Closed Thread

post #391 of 425 Old 02-27-2012, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

By the way....The emp tek's were 1k now $800. The B-stock was 400. So where do you get 300 from? Oh yea.....its the negative side of you trying to make a point. let people enjoy what they have and you enjoy yours. I bet your speakers are super cool because they cost so much money. I wish I was you.

BTW the list price for my 7 speakers was $3600 and I bought all of them used for $2000 so by your LOGIC I should go around claiming I spent $3600 on speakers.

BTW I also only paid $250 for a brand new Yamaha RX-V663 and $230 for a used Emotiva UPA-2 (to drive the front towers) so at $480 for AVR and amp + $2000 for speakers puts me at 24% of the price of my speakers, just like the rule of thumb I mentioned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 425 Old 02-27-2012, 07:26 PM

You don't have to spend 800 to 1000 to get an amp. There are plenty of used offerings that can get you 150 to 200 wpc without breaking the bank.

Keep in mind these speakers are 6 ohm so you will get more power out of the amp than the 8 ohm ratings reflect.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acurus-A250-...#ht_595wt_1139

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rotel-RB-108...#ht_500wt_1156

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adcom-GFA-54...#ht_500wt_1156

Point is...if you have some time and a $400 dollar budget you a decent amp can be had.
post #393 of 425 Old 02-27-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin86 View Post

You don't have to spend 800 to 1000 to get an amp. There are plenty of used offerings that can get you 150 to 200 wpc without breaking the bank.

Keep in mind these speakers are 6 ohm so you will get more power out of the amp than the 8 ohm ratings reflect.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acurus-A250-...#ht_595wt_1139

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rotel-RB-108...#ht_500wt_1156

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adcom-GFA-54...#ht_500wt_1156

Point is...if you have some time and a $400 dollar budget you a decent amp can be had.

While I agree with you....there are a lot of great deal out there....those are not the best examples. The Rotel is at $550 and climbing and the other 2 are being sold by two sellers with hardly any reviews. Yes....good prices but would you buy those?
post #394 of 425 Old 02-27-2012, 09:04 PM

I believe that there is nothing wrong getting an additional amp to power any speakers, but the 200 dollars or so could be used to get a better sub or better surrounds. It is up to the individual to get what they want, but we don't need to call names. I spent 230 for a receiver and 400 on these speakers. I will eventually spend more on speakers and I do not think I need an external amp. But if you do, then good luck with that. I would buy a SVS or eD sub first, then maybe the e56ci center and the e55si surrounds. But that is me and I like EMP's.
post #395 of 425 Old 02-27-2012, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer View Post

So Im a smartass moron? This is a SCIENCE forum. If you want to disagree dont try to call people morons cause they know math. You're probably one of the people that can hear the difference between a regular power cord that comes with an amp and the $1000 snake oil ones
PS If you want to look intelligent while insulting forum members by calling them morons at least learn the difference between there, their, and they're. It should read They're (combination of they are BTW) smartass morons.

I knew someone would pull out the SCIENCE card, and your SCIENCE maybe 100% correct. Your P.S. is the act of a desperate man.
Math put us on the moon, but you also need to know how to use the numbers and what value they really have in the real world. Just 3db more really means what to you, and may not mean the same to me. Like "the straw that broke the camel's back".
So if you feel smart by telling everyone that higher power amps are no better sounding than amps rated at half the output. Ok, then you show them the math, I'll just turn up the volume, I think my way will win over most of the people. But you will keep telling everyone anyway, and with most people trying to save a buck, so what you say is music to their ears...
But I still can't understand why anyone would want to fool themself. I have big speakers that need big amps. People using tiny speakers should only use tiny amps..
post #396 of 425 Old 02-27-2012, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

BTW I also only paid $250 for a brand new Yamaha RX-V663 and $230 for a used Emotiva UPA-2 (to drive the front towers)

So you don't practice what you preach. So what does that make you
post #397 of 425 Old 02-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

IMO overboard. Listen to the speakers with the SVX-1121 first. General rule of thumb is your AVR/amp combo should be 25% of the cost of your speakers. If the SVX delivers 80 WPC (real world) and you put a 200WPC amp to drive the speakers you are only gaining 3dB's. Is gaining 3 dB really worth all that extra money? Say you buy an Emotive XPA-3 for &700 barnd new, paid $500 for the SVX, that means you have $1200 worth of equipment powering $400 speakers. Doesnt make sense to me.

