What to look for in a used speaker - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-25-2012, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys. I'm looking to buy a used pair of definitive technology mythos four floor standing speakers from craigslist and I'm wondering what to look for when buying a used speaker. I'm definitely not an audiophile and I don't have a lot experience listening to speakers so I want to know what to look for to make sure that the speaker is fully functional. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-25-2012, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 506
- Visually inspect the drivers for damage to the drivers or surrounds.
- Put some music on, turn the volume up to a reasonable level and then, by placing an ear next to each driver, check to make sure all the drivers are producing sound.
- Then play some music you're familiar with, at both lower and higher volume levels, and listen for any unusual noises (like crackling, fluttering, etc.).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-25-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. Any other tips guys?
post #4 of 6 Old 01-25-2012, 10:57 AM

Liked: 16
You can also look at the bolts that hold the woofer/tweeter and see if they have markings on them, which would indicate they may have been removed. If they have scuffing/markings on them, it doesn't mean they're garbage, but it would lead to question if they have ever been removed and if so, why.

Also, look at some close-up photos of the speakers/woofers/tweeters on the Internet (preferably from the company website) to get an idea of what they should look like when you see them in person.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-25-2012, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

I know this is a complete rookie question. If the drivers, woofers, tweeters look and sound ok, should I worry about how many hours of usage time there has been since that might make components weaker or wear over time?
post #6 of 6 Old 01-25-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by caunyd View Post

I know this is a complete rookie question. If the drivers, woofers, tweeters look and sound ok, should I worry about how many hours of usage time there has been since that might make components weaker or wear over time?

A generalization, but "no". If the drivers look good and the speakers still sound good, there's no reason you shouldn't get years more service out of them. I sold my old Paradigm 7se's when they were 20 years old and they still sounded awesome they day I sold them.

Damn, I miss them.

But I have a pair of 5se MkII's in my home office - same boxes & drivers as the 7se's - and they are a joy to listen to. I bought them used two or three years ago, and I'm sure they're at least 15 years old...but I LOVE them!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page