Small floorstanding speakers vs. standmount speakers & sub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-19-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I`m just curious as to what your thoughts are on this topic. I know this has been debated before but I couldn`t find much out there on this. The reason I ask is I`m currently using PMC FB1i`s with an Esoteric AI-10 integrated amp and a Bryston BCD-1 cd player in a small to mid size room, 16x13x8 with an open staircase. The room is fully furnished and carpeted and the speakers must be place about a foot off the wall. I realize that standmounts will not go as low in the base extension but paired with a good sub could sound as good or better than some smaller floorstanding speakers. I`m looking for a wider soundstage /dispersion and a fuller sound . The bass and clarity is pretty good on the PMC`s. If you have any suggestions for good standmount & sub combos that may better the PMC FB1i`s or any other small floorstanders that may sound better with my situation please suggest some. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-19-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Budget?

Size or aesthetic constraints?

post #3 of 7 Old 01-19-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

Budget?

Size or aesthetic constraints?

Range of $3500 - $6000 CDN/US. Not looking for huge speakers but a small floorstander or standmount & smaller sub, aesthetics are not an issue.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-19-2012, 12:08 PM

Your PMC's are very good speakers. I'm surprised to hear that you're having dispersion issues. Have you tried different speaker placements? I would definitely get a sub if I were you. I agree with you that it would take a mighty floodstander to compare with your PMC's. Have you though about a PMC sub? Are you not happy with your PMC's?
post #5 of 7 Old 01-19-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrenmc View Post

Range of $3500 - $6000 CDN/US. Not looking for huge speakers but a small floorstander or standmount & smaller sub, aesthetics are not an issue.

There are many, many options in that price range.

My personal bias would lead to considering Salk HT1 or SoundScape M7 (talk to Jim and see of front-ported that close to the wall would be best) paired with either a Rythmik F12 or the same components in a custom built Salk cabinet.

The rave reviews of the new Philharmonic PhilHarmonitors make them worth considering too.

post #6 of 7 Old 01-19-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofarzong View Post

Your PMC's are very good speakers. I'm surprised to hear that you're having dispersion issues. Have you tried different speaker placements? I would definitely get a sub if I were you. I agree with you that it would take a mighty floodstander to compare with your PMC's. Have you though about a PMC sub? Are you not happy with your PMC's?

I can`t place the speakers anywhere else. I don`t have a dedicated listening room to move them around in. I`d love to get a small sub but my amp does not have a sub out. It`s not that I`m not happy, they are a great speaker but I`m always looking to improve.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-19-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

There are many, many options in that price range.

My personal bias would lead to considering Salk HT1 or SoundScape M7 (talk to Jim and see of front-ported that close to the wall would be best) paired with either a Rythmik F12 or the same components in a custom built Salk cabinet.

The rave reviews of the new Philharmonic PhilHarmonitors make them worth considering too.

Thanks for the suggestion. The Salks sure have beautiful cabinets. Will check them all out.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page