It doesn't work that way, you only screw yourself in the end, math will not build you a balanced audio system..
Is your real name Watson, the IBM computer that competed on Jeopardy?
post #398 of 425 Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I Think that every single amp or av receiver have its own signature sound and that can impact the sound of the speakers. tube amps have their own signature sound too. let the people choose what ever they want and what ever they think its sound better for their ears.why making this complicated.

let me specified that im not talking about very expensive and exaggerate high watts amps or receivers for this speakers.you should always used what is recommended for the speakers and no go over the limit.but different brands of amps and Av do make a change in sound.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Sonos Connect / Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /
post #399 of 425 Old 02-27-2012, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

The SCIENCE / math music lovers, many say all watts sound the same, and more watts doesn't change the way a amp sounds. Not true in most cases. There are so many threads on this subject, so I'm not going to turn this one into that. I'm just saying don't short change yourself by believing all amps sound the same and there is no real need for high power amps for home use.. They are just to lazy to seek the truth, and are just taking the easy way out, cause listening is work, like reading is to just seeing.
post #400 of 425 Old 02-28-2012, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member

yes you can have excellent results on watts, but the problem is when you go over the speaker limit. too low watts can damage speakers but also too much watts than what the speaker can handle can damage then too.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Sonos Connect / Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /
post #401 of 425 Old 02-28-2012, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member

but changing the subject , I want to see more pictures of those new emp setups and more reviews. I'm trying to convince my brother to buy this speakers .he is the type of person that wouldn't paid much for a speaker.I have two setup one 7.1 energy rc set up and the second is a Veritas stereo setup...but for the sale price for this speakers is a steal.

post #402 of 425 Old 02-28-2012, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

I knew someone would pull out the SCIENCE card, and your SCIENCE maybe 100% correct. Your P.S. is the act of a desperate man.
Math put us on the moon, but you also need to know how to use the numbers and what value they really have in the real world. Just 3db more really means what to you, and may not mean the same to me. Like "the straw that broke the camel's back".
So if you feel smart by telling everyone that higher power amps are no better sounding than amps rated at half the output. Ok, then you show them the math, I'll just turn up the volume, I think my way will win over most of the people. But you will keep telling everyone anyway, and with most people trying to save a buck, so what you say is music to their ears...
But I still can't understand why anyone would want to fool themself. I have big speakers that need big amps. People using tiny speakers should only use tiny amps..

LMAO Desperate? Desperate for what exactly? Pointing out your stupidity in not knowing how to use different spellings of words that sound the same? After you called forum members morons? Yeah real desperate

You just turn it up? LOL does it go to 11?

Yeah thats using your smarts, big speakers need big amps, little speakers need little amps. "Me joe me know everything. me smart"
post #403 of 425 Old 02-28-2012, 03:45 AM

Quote:

So you don't practice what you preach. So what does that make you

Makes me a hell of a lot smarter than you! And your reading comprehension really needs to improve. If you go back and read my reply to the guy asking for opinions you will see what I said. I really think you need to take a remedial English class to help you with your use of words and reading comprehension. Maybe then you wont look so less intelligent than others around you.
post #404 of 425 Old 02-28-2012, 03:50 AM

Quote:

The SCIENCE / math music lovers, many say all watts sound the same, and more watts doesn't change the way a amp sounds. Not true in most cases. There are so many threads on this subject, so I'm not going to turn this one into that. I'm just saying don't short change yourself by believing all amps sound the same and there is no real need for high power amps for home use.. They are just to lazy to seek the truth, and are just taking the easy way out, cause listening is work, like reading is to just seeing.

