Karaoke speakers: Polk Audio 70 or Bose 301v? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-19-2012, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
rbfatality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My first post please be gentle . I am thinking of getting a pair of speakers for karaoke.

How does Polk 70 compare to Bose 301V?
rbfatality is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 01-19-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,298
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 171
not really the best in my opinion for karaoke

Bose definitely not. Polk's aren't designed for it

Something this would be better set up
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Soundcra...81-i1850562.gc
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 01-19-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I use my RC-10s for some karaoke (well not me but the gf) and Im curious to what makes a speaker "good" for karaoke?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 01-19-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,270
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Neither of those would be good for karaoke IMO. The Bose is an awful speaker for ANYTHING; it is just terrible.

I suggest the Cerwin-Vega VE-12, which Amazon has for $279/pair.

They have a 12-inch woofer to give plenty of bass and are very powerful and efficient. They should be very good for karaoke.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rbfatality View Post

My first post please be gentle . I am thinking of getting a pair of speakers for karaoke.

How does Polk 70 compare to Bose 301V?

commsysman is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 01-19-2012, 05:47 PM
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
What ever fits your budget. Here is a listing of some more http://www.pssl.com/Speakers JBL's are still one of the better choices for dj's, next is Peavey's. If it was me, I would be going with powered speakers, vs. passive for dj'ing or Karaoke. You want everything to fit in as small of a package, but not have to haul a ton of equipment.

You may be also able to find a decent used set that someone is getting out of the business, or has traded up. Check local music shops out.
gregzoll is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 01-20-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
I've been using the Infinity P362 + BIC PL-200 sub for karaoke for a while. Everyone says they sound fantastic. The key is the $100 Yamaha mixer! Must have a mixer. Otherwise nothing sounds as good!

At first I thought the infinity speakers were not adequate. So I bought 2 yamaha professional speakers. They cost $1300/pr. They did not sound as good as the P362.

So then I bought the mixer. Wow. What a difference. Now the P362 sound great for karaoke. But you must also get a subwoofer. It doesn't have to cost a lot. But you need a sub and mixer for sure.

The P362 is an accurate speaker. Max SPL is probably around 110dB, which is fine with me since I'm not singing outdoors.

My room size is 18' x 20' x 10' ceiling, open to 3 sides.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 01-20-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

I've been using the Infinity P362 + BIC PL-200 sub for karaoke for a while. Everyone says they sound fantastic. The key is the $100 Yamaha mixer! Must have a mixer. Otherwise nothing sounds as good!

At first I thought the infinity speakers were not adequate. So I bought 2 yamaha professional speakers. They cost $1300/pr. They did not sound as good as the P362.

So then I bought the mixer. Wow. What a difference. Now the P362 sound great for karaoke. But you must also get a subwoofer. It doesn't have to cost a lot. But you need a sub and mixer for sure.

The P362 is an accurate speaker. Max SPL is probably around 110dB, which is fine with me since I'm not singing outdoors.

My room size is 18' x 20' x 10' ceiling, open to 3 sides.

How different would it be to use like a vocopro mixer?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 01-20-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

How different would it be to use like a vocopro mixer?

I'm not sure. I have 1 of those $600 hard drive karaoke machines. It has 3 microphone inputs. It does not sound very good. I also have a $500 Pioneer karaoke machine w/ 3 mic inputs. Doesn't sound very good either. Speakers would crackle. Sounded awful. That was when I tried those huge Yamaha cab pro speakers w/ dual 15" woofers & the horn w/ SPL rating of 135dB. Didn't help at all.

Then I got the $100 Yamaha mixer from Amazon and never looked back since. So now the $600 karaoke machine is hooked to the Yamaha mixer which is hooked to my Denon 3310.

But that is just my personal experience. Perhaps the Vocopro works wonders as well. I never tried the Vocopro.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 01-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Member
 
greddy09sc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

I'm not sure. I have 1 of those $600 hard drive karaoke machines. It has 3 microphone inputs. It does not sound very good. I also have a $500 Pioneer karaoke machine w/ 3 mic inputs. Doesn't sound very good either. Speakers would crackle. Sounded awful. That was when I tried those huge Yamaha cab pro speakers w/ dual 15" woofers & the horn w/ SPL rating of 135dB. Didn't help at all.

Then I got the $100 Yamaha mixer from Amazon and never looked back since. So now the $600 karaoke machine is hooked to the Yamaha mixer which is hooked to my Denon 3310.

But that is just my personal experience. Perhaps the Vocopro works wonders as well. I never tried the Vocopro.

What model Yamaha is it? I'm interested in getting one. I have a Vocopro too but want to hear the difference.
greddy09sc is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 01-24-2012, 07:59 AM
Member
 
greddy09sc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think a good mixer for karaoke must have a 'echo' and 'reverb' knob.
greddy09sc is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Bose Stereo Loudspeakers 301 V

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off