Old 02-27-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim2000 View Post

I have read various forum postings of Polk Monitor series II speakers and these e55ti's being driven bu emotiva amps. The results are, of course, outstanding, but as GSDTrainer states, spending 2-3 times more on the amps to power $800 (not $400) speakers is a bit over board. The e55ti's are $800 speakers but in this thread they $400 speakers because of the sale.

The VSX 1121 should power the e55ti's just fine.

I agree. Spend your money on better speakers, instead.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Old 02-27-2012, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks the e55ti's are no longer in the "b" stock sale, just the e5ti's. The sub is also gone from clearance.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe the list will update with some bookshelf speakers...
Old 02-27-2012, 01:07 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin86 View Post

Maybe the list will update with some bookshelf speakers...

i'm really hoping on centers or surrounds

as far as the amps i'll wait and see what they sound like through the receiver. but thanks everyone for the info. so is that how it works, if your speakers aren't worth more than a few thousand $'s it not worth using an external amp? here's what Emotiva had to say about just the receiver's power:

Take a close look at the specs of most popular receivers. Now, take the top cover off, and ask yourself, how did they do it? How could that small transformer, a couple of capacitors and that little heat sink and fan be generating and dissipating all the power claimed?

Here's a typical power spec from a popular name-brand receiver that sells for around $2,000:

120W x 7 (8 Ohm 20-20kHz 0.09%THD) - Sounds great, doesn't it? But look a little deeper into the specifications, and you'll see it again, but listed as a 'Channel Power Rating'. What does that mean? It's called 'fine print...a disclaimer.

It means that one (maybe two) channels can make that rated output, at that specification for a finite amount of time. It doesn't mean that all seven channels, working at the same time, and at the same power level, can come anywhere close to the cumulative power rating of 840 watts that the specs indicate at first glance (7 x 120 = 840). You get the idea. Something had to give. That something was power.

So what's the answer? More power. In order to deliver a lifelike, clear and engaging cinematic and musical experience, you need REAL POWER...and LOTS OF IT. You need to give that receiver of yours a shot of adrenaline.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer View Post

IMO overboard. Listen to the speakers with the SVX-1121 first. General rule of thumb is your AVR/amp combo should be 25% of the cost of your speakers. If the SVX delivers 80 WPC (real world) and you put a 200WPC amp to drive the speakers you are only gaining 3dB's. Is gaining 3 dB really worth all that extra money? Say you buy an Emotive XPA-3 for &700 barnd new, paid $500 for the SVX, that means you have $1200 worth of equipment powering $400 speakers. Doesnt make sense to me.

I bought an emotive amp after so many people on this forum said it would be a waste and I noticed a difference in sound. Even my wife noticed a difference so that says a lot. Dialog was the biggest improvement in movies and tv. Music was more defined as well. If you have the money laying around go for it. You have room to upgrade speakers on the future if needed also.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Old 02-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

I bought an emotive amp after so many people on this forum said it would be a waste and I noticed a difference in sound. Even my wife noticed a difference so that says a lot. Dialog was the biggest improvement in movies and tv. Music was more defined as well. If you have the money laying around go for it. You have room to upgrade speakers on the future if needed also.

Those are the ones that do the math, there smartass morons. If they really tried a high power amp, they would stop with the math crap.
Now I bet your happy you didn't follow their math
Old 02-27-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Yea and EMP wouldn't be self promoting in "suggesting" the need for more power and hence, a product they sell...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Old 02-27-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Yea and EMP wouldn't be self promoting in "suggesting" the need for more power and hence, a product they sell...

Emp does sell a 40 watt amp but it is not recommended for the e55ti's. The Emotiva amp suggestion is purely put forth by member of avs forums and other audio forums. Emp will say that 50 watts will driver their towers. Now using an emotiva ep2 or such to drive the e55ti's is a great idea if you have the cash. Buying Salk SongTowers, for example, is a good use of $2000 for speakers, but you just may want/need an emotiva power amp.

