AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

50% clearance EMP Tek E55TI towers - any good?

55K views 424 replies 57 participants last post by  losservatore 
#1 ·
 http://emptek.com/e55ti_clearance.php

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...g/emptek-e55ti - review

Looks like the red burl is OOS, but they still have high gloss black ash. They really are beautiful for less that 200 a piece. And according to the audioholics review perform well for their price range.

I just bought a pair of jbl studio 180's on sale, or i'd have already purchased these babies. Anybody heard these guys and can give an idea if they're killer at this sale price?

#352 ·
ok more advice guys. maybe i'm going overboard or maybe i like spending my mooola on my new HT but...i really want to make sure i'm pushing the Emptek Impressions speakers with good power. my SVX-1121 is on it's way to a new home. i know it's pushing 110wpc, (tho in theory i've read it's probably 65-75) i've been researching everything about amplifiers but maybe i'm getting confused about the whole biamping thing?
the SVX-1121 is preout compatible so i'm assuming i could run multiple external amps correct? but the E55ti's are not biampable or this a whole different thing?

coming from car audio i'm trying to translate that it's the same thing. the headunits power isn't enough to push my cars door speakers and subs so running separate amps for the components and subs are ideal?

#353 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg /forum/post/21701985

ok more advice guys. maybe i'm going overboard or maybe i like spending my mooola on my new HT but...i really want to make sure i'm pushing the Emptek Impressions speakers with good power. my SVX-1121 is on it's way to a new home. i know it's pushing 110wpc, (tho in theory i've read it's probably 65-75) i've been researching everything about amplifiers but maybe i'm getting confused about the whole biamping thing?
the SVX-1121 is preout compatible so i'm assuming i could run multiple external amps correct? but the E55ti's are not biampable or this a whole different thing?

coming from car audio i'm trying to translate that it's the same thing. the headunits power isn't enough to push my cars door speakers and subs so running separate amps for the components and subs are ideal?

Get an amp for your center and mains then let the receiver power your surrounds.

#354 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin86 /forum/post/21702048

Get an amp for your center and mains then let the receiver power your surrounds.

I saw what you posted in the Audioholics forum and noticed the amp you were using with the Emptek's...i think i'll look around for a good deal on that acurus a3x200 amp.

i did find on the RBH SA-200 for $471. why not go with the parenting amp for the Emptek Impression's!

#356 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiller44 /forum/post/21698404

Just went to EMP FACTORY in Layton Utah yesterday to buy some E55Ti, i live about 15 min from there..nice looking speakers..but the sound didnt impress me..not bad, but not great..decent for the price..

My Mirages OMD 15 sounded ALOT better

oh no! is this necesary?I think that this speakers for the sale price are

really hard to beat.

#357 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg /forum/post/21701985

IMO overboard. Listen to the speakers with the SVX-1121 first. General rule of thumb is your AVR/amp combo should be 25% of the cost of your speakers. If the SVX delivers 80 WPC (real world) and you put a 200WPC amp to drive the speakers you are only gaining 3dB's. Is gaining 3 dB really worth all that extra money? Say you buy an Emotive XPA-3 for &700 barnd new, paid $500 for the SVX, that means you have $1200 worth of equipment powering $400 speakers. Doesnt make sense to me.

#359 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer /forum/post/21703017

IMO overboard. Listen to the speakers with the SVX-1121 first. General rule of thumb is your AVR/amp combo should be 25% of the cost of your speakers. If the SVX delivers 80 WPC (real world) and you put a 200WPC amp to drive the speakers you are only gaining 3dB's. Is gaining 3 dB really worth all that extra money? Say you buy an Emotive XPA-3 for &700 barnd new, paid $500 for the SVX, that means you have $1200 worth of equipment powering $400 speakers. Doesnt make sense to me.

I respectfully disagree...who cares about the rule of thumb. I follow my ears.

When I had the M70's the sound would muddy when turned up and I could not ever get the volume I was looking for when powered off of the receiver. When I got the amp the whole sound stage opened up and everything just sounded fuller.

I have not tried the emp tek's on the receiver power because there is no point. Power gives you headroom and is not going to hurt anything. I can get these speakers stupid loud with no signs of breaking up or distortion whatsoever. Just plain volume.

By all means, try the speakers with the receiver power for a few months and see if you are happy. If you feel you are missing something then look at an amp.

#360 ·
I have read various forum postings of Polk Monitor series II speakers and these e55ti's being driven bu emotiva amps. The results are, of course, outstanding, but as GSDTrainer states, spending 2-3 times more on the amps to power $800 (not $400) speakers is a bit over board. The e55ti's are $800 speakers but in this thread they $400 speakers because of the sale.

The VSX 1121 should power the e55ti's just fine.

#362 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim2000 /forum/post/21703503

I have read various forum postings of Polk Monitor series II speakers and these e55ti's being driven bu emotiva amps. The results are, of course, outstanding, but as GSDTrainer states, spending 2-3 times more on the amps to power $800 (not $400) speakers is a bit over board. The e55ti's are $800 speakers but in this thread they $400 speakers because of the sale.

The VSX 1121 should power the e55ti's just fine.

I agree. Spend your money on better speakers, instead.

