Best In-Ceiling - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-21-2012, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know everyone hates in-ceiling speakers (i get it so i don't want to hear it), but I have no choice aesthetically. So on that note, what are the best in-ceiling speakers that will help eliminate the "sound from above" effect and give clarity to both music and voices (*important*) when watching movies/TV. I've looked at DefTechs, BWs, and Episodes (recommended by the custom installer). Any opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What is your budget? I would recommend two basic tactics in your search
1. make sure at a minimum that your center speaker is directional
2. help ensure sound quality by purchasing enclosed in-ceiling (very few out there) or include in your budget a means to enclose it - such as a flexible dynaBox by Dynamat if you do not want to rip your ceiling apart.

I have in-walls as my mains and 4 surrounds, but had to go with directional in-ceiling as my center with dynabox as an enclosure.

I have had several people over and they all say that it sounds amazing. Dialog is very clear..

One other question - what brand and type of speakers are your mains?. I would recommend trying to stay in the same family for "timber matching"
post #3 of 10 Old 01-21-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

i've been looking at the boxed enclosed speakers that several companies offer with the angled speakers (BW CCM7.4 for example). my budget is kind of wide open (less than a couple of thousand on 5 speakers). I just want to make sure that I can hear the full range of voice and audio for both music AND TV
post #4 of 10 Old 01-22-2012, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

The B&Ws CCM 7.4 are very good speakers - not sure you will be able to stay under your couple thousand budget goal. I believe they run about $1K a piece. That is $3K on your front 3 alone. Def techs are also very good speakers - I do not know anything about Episodes

Regarding your desire to make sure you can hear the full range of voice and audio...a huge influencer will be your acoustic influences in the room. One of the biggest impact since you are looking at in-ceiling will be the refective properties of your floor (harwood, tile, carpet). Hopefully you have carpet. In addition, a good Audessey type acoustic room correction via your AVR/processor can do wonders to help compensate and create a better listening experience. It did for me.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-22-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I will check that out! As far as the acoustics, it will be hardwood, but it will be 85% covered by an area rug so hopefully that will help. My greatest area of concern is the open wall on the left side that might rob much of the sound. I guess in this instance, it is paramount to have your directional tweeters positioned correctly. A lot of the nicer "square" speakers from DefTech and BW are more expensive because they add in more woofers, but not tweeters. Is there a danger of highs getting lost in this configuration?

Also, Im probably going to use an Integra receiver and I'm pretty sure it has Audyessy technology.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-22-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I think the word best and your budget aren't going to work well together, but you may want to check out Polk new vanishing series. They are sealed and may meet your budget. However, if you want their best, look at their RTS line.

http://www.polkaudio.com/customaudio....php#vanishing

Also look at Def Tech RCS line.

http://definitivetech.com/Products/Inwall/default.aspx

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #7 of 10 Old 01-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Yes Integra should have Audyessey - in case you do not know, Integra is Onkyo.

I would not worry abut the additional mids in the speakers - 1 tweeter per speaker is fine. Having directional speakers is the key given your challenges. I would go with directional on all 5 speakers if you can swing it. IMHO I would spend the majority on your front 3 and perhaps down grade on the surrounds if you need to.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-23-2012, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

No I actually did not know Integra was an Onkyo brand. I have had Onkyo in the past and have been satisfied. Is the Integra similar to the Elite for Pioneer?

Also, I was planning on using directionals for all, especially the front 3 (http://www.snapav.com/p-417-es-700-point-6.aspx) and even one of these (http://www.snapav.com/p-418-es-ht700-iclcr-5.aspx) for the center.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-23-2012, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, Integra is considered the elite brand of Onkyo - in theory they use better parts, but I can't confirm.

IMHO I would use the same speaker (700 LCR) for the front three for output and power balance and use the smaller one for the two surrounds.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-23-2012, 06:58 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 212
The recessed center you linked to would seem like a better choice if those were your choices. Why would you get different models/types for L&R when compared to center? Match them across the front, all three LCR's, and I'd angle the L&R toward the primary LP as well.

Also, once installed, experiment with the audible effects of the grill, on and off. If the grill off is preferred and aesthetically acceptable, go with it. Depending on where the LCR's are placed, front wall SBIR attenuation could be extremely helpful for center channel clarity and overall articulation across the front. The manner in which a loudspeaker interacts with the adjacent sidewall-front wall boundaries can cause significant nulls in response. These effects can be mitigated by either placement, or attenuation of the energy to the rear/side toward the offending boundary.

Here's a brief tutorial on SBIR from AVS'er Paul Spencer from his excellent blog; Red Spade

Here's another from HTS; Home Theater Shack

Good luck

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page