But if you want the most out of the e55ti's, getting a real good amp like an Emotiva will get you close.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

Those are the ones that do the math, there smartass morons. If they really tried a high power amp, they would stop with the math crap.

I know and I am so glad i didnt listen to them. Maybe you oly get another 3db, but you get a lot more clearity and definitin. Some people even disagree with that and say that it is all the mind. After I get the amp and could hear the difference I would have to strongly disagree.

- Leon Phelps
Old 02-27-2012, 05:49 PM

wow...i guess it's all about personal preference. but i appreciate all the info whether it's negative or positive. at least i know if i wanted to add an external amplifier i could. really liking the Emotiva XPA-5 with true 200wpc x 5 channels plus, it would look really nice next to the SVX-1121!
Old 02-27-2012, 05:58 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

So Im a smartass moron? This is a SCIENCE forum. If you want to disagree dont try to call people morons cause they know math. You're probably one of the people that can hear the difference between a regular power cord that comes with an amp and the $1000 snake oil ones

PS If you want to look intelligent while insulting forum members by calling them morons at least learn the difference between there, their, and they're. It should read They're (combination of they are BTW) smartass morons.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I ran my fronts for several years with an outboard 200wpc ROTEL RB-1080. Then, just for the heck of it, I quit using it one day and discovered that, for whatever reasons (who knows?), I actually prefer the sound of my Denon receiver's amps.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Old 02-27-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

I ran my fronts for several years with an outboard 200wpc ROTEL RB-1080. Then, just for the heck of it, I quit using it one day and discovered that, for whatever reasons (who knows?), I actually prefer the sound of my Denon receiver's amps.

interesting...
Old 02-27-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post

interesting...

Why? Don't let it be. It's just one shmoe's experience and opinion posted on an internet forum.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:

So Im a smartass moron? This is a SCIENCE forum. If you want to disagree dont try to call people morons cause they know math. You're probably one of the people that can hear the difference between a regular power cord that comes with an amp and the $1000 snake oil ones

PS If you want to look intelligent while insulting forum members by calling them morons at least learn the difference between there, their, and they're. It should read They're (combination of they are BTW) smartass morons.

I agree with you 100%. I don't know what has happened to HT lately but not too long ago you NEVER saw people owning $300 fronts and pushing them with separates that cost triple the amount!! I bite my lip a ton lately when I hear about people buying these EMP Tek's or Polks and pushing them with a $1200 pre/pro!!! Then they say "I hear a bit of a difference in dialogue and in music"..... Put an extra $800 in the speakers (and not just speakers with a pretty finish but 'nothing under the hood') and YOU WILL hear a MUCH bigger difference.......
Old 02-27-2012, 07:07 PM

So just because they have a pretty finish they sound bad? Some of us do not have thousands to spend on HT gear. We have to try and find a good deal by reading and try and make a good decision.

I did my research and have enjoyed my Emp speakers so far. Sure there are some out there that will blow the Emp's away but for the price they sound good to me.

On here people are recommending Behringer equipment. Coming from a live sound back ground, the Behringer products are not very reliable but I am not on here bashing the choices that some make.

Instead of putting people down for what they buy some on here need to try and help others instead of putting them down because they have more money to spend. To each his own. I do not like the sound of Polk monitor series but I do not bash others for it. Polk is a well known name so people just accept them bad or not. Some love the sound of their monitor series and if they make them happy then GOOD for them.

I had the Pioneer set from BB and they are a good set for the money. I worked some overtime to try something else and the Emp's to me sound better but the Pioneers are not bad either.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwe416 View Post

So just because they have a pretty finish they sound bad?

Seems you missed the point. Just because they have a pretty finish doesn't mean they will sound good.

Quote:

Some of us do not have thousands to spend on HT gear. We have to try and find a good deal by reading and try and make a good decision.

Instead of putting people down for what they buy some on here need to try and help others instead of putting them down because they have more money to spend. To each his own. I do not like the sound of Polk monitor series but I do not bash others for it. Polk is a well known name so people just accept them bad or not. Some love the sound of their monitor series and if they make them happy then GOOD for them.

