while. I was never able to solve it. But if you can get your cable company to replace the box. For me we notice it on some channels but not others and alot of the poping happens during what are clearly very low quality commercials. You know like the local used car salesman.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-17-2012, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 250
If it is a speaker problem, it is probably a voice coil scraping due to cone warping or a tear in the cone surround. Look at the cones for any sign of anything being physically uneven or off-center and listen for a scraping sound at high volume.

It really seems more likely that you have a problem with the audio quality from the cable or satellite receiver though. Try a CD player or some other audio source and see if you can hear it.

If it is the speaker, it is good to nail it down while under warranty.

Ok my problem... I'm noticing what I think is distortion (crackling noise) coming from my tweeters on my fronts and my L-R speakers. It only seems to happen while watching certain movies on HBO HD. I have not noticed it while watching DVD's. It happens no matter what my volume level is.
At first I thought my crossover settings got screwed up. But when I checked there all still set at 90. For shits and giggles I raised them all to 250 and it is still just as bad. Then I checked my speaker settings. There still all set to "small". And in case it matters I'm watching in movie mode in Dolby Digital.

The most recent movie was How to Train a dragon. The odd thing was I could switch to the non-hd channel and it would go away.

Have any of you experienced this before? If so is there some thing I can do to fix it?[/quote]
post #6 of 6 Old 01-17-2012, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Thanks for your help guys. I have turned the vol way down and put my ear against the speaker and the sound is still there. I then put in Lord of the rings on DVD and the sound was gone.

While I was screwing with this the wife informed me that channel 2 which is the commercial channel (real estate, car dealers ect) does it all the time. When I switched to it the popping was even coming from my rear speakers. She also informed me that the local non-hd news channels does it as well.

I'm guessing you guys might be right about it being a cable box issue or a broad cast issue. I will call them today and see if I can trade this in.

Also thanks crazy for your crossover suggestion. I will move it down to 80.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page