Can't make a decision: PSB T5, MA RX-8/RX-6, or something else? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-25-2012, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did my homework and after research had narrowed things down to a tower speaker system. My receiver is a Pioneer SC-05, and I'll mainly be watching movies on the system (not television or etc., all bluray digital sound type stuff). I plan to get a subwoofer for sure - either build my own using a Shiva X driver I have, or just refurbish an ADS SW5 I have that needs a new amp at the very least.

That all said - I went and listened to the entire range of PSB options (T5, T6, GT1, and the comparable bookshelf speakers). From this I definitely zeroed in on the T5's with a subwoofer. Without the subwoofer the T5's sounded harsh, and the bookshelfs/T6's sounded better. But once we added the subwoofer - transformation, and the T5's sounded great (credit the girlfriend who suggested adding the subwoofer to the listening mix).

Then I went to Magnolia where they had me listen to a set of Monitor Audio RX'8, which I have to be honest, sounded great, both for movies (Avatar) and music (I forget the album). I wanted to hear the RX-6's, but they were not hooked up, so I am not sure how these compare to the RX-8's. The RX-8's do seem to go for quite a chunk of change at around $1400 for the set, and that doesn't include the center, which I saw for around $600. That price just seems insaaaaannneee. So maybe the RX-6's are a much better deal?

So now I feel I am down to:

- PSB T5's w/ matching center (C5) : By far the best value for things.
- Monitor Audio RX-6's : The RX-6's look good, but I need to still hear them.
- Polk Audio RTi A7 or A9's : Haven't heard these, but I see some talk about them, and I'm not sure if they are comparable to the above two.

So with all that said - does anyone have any feedback? I feel like I've researched the hell out of things on AVS, so I'm running a bit dry for new insight.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-25-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 391
I prefer the Monitor Audio and PSB above the Polk - Go back and listen
some more with your own source material - find out which one really
moves you the most. See if the RX8 moves you enough - better to think
it through, and not have second thoughts if you buy the RX6.
However, if you do not have a huge room - then the RX6 with a good
sub can work. Both PSB and Monitor, are decent speakers - I am a big
fan of the detail and sense of air, that comes from the Monitor Audio.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #3 of 7 Old 01-25-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I have used the PSB Image T6 speakers for the past year at my new home and I find them really excellent. I have had $4500 Vandersteen 3A speakers at my other house for over 10 years and these come very close to that sound quality.

I listened to the Monitor Audio Silver and Bronze tower speakers before I bought the PSB speakers, and they are also very good, but which one you might want to choose might be affected by the quality of the electronics you drive them with. I am using an Audio Research LS-26 preamp and Bryston 3B-SST amplifier to drive them, which is over $10,000 worth of electronics. That combination does give heavenly sound quality.

My advice would be to listen to the Image T5 speakers and the comparable Monitor Audio speakers (Bronze BX-6) with YOUR electronics in YOUR home, and then decide. Without doing that you are unable to make the best decision for yourself. The electronics you are driving them with and your room acoustics will definitely affect your ultimate decision IMO. I know it is extra trouble, but you should consider it essential.

My feeling, in general, is that the PSB speakers can and will sound a bit better than the comparable Monitor Audio speakers with excellent electronics, but that the Monitor Audio speakers may not be so revealing of the flaws of a lesser amplifier or sound source. Sometimes it is better to not focus the microscope too closely, lol.

The Image T6 has a little more bass than the T5, and the RX-8 has a little more bass than the BX-6 or RX-6, but if one is going to use a subwoofer the small difference is largely irrelevant. The T6 has good bass down to 40 Hz, but I still found that I wanted a subwoofer with them, and eventually added one.

Actually, the price I see on the PSB T5 is $1000 per pair, and the MA Bronze BX-6 is the speaker that seems to sell for the same price from MA. I would think that you would want to compare those two head-to head unless the price does not matter.

I bought the Polk RTA12 Studio Monitors for around $1000 back in 1980 when they came out ( I actually bought the pair that were demonstrated at the CES and then brought back to Absolute Audio in Santa Ana), and have had a lot of listening experience with their speakers in the years since. The current sound quality of their speakers is not equal to the PSB or Monitor Audio or KEF speakers for comparable type and price of speaker IMO.

If you can't get a dealer to loan you the speakers you want to try for a couple of days, which would of course be best, you could buy them from Audio Advisor and then return them if you decide against them, but you will have to unpack and pack them and pay return shipping. You do get 30 days to try them free at home though, which is worth something to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

I prefer the Monitor Audio and PSB above the Polk - Go back and listen
some more with your own source material - find out which one really
moves you the most. See if the RX8 moves you enough - better to think
it through, and not have second thoughts if you buy the RX6.
However, if you do not have a huge room - then the RX6 with a good
sub can work. Both PSB and Monitor, are decent speakers - I am a big
fan of the detail and sense of air, that comes from the Monitor Audio.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-25-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

My feeling, in general, is that the PSB speakers can and will sound a bit better than the comparable Monitor Audio speakers with excellent electronics, but that the Monitor Audio speakers may not be so revealing of the flaws of a lesser amplifier or sound source. Sometimes it is better to not focus the microscope too closely, lol.

He should have some fun, he has 2 good choices.

post #5 of 7 Old 01-25-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Exactly; it will be hard to go wrong with any of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

He should have some fun, he has 2 good choices.

post #6 of 7 Old 01-27-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pulled the trigger on some Monitor Audio RX-6's from Saturday Audio Exchange, along with an RX Center I found on Ebay that was supposedly mint condition. It saved me about $300 so I jumped on it cause the price for Monitor Audio was starting to hurt a bit. Otherwise I think I would have gone with PSB. The MA RX-6's sounded so deep and rich in terms of sound so I just knew I'd regret not going with those. The PSB T5's sounded great too, but for my ears I definitely liked the RX-6's most.

Thanks for the help all - I just need to figure out my subwoofer situation and I'll be good.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-27-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^ Have fun

Reply Speakers

User Tag List