Again where is your evidence? Please post any and all evidence you have that backs up your specious argument. There is a reason this is call the AUDIO VIDEO SCIENCE forum. I really want to see all evidence you have collected, not just your opinion which you state as fact.
post #405 of 425 Old 02-28-2012, 04:34 AM

Quote:

You really need to pay attention to what people are writing.... NOBODY EVER SAID THAT AN AMP WILL NOT CHANGE THE SOUND OF THE SPEAKERS!!!!!! Is that clear enough?? All we are saying is that it is silly to put a ton of money into the amp section and not the speakers. Speakers in this price range will have a bigger impact on the overall sound then adding more wattage.

Ask yourself this..... If you're best friend were building a system and has $1200 to spend. Would you tell him to put $900 towards the amp and $300 for the speaker set? If so......please stop giving advice......
post #406 of 425 Old 02-28-2012, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 176
^^^ yes you did.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #407 of 425 Old 02-28-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Boy...for awhile, when this thread was about EMP speakers, it had some pretty good info! Not anymore....

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #408 of 425 Old 02-28-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToHT View Post

I agree with you 100%. I don't know what has happened to HT lately but not too long ago you NEVER saw people owning $300 fronts and pushing them with separates that cost triple the amount!! I bite my lip a ton lately when I hear about people buying these EMP Tek's or Polks and pushing them with a $1200 pre/pro!!! Then they say "I hear a bit of a difference in dialogue and in music"..... Put an extra $800 in the speakers (and not just speakers with a pretty finish but 'nothing under the hood') and YOU WILL hear a MUCH bigger difference.......

here you go. Dont try to justify it. dont really care anaymore. just wanted to let you know.

- Leon Phelps
post #409 of 425 Old 02-28-2012, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Boy...for awhile, when this thread was about EMP speakers, it had some pretty good info! Not anymore....

You have people on here that think they are so smart. That is they problem with some people. "I'm smarter then you" "You can't spell correctly" blah blah blah. Just to let you know.....Math and science does not maker you smarter then another person. They may be smarter then you in so many more situations so lets not pull that card anymore. Yes he should not have said morons, but lets act like an adult here.

- Leon Phelps
post #410 of 425 Old 02-28-2012, 05:53 AM

Quote:

here you go. Dont try to justify it. dont really care anaymore. just wanted to let you know.

Ummmmmmm.........you do realize that you just proved my point right?? Where in that did I say the Amp will have no impact? I was talking about money allocation and that you will hear a bigger difference with speakers. Just because I am not on your bandwagon does not mean I can't correct horrible advice......
post #411 of 425 Old 02-28-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Number one I wasnt responding to you.

Number two I said "IMO" whichs means "In My Opinion".

Number three I still wouldnt recommend spending $1200 to drive $400 dollar speakers. You can argue all you want that they are $800 speakers but the fact is they are $400 speakers. Thats what was paid for them.

Number 4 if you have extra money laying around why waste $400 on speakers when you could have taken that money that was laying around and invested it in a better speaker setup. Take the price of the Emotiva XPA-3 and the $400 now you have $1100 to spend on speakers.

Number 5 if you want to argue with the science that you have to double the power to achieve a 3dB increase go ahead. You saying this and that is clearer is not science, its your OPINION.

Number 6 Most likely if you are going to upgrade speakers in the future you are going to buy an easier to drive speaker with greater sensitivity.

Now I am not saying these are cheap speakers I am saying that money spent on an amp could have been better spent elsewhere.

#1 I was not talking to you either
#2 never did talk to you
#3 dont know why you though I was talking to you
#4 Where do you think I was talking to you?

- Leon Phelps
post #412 of 425 Old 02-28-2012, 05:59 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

I agree. However, I am disappointed in the lack of reviews on these speakers. A few pages back, it seemed like there were a ton of people getting these and there have only been a few pictures and/or reviews. It would be nice if more new owners would share their thoughts about the speakers build quality, sound compared to the speakers they were replacing, how they perform at low volumes, are they bright/neutral/warm, what are the strengths/weaknesses, etc.

