50% clearance EMP Tek E55TI towers - any good? - Page 2 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > 50% clearance EMP Tek E55TI towers - any good?

Speakers

Dave_I's Avatar Dave_I
04:06 PM Liked: 10
post #31 of 425
02-06-2012 | Posts: 85
Joined: Feb 2011
For comparison purposes, wouldn't these be at a comparable level & price point to something like Arx, Ascend Acoustics, or HSU speakers (if HSU had towers, that is)? They seem to be in that same range.

Also, concerning aesthetics one of the reviews mentioned that these have a paper-thin laminate which looks fine from a distance yet not so glamorous up close, with some areas having a bit thinner walls. Not a huge deal, and the article seemed to think it was more a case of them spending money on the performance than looks. Just wondering how that ties into the "they sound as good as they look" reasoning if you were taking a cynic's approach to that review.

Still, it sounds like they are overall pretty nice based on the reviews posted, being pretty aesthetically and performing very well from what has been linked.

-Cheers
bigtim2000's Avatar bigtim2000
04:42 PM Liked: 10
post #32 of 425
02-06-2012 | Posts: 110
Joined: Nov 2006
I love the looks and most who have do as well. I saw remarks about the thin laminate, but overall the finish is top notch and the component seem to be as well. I am not expected the finish of a high end speaker with furniture quality finish.. I have some Castle mini towers and they are great looking with a real yew finish, not vinyl.
peck1234's Avatar peck1234
09:31 PM Liked: 11
post #33 of 425
02-06-2012 | Posts: 121
Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim2000 View Post

I love the looks and most who have do as well. I saw remarks about the thin laminate, but overall the finish is top notch and the component seem to be as well. I am not expected the finish of a high end speaker with furniture quality finish.. I have some Castle mini towers and they are great looking with a real yew finish, not vinyl.

You order a pair to?
bigtim2000's Avatar bigtim2000
09:57 PM Liked: 10
post #34 of 425
02-06-2012 | Posts: 110
Joined: Nov 2006
no not yet
rwe416's Avatar rwe416
06:58 AM Liked: 10
post #35 of 425
02-07-2012 | Posts: 196
Joined: Nov 2011
I have read all the specs and being a newb I still am learning. Would my Denon 791 be a good match?
peck1234's Avatar peck1234
07:24 AM Liked: 11
post #36 of 425
02-07-2012 | Posts: 121
Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwe416 View Post

I have read all the specs and being a newb I still am learning. Would my Denon 791 be a good match?

Absolutely, your denon pushes 125 WPC at 6 ohms.
volta's Avatar volta
09:27 AM Liked: 22
post #37 of 425
02-07-2012 | Posts: 297
Joined: May 2008
Has anyone picked up some of these? I am very curious on your thoughts if you did!
peck1234's Avatar peck1234
09:38 AM Liked: 11
post #38 of 425
02-07-2012 | Posts: 121
Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by volta View Post

Has anyone picked up some of these? I am very curious on your thoughts if you did!

I ordered a pair yesterday, i'll keep this thread updated as I make progress.
afrogt's Avatar afrogt
09:38 AM Liked: 417
post #39 of 425
02-07-2012 | Posts: 23,408
Joined: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by peck1234 View Post

Absolutely, your denon pushes 125 WPC at 6 ohms.

Only if you play a single 1khz frequency...

125 (6 ohms, 1kHz, THD 0.7%)

Those specs are so misleading but almost every manufacturer does this.

But it will be enough for those speakers. Especially if you have a subwoofer to handle the low frequencies.
dsaylor2008's Avatar dsaylor2008
11:50 AM Liked: 10
post #40 of 425
02-07-2012 | Posts: 18
Joined: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by peck1234 View Post

I ordered a pair yesterday, i'll keep this thread updated as I make progress.

I almost went with these after a ton of reading, but I ended up going the used route (a pair of Snell CIVs that have blown me away). I do have a b-stock ES10i sub from EMP, and after an issue with the amp specs was handled I have been pleased. Even without an audition if I had gone new I would have taken a chance on the E55s.

Would love to see some pics and hear your opinion when you get a chance. Enjoy.
Djoel's Avatar Djoel
12:39 PM Liked: 210
post #41 of 425
02-07-2012 | Posts: 7,730
Joined: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim2000 View Post

I very much doubt that any $1000 pair od speakers will compete with Dali Helicon($6300 a pair). I would hope that the Dali's are far better than these Emp's. I would think that the RBH signature series would be a better competitor for your Dali's.

Of course not that's why I never bought in, I went other direction from the Dali's which I'm very happy.

