Trying to replace Mirage OS3-FS fronts¢er... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-20-2012, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not really happy with the power and overall volume of my Mirage OS3-FS and OS3-CC. I'm looking to replace all three of them (so a new set of left, right and center). I'll be in a 1000 sq ft. apartment for the near future, so we're not talking about a huge home or anything.

Right now for a receiver I have a Pioneer Elite SC-05, and almost 100% use the system for home theater bluray viewing.

I've done the search thing, but honestly, a bit overwhelmed and not sure. Can anyone throw out a few options to consider or get me going in the right direction? Oh, and I don't have rears right now, but could easily add a budget pair if anyone wants to throw out some suggestions. Overall, I'd like to be below $1500 total, but if its something that will last, I could push that to $2500 for front+rear.

P.S. - I will have a subwoofer; working on finishing my Shiva X project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-21-2012, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Well, if you like the sound, you can get 2 x Mirage OMD-15 and and OMD-C1 for $1350 shipped at Vanns. It's a world of difference from the OS3.

Or frankly, just try swapping out that center with an OMD C1. That's the weakest link. If you really don't like it, Vanns takes returns and the cost to ship back isn't huge.

Are you listening to the OS3 now without a sub? Because they are just not designed for that, unlike most floorstanders they cannot be used for HT without a sub.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-21-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 239
That is a very nice receiver you have. It will really sound great when you choose some good-sounding speakers that will do it justice.

If a friend asked me about the best-sounding speakers to buy and gave me a list of 10 brands he might want to consider to rank in order of best sound quality for the dollar, I would be likely to rank DefTech, Sony, and Mirage right at the bottom of the list every time, no matter what the other 7 brands were. It does not surprise me that you are unhappy with the sound of your speakers; I am sure that I would be too in your place.

You can buy some very good speakers for $1500; speakers that sound GREAT!

The best by far would be the PSB Image T5 and Image C5 speakers. These are speakers that have won plaudits from the press around the world for their excellent sound quality. You can get those for $1400 total from Audio Advisor or hundreds of other dealers world-wide. A pair of Image B4 rears would add $330.

My second choice would be the Monitor Audio Bronze BX-6 and BX Center, which would also cost around $1400. A pair of M2 rears would add $330.

Either one of these speaker sets will IMO sound so much better than what you have now that it will open up a whole new appreciation of how good things can sound. You have a very nice receiver, and it can sound great with the right speakers.

I have been using the PSB Image T6 speakers for the past year now with an Audio Research preamp and Bryston power amplifier, and the sound is to die for...lol. IMO PSB makes speakers that are incredibly good for their price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx00 View Post

I'm not really happy with the power and overall volume of my Mirage OS3-FS and OS3-CC. I'm looking to replace all three of them (so a new set of left, right and center). I'll be in a 1000 sq ft. apartment for the near future, so we're not talking about a huge home or anything.

Right now for a receiver I have a Pioneer Elite SC-05, and almost 100% use the system for home theater bluray viewing.

I've done the search thing, but honestly, a bit overwhelmed and not sure. Can anyone throw out a few options to consider or get me going in the right direction? Oh, and I don't have rears right now, but could easily add a budget pair if anyone wants to throw out some suggestions. Overall, I'd like to be below $1500 total, but if its something that will last, I could push that to $2500 for front+rear.

P.S. - I will have a subwoofer; working on finishing my Shiva X project.

post #4 of 6 Old 01-21-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
BTW another option if you're looking for something in a slim tower is the NHT Absolute Tower.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-21-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

I was actually looking at the PSB speakers commsysman recommended, or rather one step up. So right now from some basic research my list includes:

- PSB Image T5
- PSB Image T6
- Polk Audio RTI A7
- Klipsch Synergy F-30
- Klipsch RF-52 II (I heard these are a bit harsh, but my usage is almost 100% movies and tv series, all in DTS/etc.)
- Polk Monitor 60 or 70 (I saw commsysman recommend these to someone in another thread - wondering how the PSB stack up against these)
- Infinity Primus P362 (another option on the cheaper side)

I gather though the PSB speakers are the clear winner here? I kind of am leaning towards tower speakers for sure, the bookshelf don't make sense for me because I have the room easily for towers, I didn't see a reason to go with smaller bookshelf.

I do like the Image T5 in terms of price range - lets me save a bit and then get the Image C5, as well as room to consider rear speakers. Would I gain a ton with the Image T6's? Assume I would have to give up a Center speaker for the time being - so they would need to stand on their own for a bit...

Thanks for the help everyone - AVS is always so helpful to bounce some ideas around with some smart audio guys
post #6 of 6 Old 01-21-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quick question on PSB Image T6 - what is the center I would pair this with?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page