#365 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin86 /forum/post/21704649

Maybe the list will update with some bookshelf speakers...

i'm really hoping on centers or surrounds

as far as the amps i'll wait and see what they sound like through the receiver. but thanks everyone for the info. so is that how it works, if your speakers aren't worth more than a few thousand $'s it not worth using an external amp? here's what Emotiva had to say about just the receiver's power:

Take a close look at the specs of most popular receivers. Now, take the top cover off, and ask yourself, how did they do it? How could that small transformer, a couple of capacitors and that little heat sink and fan be generating and dissipating all the power claimed?

Here's a typical power spec from a popular name-brand receiver that sells for around $2,000:

120W x 7 (8 Ohm 20-20kHz 0.09%THD) - Sounds great, doesn't it? But look a little deeper into the specifications, and you'll see it again, but listed as a 'Channel Power Rating'. What does that mean? It's called 'fine print...a disclaimer.

It means that one (maybe two) channels can make that rated output, at that specification for a finite amount of time. It doesn't mean that all seven channels, working at the same time, and at the same power level, can come anywhere close to the cumulative power rating of 840 watts that the specs indicate at first glance (7 x 120 = 840). You get the idea. Something had to give. That something was power.

So what's the answer? More power. In order to deliver a lifelike, clear and engaging cinematic and musical experience, you need REAL POWER...and LOTS OF IT. You need to give that receiver of yours a shot of adrenaline.

#366 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer /forum/post/21703017

I bought an emotive amp after so many people on this forum said it would be a waste and I noticed a difference in sound. Even my wife noticed a difference so that says a lot. Dialog was the biggest improvement in movies and tv. Music was more defined as well. If you have the money laying around go for it. You have room to upgrade speakers on the future if needed also.

#367 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction /forum/post/21705026

I bought an emotive amp after so many people on this forum said it would be a waste and I noticed a difference in sound. Even my wife noticed a difference so that says a lot. Dialog was the biggest improvement in movies and tv. Music was more defined as well. If you have the money laying around go for it. You have room to upgrade speakers on the future if needed also.

Those are the ones that do the math, there smartass morons. If they really tried a high power amp, they would stop with the math crap.

Now I bet your happy you didn't follow their math

#368 ·
Yea and EMP wouldn't be self promoting in "suggesting" the need for more power and hence, a product they sell...

#369 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk /forum/post/21705215

Yea and EMP wouldn't be self promoting in "suggesting" the need for more power and hence, a product they sell...

Emp does sell a 40 watt amp but it is not recommended for the e55ti's. The Emotiva amp suggestion is purely put forth by member of avs forums and other audio forums. Emp will say that 50 watts will driver their towers. Now using an emotiva ep2 or such to drive the e55ti's is a great idea if you have the cash. Buying Salk SongTowers, for example, is a good use of $2000 for speakers, but you just may want/need an emotiva power amp.

But if you want the most out of the e55ti's, getting a real good amp like an Emotiva will get you close.

#370 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest /forum/post/21705062

Those are the ones that do the math, there smartass morons. If they really tried a high power amp, they would stop with the math crap.

I know and I am so glad i didnt listen to them. Maybe you oly get another 3db, but you get a lot more clearity and definitin. Some people even disagree with that and say that it is all the mind. After I get the amp and could hear the difference I would have to strongly disagree.

#371 ·
wow...i guess it's all about personal preference. but i appreciate all the info whether it's negative or positive. at least i know if i wanted to add an external amplifier i could. really liking the Emotiva XPA-5 with true 200wpc x 5 channels
plus, it would look really nice next to the SVX-1121!

#372 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest /forum/post/21705062

So Im a smartass moron? This is a SCIENCE forum. If you want to disagree dont try to call people morons cause they know math. You're probably one of the people that can hear the difference between a regular power cord that comes with an amp and the $1000 snake oil ones

PS If you want to look intelligent while insulting forum members by calling them morons at least learn the difference between there, their, and they're. It should read They're (combination of they are BTW) smartass morons.

#373 ·
I ran my fronts for several years with an outboard 200wpc ROTEL RB-1080. Then, just for the heck of it, I quit using it one day and discovered that, for whatever reasons (who knows?), I actually prefer the sound of my Denon receiver's amps.

#374 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/21706272

I ran my fronts for several years with an outboard 200wpc ROTEL RB-1080. Then, just for the heck of it, I quit using it one day and discovered that, for whatever reasons (who knows?), I actually prefer the sound of my Denon receiver's amps.

interesting...

#376 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer /forum/post/21706174

So Im a smartass moron? This is a SCIENCE forum. If you want to disagree dont try to call people morons cause they know math. You're probably one of the people that can hear the difference between a regular power cord that comes with an amp and the $1000 snake oil ones

PS If you want to look intelligent while insulting forum members by calling them morons at least learn the difference between there, their, and they're. It should read They're (combination of they are BTW) smartass morons.

I agree with you 100%. I don't know what has happened to HT lately but not too long ago you NEVER saw people owning $300 fronts and pushing them with separates that cost triple the amount!! I bite my lip a ton lately when I hear about people buying these EMP Tek's or Polks and pushing them with a $1200 pre/pro!!! Then they say "I hear a bit of a difference in dialogue and in music"..... Put an extra $800 in the speakers (and not just speakers with a pretty finish but 'nothing under the hood') and YOU WILL hear a MUCH bigger difference.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.