I'm still curious to hear what owners got to say though..


DJoel
slammin86's Avatar slammin86
10:09 AM Liked: 10
post #42 of 425
02-09-2012 | Posts: 210
Joined: Jan 2011
Well I pulled the trigger and bought a pair of these today. I also bought their larger center channel speaker.

I will be replacing my polk monitor 70 towers and cs2 center. I will be driving them off of my acurus z3x200 amp.

Every review I found on these seemed good. Everyone says they are a neutral speaker. I am tired of the ear fatigue that comes from the M70's and music. Even with audyssey ran and the treble at -4 on my onkyo 709 the brightness kills me.
Dave_I's Avatar Dave_I
10:27 AM Liked: 10
post #43 of 425
02-09-2012 | Posts: 85
Joined: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin86 View Post

Well I pulled the trigger and bought a pair of these today. I also bought their larger center channel speaker.

I will be replacing my polk monitor 70 towers and cs2 center. I will be driving them off of my acurus z3x200 amp.

Congrats! Feel free to let us know how you like them and how they compare to what is replacing them.

-Cheers
Sabin057's Avatar Sabin057
11:33 AM Liked: 10
post #44 of 425
02-09-2012 | Posts: 138
Joined: Dec 2009
Where do you guys see that this is b-stock? The note says:
Quote:


This clearance, "B" stock, discontinued, or refurbished item features discounts from product’s regular price.

I can't see anywhere that says it's b-stock. In the cart, it just says "Clearance." I think they are just clearance, unless someone can point out what I'm missing. (I often miss things, so please correct me if I have.)
slider34z's Avatar slider34z
01:33 PM Liked: 10
post #45 of 425
02-09-2012 | Posts: 76
Joined: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin057 View Post

Where do you guys see that this is b-stock? The note says:


I can't see anywhere that says it's b-stock. In the cart, it just says "Clearance." I think they are just clearance, unless someone can point out what I'm missing. (I often miss things, so please correct me if I have.)

I called them personally when I was looking at new fronts and they are indeed B stock and he said they have "some" blemishes" but didn't go much further than that.

Looking at examples of B stock on their site some of the dings were pretty significant, enough that I didn't pull the trigger.
Sabin057's Avatar Sabin057
01:36 PM Liked: 10
post #46 of 425
02-09-2012 | Posts: 138
Joined: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider34z View Post

I called them personally when I was looking at new fronts and they are indeed B stock and he said they have "some" blemishes" but didn't go much further than that.

Looking at examples of B stock on their site some of the dings were pretty significant, enough that I didn't pull the trigger.

Thanks for clarifying.
peck1234's Avatar peck1234
06:37 AM Liked: 11
post #47 of 425
02-10-2012 | Posts: 121
Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin86 View Post

Well I pulled the trigger and bought a pair of these today. I also bought their larger center channel speaker.

I will be replacing my polk monitor 70 towers and cs2 center. I will be driving them off of my acurus z3x200 amp.

Every review I found on these seemed good. Everyone says they are a neutral speaker. I am tired of the ear fatigue that comes from the M70's and music. Even with audyssey ran and the treble at -4 on my onkyo 709 the brightness kills me.

Nice, very exited to hear what you think of them compared to the monitor 70s.

Mine should be arriving tomorrow.
blatallic's Avatar blatallic
07:02 AM Liked: 10
post #48 of 425
02-10-2012 | Posts: 32
Joined: Feb 2012
Hello guys, I currently have a Denon 1912 and for my towers, I have the Polk TSI300's.

2 questions

1. Would these speakers be a better choice over the tsi300's that I have.
2. Would my denon push theses? I have a 7.1 set up.

Thanks for your advise!
peck1234's Avatar peck1234
07:07 AM Liked: 11
post #49 of 425
02-10-2012 | Posts: 121
Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by blatallic View Post

Hello guys, I currently have a Denon 1912 and for my towers, I have the Polk TSI300's.

2 questions

1. Would these speakers be a better choice over the tsi300's that I have.
2. Would my denon push theses? I have a 7.1 set up.

Thanks for your advise!

I would imagine that the emp"s are much better than ur polks due to the sheer amount of drivers. Also these speakers new cost 800 a pair, while as you can get those polks for about 150 on a deal day. Your receiver should be more than adequate to power these.
blatallic's Avatar blatallic
07:10 AM Liked: 10
post #50 of 425
02-10-2012 | Posts: 32
Joined: Feb 2012
Looks like I'll be returning to the polks and ordering these bad boys. Thanks for the input!!
slammin86's Avatar slammin86
08:08 AM Liked: 10
post #51 of 425
02-10-2012 | Posts: 210
Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider34z View Post

I called them personally when I was looking at new fronts and they are indeed B stock and he said they have "some" blemishes" but didn't go much further than that.

