AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

50% clearance EMP Tek E55TI towers - any good?

55K views 424 replies 57 participants last post by  losservatore 
#1 ·
 http://emptek.com/e55ti_clearance.php

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...g/emptek-e55ti - review

Looks like the red burl is OOS, but they still have high gloss black ash. They really are beautiful for less that 200 a piece. And according to the audioholics review perform well for their price range.

I just bought a pair of jbl studio 180's on sale, or i'd have already purchased these babies. Anybody heard these guys and can give an idea if they're killer at this sale price?

#305 ·
I am considering the EMP towers as well. Currently I am using some old Onkyo HTiB Speakers for my Yamaha a1000. I seem to be having to turn the vol up louder and louder to hear I assume its the old cheap speakers I am using, so I wanted to update my fronts and center. I read an Audioholcs review and it said there were 2 revisions of the E55TI, anyone know it the B stock clearance is the Rev 2 speaker? Also, I looked at the cosmetic imperfections examples, anyone know it is just here and there or are there defects all over the finish?

#307 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity /forum/post/21681508

Sensitivity is not as high as a typical pro audio speaker but it's perfectly fine.

With three 6.5" drivers, two 5.25" mids, and a high 3khz tweeter crossover point, these things can handle a good 200+ watts without compressing (which is better than some more sensitive speakers). The only time these speakers have EVER made me cringe was during inception; the scene when the glass breaks. And that was near reference levels on probably one of the most dynamic movies in the world. I'd wager you have to bust out over $3000 to do movies like that justice at reference. And no, some 12" elemental designs horn speakers won't do it justice, they'll just do it loud.

The Aluminum/Poly matrix cone is very well-designed and surprisingly resolving. The tweeter is nice and detailed.

Off-axis response is pretty nice. The tonality doesn't shift significantly whether you treat the room or not, or if you shift seats or not. The 2nd order midrange crossover has a lot to do with this. Overall frequency response is a LOT flatter than pretty much any other sub- 1K speaker (+/- 2db), never mind a complex 3-way with six drivers. They're not very placement sensitive at all, either.

Imaging is convincing enough. I wouldn't call it holographic, but the stereo image emanates from behind and around the speaker. You can tell they spent a good bit of time optimizing this speaker, because with this many drivers they really shouldn't image like they do. On good music you can close your eyes and forget the speakers are there.

The bass is very well damped (at least on my Generation 1s), which means it's slightly on the dry side. People used to typical "speaker bass" will probably find it a bit lacking, but it's a bit more accurate. Still not as tight as ""headphone bass"", but I'm sure that has to do with my room to a good extent.

The Cabinets are absolutely beautiful, even 2 years later I still smile looking at these speakers.

Honestly, this price for e55tis is a total steal. Unless you've got $1600 to drop on a pair of Philharmonic speakers, these are probably the best speakers you can buy. At the very least, they'll bring a smile to your face, unless you want speakers that add a thick layer of "cough syrup bass".

I love this post. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

#308 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakattk /forum/post/21684040

I am considering the EMP towers as well. Currently I am using some old Onkyo HTiB Speakers for my Yamaha a1000. I seem to be having to turn the vol up louder and louder to hear I assume its the old cheap speakers I am using, so I wanted to update my fronts and center. I read an Audioholcs review and it said there were 2 revisions of the E55TI, anyone know it the B stock clearance is the Rev 2 speaker? Also, I looked at the cosmetic imperfections examples, anyone know it is just here and there or are there defects all over the finish?

I called and asked and they said it is the 2nd revision.

#310 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction /forum/post/21684312

I called and asked and they said it is the 2nd revision.

Cool thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim2000 /forum/post/21684347

The audioholics review was from 2010. I would believe that all new e55tis would be the rev 2

I just wasnt sure if the B stocks might have been lying around in a warehouse for a while since they seem to have alot of them. Got my answer though so might be game on.

Now I just have to wonder if "I" will like the sound without hearing them, and risk it. Then again anything has to be better than my Onkyo HTiB speakers. My L&R channels have the tweeters melted from my Onkyo rec, so it has to be an improvement.

#311 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakattk /forum/post/21684363

Cool thanks!

I just wasnt sure if the B stocks might have been lying around in a warehouse for a while since they seem to have alot of them. Got my answer though so might be game on.

Now I just have to wonder if "I" will like the sound without hearing them, and risk it. Then again anything has to be better than my Onkyo HTiB speakers. My L&R channels have the tweeters melted from my Onkyo rec, so it has to be an improvement.

Get it done. For the money these are a steal. I would not have a problem paying full price for a perfect pair.

#312 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/21683148

Why wouldn't it?

just wondering if the E5ti's will work or if going with the E55wi's sound better since they're bipole?
i hear a lot of people end up moving they're towers to the rear after replacing them with the E55ti's.

#314 ·
Anyone own the EMP Tek E5Ti smaller towers? Reviews?

#316 ·
If you wouldn't mind posting your thoughts, after you have had a few days with them, that would be appreciated. I was thinking of them for a bedroom 2.0 setup.

#318 ·
Sheesh, I have excellent looking (and sounding) speakers, but some of these speakers you guys have been getting look PHENOMENAL!! The towers look nice, but that monster-of-a-center that slammin86 has just looks GREAT!!

Wow

#323 ·
i'm not bashing them i'm sure they sound great but for a company to have that many b-stock makes me wonder especially in quailty control

#324 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 /forum/post/21693169

i'm not bashing them i'm sure they sound great but for a company to have that many b-stock makes me wonder especially in quailty control

Look at it this way, if company X sells 1 million pairs of speakers per year world wide and 2% are found to have cosmetic flaws, thats 10,000 pairs of speakers for sale. So nope wouldnt make me wonder in the least. And who is to say that this sale isnt a culmination of say 2 years worth of B stock?

#326 ·
I received my E5Ti's today and have had only a few minutes to play around with them.

These are in perfect shape cosmetic wise. I got the red burl and they are stunning.

Now for why they are b-stock. Either the inserts or the cut out in the feet bracket are not properly placed. When I tried to put on the feet the oval slots,in the bracket,are not cut wide enough to reach both the inserts. They send some wood screws and washers to apply the feet. I could not bring myself to do this. My dad has a machine shop at his house and all we did was widen the slots. Also the insert are not deep enough for the bolts they sent. The bolts bottom out about 3/4 in. Quick trip to the hardware store and all is well.

On to the the sound. I have not ran any calibration but they are very clear. The bass is not pounding but clear and precise. The mids have a good presence and the highs are really clear but not overbearing. That is as far as I have gotten.

I am powering these with a Denon 791 and did not push the speakers because I want to give them time to break in.

So far I am VERY pleased. I will try and get some pics up this weekend. Tomorrow is my birthday so these make a nice present to myself. For all who are doubting these you are missing out. Sure there are probably better sounding speakers out there but for the money these will be hard to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.