Need help creating new Home Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I am new to the avsforums as well as to the concept of component home theater systems. Over the last two years i have purchased two "Home Theater in a Box" systems and i must say that i was dissapointed with both systems. Currently i have a samsung HT-C555 home theater system. While it performs average in mid range volumes, while turning up the volume i get a lot of distortion and jitter in the sound. The specifications of the HT-C555 (my current home theater system) is as follows.

The amplifier (along with the dvd player, radio tuner etc) is rated at 1000w.
Front speaker output= 166w x2 at 3 ohm
Surround speaker output= 166w x2 at 3 ohm
Center = 166w at 3 ohm
Subwoofer = 170w at 3 ohm.
Frequency range= 20hz-20khz
Signal to noise ratio=65db

The specifications of the speakers are
Front\\Surround\\center frequency range= 140hz-20khz.
Front\\Surround\\center impedance= 3 ohm
Front\\Surround\\center rated input= 166w
Subwoofer 40hz-160hz @ 3 ohm @ 170w.

So i guess what this means is that the amp can deliver 166w/c at 3 ohm right. I do not know much about speakers and amplifiers. But i know enough to realize that the system i currently own is low quality.

So i am now on a quest to build a component home theater system with a budget. My living room is around 16ft by 16 ft.

For now i have selected a few components, i would like your advice on whether these components are compatible with each other. I've read that if i dont select the correct speaker impedance for the av receiver i could potentially fry it at high volumes.

Here are the components

Front and Surround speakers=

Frequency range = 40hz-20khz.
Power Handling = 40w-180w.
Impedance= 4 ohm -8 ohm

Center Speaker has basically the same specifications.
I havent selected a subwoofer quite yet, but was actually planning on going for two subwoofers. I like more bass in a system.

My choice of receiver was the

sony STR-DH520 or the onkyo TX-SR309
(sorry i still cannot post links cuz this is my first post)

What i want to know is whether these speakers will work with these two receivers. Will they create problems such as the receiver over heating etc. Why have they mentioned an impedance range for the speaker set instead of giving a definite value.

Also hypothetically if i get a reciever which is not capable of processing either dolby digital or DTS, yet my Blu-ray player is capable of processing both sound formats, will i be able to output that through an optical cable to the reciever and will the reciever correctly send the sound output signals to the correct speakers in turn?

I would greatly appreciate your help and advice in this regard.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 436
And what was the name of the new speakers - and what is
the real budget?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #3 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

The speakers are a brand called OLAN, and my budget is around 1000$
post #4 of 10 Old 01-19-2012, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yajnas View Post

Hi All,

I am new to the avsforums as well as to the concept of component home theater systems. Over the last two years i have purchased two "Home Theater in a Box" systems and i must say that i was dissapointed with both systems. Currently i have a samsung HT-C555 home theater system. While it performs average in mid range volumes, while turning up the volume i get a lot of distortion and jitter in the sound. The specifications of the HT-C555 (my current home theater system) is as follows.

The amplifier (along with the dvd player, radio tuner etc) is rated at 1000w.
Front speaker output= 166w x2 at 3 ohm
Surround speaker output= 166w x2 at 3 ohm
Center = 166w at 3 ohm
Subwoofer = 170w at 3 ohm.
Frequency range= 20hz-20khz
Signal to noise ratio=65db

The specifications of the speakers are
Front\\Surround\\center frequency range= 140hz-20khz.
Front\\Surround\\center impedance= 3 ohm
Front\\Surround\\center rated input= 166w
Subwoofer 40hz-160hz @ 3 ohm @ 170w.

So i guess what this means is that the amp can deliver 166w/c at 3 ohm right. I do not know much about speakers and amplifiers. But i know enough to realize that the system i currently own is low quality.

So i am now on a quest to build a component home theater system with a budget. My living room is around 16ft by 16 ft.

For now i have selected a few components, i would like your advice on whether these components are compatible with each other. I've read that if i dont select the correct speaker impedance for the av receiver i could potentially fry it at high volumes.

Here are the components

Front and Surround speakers=

Frequency range = 40hz-20khz.
Power Handling = 40w-180w.
Impedance= 4 ohm -8 ohm

Center Speaker has basically the same specifications.
I havent selected a subwoofer quite yet, but was actually planning on going for two subwoofers. I like more bass in a system.