Looking at examples of B stock on their site some of the dings were pretty significant, enough that I didn't pull the trigger.

Looking at the pictures of b stock I did not see any dings really. Everything looked like scuffs.

I will be curious to see what defects mine have.
slammin86's Avatar slammin86
08:09 AM Liked: 10
post #52 of 425
02-10-2012 | Posts: 210
Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by peck1234 View Post

Nice, very exited to hear what you think of them compared to the monitor 70s.

Mine should be arriving tomorrow.

Mine are scheduled to arrive tomorrow also. I am excited to kill all the eq and audyssey on the receiver and compare these side by side with some music.
peck1234's Avatar peck1234
08:11 AM Liked: 11
post #53 of 425
02-10-2012 | Posts: 121
Joined: Dec 2011
Long as they sound good!! : ).

I think we have 4 people who bought these now including myself
slider34z's Avatar slider34z
08:11 AM Liked: 10
post #54 of 425
02-10-2012 | Posts: 76
Joined: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin86 View Post

Looking at the pictures of b stock I did not see any dings really. Everything looked like scuffs.

I will be curious to see what defects mine have.

Scuffs/dings/scratches...all the same to me.

That said though, you are getting what looks to be a great price on a good speaker. Don't let me deter anyone, simply was answering a question. Maybe the B stock look and sound great and I missed out on a great deal.
ALMFamily's Avatar ALMFamily
08:12 AM Liked: 10
post #55 of 425
02-10-2012 | Posts: 112
Joined: Dec 2011
I ordered a pair and got mine - you are correct. I was only able to find a few scuffs and that was because I was really looking for them. I have been really impressed with them so far as I was not expecting much from them - figured they were a serious upgrade to the Acoustimass 10 I have been sporting in my living room.

I did take pics of the scuffs and can post them if anyone is interested in seeing them.
slammin86's Avatar slammin86
08:42 AM Liked: 10
post #56 of 425
02-10-2012 | Posts: 210
Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMFamily View Post

I ordered a pair and got mine - you are correct. I was only able to find a few scuffs and that was because I was really looking for them. I have been really impressed with them so far as I was not expecting much from them - figured they were a serious upgrade to the Acoustimass 10 I have been sporting in my living room.

I did take pics of the scuffs and can post them if anyone is interested in seeing them.

Please do post them. What are your thoughts with the sound?
harley1955's Avatar harley1955
08:48 AM Liked: 10
post #57 of 425
02-10-2012 | Posts: 27
Joined: Jun 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin86 View Post

Well I pulled the trigger and bought a pair of these today. I also bought their larger center channel speaker.

I will be replacing my polk monitor 70 towers and cs2 center. I will be driving them off of my acurus z3x200 amp.

Every review I found on these seemed good. Everyone says they are a neutral speaker. I am tired of the ear fatigue that comes from the M70's and music. Even with audyssey ran and the treble at -4 on my onkyo 709 the brightness kills me.

Now that scares me. Was thinking of getting Monitor 70's, 40's and the cs2.
ALMFamily's Avatar ALMFamily
09:18 AM Liked: 10
post #58 of 425
02-10-2012 | Posts: 112
Joined: Dec 2011
Here are a couple pictures of the boxes:

Speaker one
Speaker two

As you can see, it looks like both were ripped by a forklift. No damage to the speakers though.

Here is boxes removed:

Speaker one
Speaker two

The first speaker - the first picture is a "swirly" on top of the speaker. The next two are right next to cover. They look much worse than they really are as the camera really lit them up.

blemish 1
blemish 2
blemish 3

The second speaker just had the swirly on the top.

blemish 1

And, it's current resting place!

Home!

As far as the sound, I am currently building my HT room so I have not got much time on them yet. However, I have noticed that it handles bass / mids pretty well (I played a Blue Man group track) - crisp, clear and a bit of slam which actually somewhat surprised me TBH.
peck1234's Avatar peck1234
09:20 AM Liked: 11
post #59 of 425
02-10-2012 | Posts: 121
Joined: Dec 2011
Gah!!! I cant wait, take dem grills off!!!!!
blatallic's Avatar blatallic
09:35 AM Liked: 10
post #60 of 425
02-10-2012 | Posts: 32
Joined: Feb 2012
the blemishes do not look that bad. I can't wait to get mine.

I'm taking my Polks back to bestbuy as soon as i get these.

Closed Thread Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3