You missed the rest of the point, too. There are places to spend your money both wisely and unwisely.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToHT View Post

I agree with you 100%. I don't know what has happened to HT lately but not too long ago you NEVER saw people owning $300 fronts and pushing them with separates that cost triple the amount!! I bite my lip a ton lately when I hear about people buying these EMP Tek's or Polks and pushing them with a $1200 pre/pro!!! Then they say "I hear a bit of a difference in dialogue and in music"..... Put an extra $800 in the speakers (and not just speakers with a pretty finish but 'nothing under the hood') and YOU WILL hear a MUCH bigger difference.......

So what are you trying to say? I dont hear what I say I hear? Thanks for letting me know what I hear and dont. glad to have somebody that has my back. I dont know what I would do without you. BTW....I smell something. Can you please tell me what it is?

- Leon Phelps
Old 02-27-2012, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

By the way....The emp tek's were 1k now $800. The B-stock was 400. So where do you get 300 from? Oh yea.....its the negative side of you trying to make a point. let people enjoy what they have and you enjoy yours. I bet your speakers are super cool because they cost so much money. I wish I was you.

- Leon Phelps
Old 02-27-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:

So just because they have a pretty finish they sound bad? Some of us do not have thousands to spend on HT gear. We have to try and find a good deal by reading and try and make a good decision.

I did my research and have enjoyed my Emp speakers so far. Sure there are some out there that will blow the Emp's away but for the price they sound good to me.

On here people are recommending Behringer equipment. Coming from a live sound back ground, the Behringer products are not very reliable but I am not on here bashing the choices that some make.

I had the Pioneer set from BB and they are a good set for the money. I worked some overtime to try something else and the Emp's to me sound better but the Pioneers are not bad either.

I did not once make fun of these EMP Teks or Polks.....I in fact owned a pair of RTI70's till a few days ago when I sold them. I was very happy with them for a while. What I am having a problem understanding is the lousy advice that people give when they recommend getting amps and pre pros that cost 3-4 times more than their speakers. If people would take the money they spent on the am section and put half of it towards the speakers they would notice a much bigger difference then adding and amp to their already more than adequate receiver. Having $400 speakers with a receiver that has pre-outs (usually receivers that have pre-outs are in the $700 and have good amps in them) then buying an $800 Amp for it just seems backwards..... that's my point. I NEVER talked down about speaker choices. Heck....these EMP Tek's are just a bit more inexpensive than the bookshelves I just bought....I am in NO PLACE to just talk money.....

As for the 'pretty finish' comment...... there have been a lot of people on this thread that bought these speakers because of their finish. How is that money well spent??

Again....not putting these speakers down....to be honest I ALMOST pulled the trigger on these a few weeks ago.....but i found a better deal.... go figure....
Old 02-27-2012, 07:29 PM

I was not talking about your post. I guess I need to start adding quotes.

I have been reading alot of the post and seems like a full moon is coming. Maybe some have reached "that time of the month"

I have alot of experience in live sound but what is good there is not the same for HT. I have really enjoyed reading and learning on AVS. It just seems lately that some people have to cut on everyone. People spend their hard earned money on some gear then post what they got to only have them cut down because it does not live up to some standards.

I have read that some spent alot of money on upgrades to find out that they liked what they had better. Some people think that more money equals better quality. As we all know that is not always the case. Bose comes to mind.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:

BTW....I smell something. Can you please tell me what it is?

Hmmmmmm........not sure....but considering you completely missed the OBVIOUS point of my post I would say that odor you speak of is coming from between your ears......
Old 02-27-2012, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

the thing is with an amp you can always upgrade speakers. There is no way an avr can output clean real power like an amp can. Not even close. Its a matter of what people like and what they have heard. In no way shape or form have I said anything that I did not obseve. the amp made my system sound better.