Obviously it takes time to write a good, detailed review to express one's opinion about these speakers and everybody has their own priorities and lives to live. I'm just stating what I'd like to see more of.
post #413 of 425 Old 02-28-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ummmmmmm.........you do realize that you just proved my point right?? Where in that did I say the Amp will have no impact? I was talking about money allocation and that you will hear a bigger difference with speakers. Just because I am not on your bandwagon does not mean I can't correct horrible advice......

You said "then they say I can hear a bit of difference in dialog and music".

I'm just pointing that out. It is what it is. Maybe I think your advice is horrible. Its all a matter of opinion so sorry I am not on your badwagon.

- Leon Phelps
post #414 of 425 Old 02-28-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:

You said "then they say I can hear a bit of difference in dialog and music".

I'm just pointing that out. It is what it is. Maybe I think your advice is horrible. Its all a matter of opinion so sorry I am not on your badwagon.

Yes.....I did say that. I never said there was no difference and then I said this : "Put an extra $800 in the speakers (and not just speakers with a pretty finish but 'nothing under the hood') and YOU WILL hear a MUCH bigger difference......." Again......proving my point....but don't let the facts get in the way.

I tell you what. Make a post on both the speaker and audio threads and say that you think it's better to spend $400 on speakers and $1,200 on a receiver/amp...... If the majority agree with you then you will have proven your point and I will no longer post on this thread......... If they disagree you no longer post here..........
post #415 of 425 Old 02-28-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl4004 View Post

I agree. However, I am disappointed in the lack of reviews on these speakers. A few pages back, it seemed like there were a ton of people getting these and there have only been a few pictures and/or reviews. It would be nice if more new owners would share their thoughts about the speakers build quality, sound compared to the speakers they were replacing, how they perform at low volumes, are they bright/neutral/warm, what are the strengths/weaknesses, etc.

Obviously it takes time to write a good, detailed review to express one's opinion about these speakers and everybody has their own priorities and lives to live. I'm just stating what I'd like to see more of.

exactly what I'm expecting to read!!!

post #416 of 425 Old 02-28-2012, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes.....I did say that. I never said there was no difference and then I said this : "Put an extra $800 in the speakers (and not just speakers with a pretty finish but 'nothing under the hood') and YOU WILL hear a MUCH bigger difference......." Again......proving my point....but don't let the facts get in the way.

I tell you what. Make a post on both the speaker and audio threads and say that you think it's better to spend $400 on speakers and $1,200 on a receiver/amp...... If the majority agree with you then you will have proven your point and I will no longer post on this thread......... If they disagree you no longer post here..........

you and I both know what you said a ment. worse then arguing with a little kid. Only b-stock was 400. a-stock is 800. do we need to go there again?

- Leon Phelps
post #417 of 425 Old 02-28-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl4004 View Post

I agree. I was looking at possibly purchasing these speakers as they seemed like a good deal but there are very few reviews on them. I have since moved on to something different but am still very curious as I have a few people interested in a solid starter HT.....
post #418 of 425 Old 02-28-2012, 06:26 AM

I was going to add a review tonight but it would get lost in the argument. Why don't the few that want to argue do it through private messages. Frankly the name calling and bickering is getting old.
post #419 of 425 Old 02-28-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:

you and I both know what you said a ment. worse then arguing with a little kid. Only b-stock was 400. a-stock is 800. do we need to go there again?

Ummmmm.......ok.....glad you finally agree with me....

As for the MSRP. I was under the impression that has nothing to do with it.....and even if it did people are still driving them with receivers and amps that cost almost $800 more!!.......so again......don't let the facts get in the way.

I am glad you like your new speakers. I am sure they are decent for the price. How about we all congratulate you on your new purchase and say what an amazing and informed decision you made.....and that if anybody DARE say anything negative about your opinion about spending a thousand more to drive the holy grails you purchased then they should be forever banished from the AVSForums!!!!!

There.....is that better......??
post #420 of 425 Old 02-28-2012, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Sounds like this thread is now a group of the "have and have nots", the jealousy of the lucky ones who got a good deal. This threads tone change abit now that the speakers are out of stock.. You missed it, get over it and move on....
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page