My choice of receiver was the

sony STR-DH520 or the onkyo TX-SR309
(sorry i still cannot post links cuz this is my first post)

What i want to know is whether these speakers will work with these two receivers. Will they create problems such as the receiver over heating etc. Why have they mentioned an impedance range for the speaker set instead of giving a definite value.

Also hypothetically if i get a reciever which is not capable of processing either dolby digital or DTS, yet my Blu-ray player is capable of processing both sound formats, will i be able to output that through an optical cable to the reciever and will the reciever correctly send the sound output signals to the correct speakers in turn?

I would greatly appreciate your help and advice in this regard.

Thank you.

Have you already bought these speakers?
post #5 of 10 Old 01-19-2012, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

No i havent
post #6 of 10 Old 01-19-2012, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You will get many opinions on setups. But with a budget of $1,000 its going to be very very hard to get a quality AV receiver and a 5.2 setup. But you can get a decent AV receiver and 5 decent speakers.

Speakers.
Google or do a search on this board for:
Energy take Classic 5.1 - But this setup is small speakers. If you want small speakers look at the Energy Micros or the Take Classic 5.0 and get a better subwoofer such as a BIC F12. The 5 speaker Take Classics without the subs can be had cheap at places like Amazon (Search for Energy Take Classic 5.0). But these are not ideal. Better option is below.

Also look at Polk Monitor series (you can get Monitor 70's, as CS1 or 2, and monitor 30's for surrounds for about $500-$600 if you shop carefully (look for sales at Newegg).
As for the AVR, the two receivers you are looking at are pretty low end. You are going to want something with some sort of room correction I would think or guess. If you like Onkyo look at the TX-NR609 (although it will not EQ your subs), or the Yamaha offerings that offer YPAO room correction (such as the RX-V671 - but this also will not EQ your subs). These two receivers can be had sub $400 if you shop wisely (look at places like Newegg and Amazon, Electronics Expo (you have to call to get sales prices) and others).

You might not be able to get the 2 subs right now. At least within that budget for anything you would want to have. But in reality, unless your room is a completely open concept, you should only need 1 fairly good quality sub for provide a lot more bass than your HTIB setup...

Too many toys
post #7 of 10 Old 01-19-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yajnas View Post

The speakers are a brand called OLAN, and my budget is around 1000$

Where are you from? There should be other choices, and you should
be able to do better.

Is this it?
http://www.crowninvestments.lk/brand...ails.php?aa=57

Which ones are you looking at here?
http://www.crowninvestments.lk/brand...ucts.php?ty=40

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #8 of 10 Old 01-19-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 156
With the Polk Monitor series, you might get enough bass to not have a subwoofer for awhile. Refurb'd AV receiver are one way to get more bang for the buck.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #9 of 10 Old 01-19-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

With the Polk Monitor series, you might get enough bass to not have a subwoofer for awhile. Refurb'd AV receiver are one way to get more bang for the buck.

Agreed. Polk Monitor 60 or 70 towers would likely give you as much--or even more bass--than you are currently getting out of that Samsung setup.

However, you should be able to put together a Polk Monitor set with sub and receiver within your budget. Through today, Newegg has the Polk Audio Monitor70 for $300 for the pair. The Polk Audio CS2 center channel is $100. And Polk Audio Monitor30 are $80 a pair. Get a BIC F12, and then that leaves $300 for the receiver.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #10 of 10 Old 01-20-2012, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Hi all,

Thanks for the quick replies. I am actually from sri lanka, so its really hard to get quality speakers here. If I wanted speakers like the POLK monitor series, they would cost three times as much here in my country because of the import tax duty. The sony STR dh520 receiver which retails for only 249$ in the USA retails for around 700$ here. I was mistaken when i said my budget was 1000$, it's actually around 1600$. I have also given up on the OLAN brand of speakers as they seem low quality.

I have a cousin flying in from switzerland in a months time, maybe I could get him to bring the speakers and the receiver. If so i could probably go for a betterquality receiver. What is the setup that you would recommend for a mid range home theater system, with the speakers.

Again thanks for the quick replies.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page