- Leon Phelps
Old 02-27-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToHT View Post

I did not once make fun of these EMP Teks or Polks.....I in fact owned a pair of RTI70's till a few days ago when I sold them. I was very happy with them for a while. What I am having a problem understanding is the lousy advice that people give when they recommend getting amps and pre pros that cost 3-4 times more than their speakers. If people would take the money they spent on the am section and put half of it towards the speakers they would notice a much bigger difference then adding and amp to their already more than adequate receiver. Having $400 speakers with a receiver that has pre-outs (usually receivers that have pre-outs are in the $700 and have good amps in them) then buying an $800 Amp for it just seems backwards..... that's my point. I NEVER talked down about speaker choices. Heck....these EMP Tek's are just a bit more inexpensive than the bookshelves I just bought....I am in NO PLACE to just talk money.....

As for the 'pretty finish' comment...... there have been a lot of people on this thread that bought these speakers because of their finish. How is that money well spent??

Again....not putting these speakers down....to be honest I ALMOST pulled the trigger on these a few weeks ago.....but i found a better deal.... go figure....

I agree with that. I have seen guys buy the best mixing board,eq,crossover etc. then buy speakers that are not very effecient.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:

hanks for clearing that up because you were sounding like a dick for a min. the thing is with an amp you can always upgrade speakers. There is no way an avr can output clean real power like an amp can. Not even close. Its a matter of what people like and what they have heard. In no way shape or form have I said anything that I did not obseve. the amp made my system sound better.

I completely agree (.....other then the d!ck part of course.....). Speakers can always be upgraded. A lot of the people on this thread though are starting out and trying to build a nice HT. They have already purchased these speakers and have a capable receiver....then people are recommending that they get an amp. Imagine the nice speakers these people could have gotten themselves had they put that $800 into the speakers? I agree of course that adding an amp will make for a better sound stage most of the time......my only point is that by putting more of that money into the speakers.....these people will notice a larger change for the better.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:

Number one I wasnt responding to you.

Number two I said "IMO" whichs means "In My Opinion".

Number three I still wouldnt recommend spending $1200 to drive $400 dollar speakers. You can argue all you want that they are $800 speakers but the fact is they are $400 speakers. Thats what was paid for them.

Number 4 if you have extra money laying around why waste $400 on speakers when you could have taken that money that was laying around and invested it in a better speaker setup. Take the price of the Emotiva XPA-3 and the $400 now you have $1100 to spend on speakers.

Number 5 if you want to argue with the science that you have to double the power to achieve a 3dB increase go ahead. You saying this and that is clearer is not science, its your OPINION.

Number 6 Most likely if you are going to upgrade speakers in the future you are going to buy an easier to drive speaker with greater sensitivity.

Now I am not saying these are cheap speakers I am saying that money spent on an amp could have been better spent elsewhere.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:

the thing is with an amp you can always upgrade speakers. There is no way an avr can output clean real power like an amp can. Not even close. Its a matter of what people like and what they have heard. In no way shape or form have I said anything that I did not obseve. the amp made my system sound better.

LMAO The thing is when you upgrade speakers you get better quality speakers that are easier to drive. For example take a CHT SHO-10, sensitivity is 97dB which is easier to drive than 88dB sensitivity speakers (EMP). List price $395 x 5 $1975.

Denon AVR-4311 at 140 WPC will OUTPUT clean power and more than enough to drive any speaker. You are using your OPINION as fact which it is not. Unless you can prove all these claims of yours I really would like to see where you get your information.

PS joehonest this post has MATH in it you might not want to read it, you might get confused by the big numbers.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Anyone else notice that since these 2 rocket scientists posted this thread went down the crapper? And neither one has offered anything but insults and stating their opinions as facts.
Terrell78 likes this.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:

Anyone else notice that since these 2 rocket scientists posted this thread went down the crapper? And neither one has offered anything but insults and stating their opinions as facts.

HAHA!!! I noticed that as well....... I'm still trying to figure out how anything we said could possibly be construed as being bad.......