Speaker Advice Needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-25-2012, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to upgrade to a new 5.1 ht setup. Hopefully I'm not getting ahead of myself here, but I should be moving into a new place in the next couple months. The Condo I'm looking to get has a 14X10 Dining room that leads to a sunken family room with an approximate size of 17X12. I have an older Kenwood 7.1 receiver not hooked up that I could start with. Currently I'm looking to upgrade to the Denon 2112CI. The speakers I'm using at the moment are Harmon Kardon HKB 4 for front and surrounds, an Harmon Kardon HKC for the center and a Pioneer, think it was HTiB sub. I'm looking to spend under $1500. I have been following a few of the threads here and came up with a few selections based on my readings.

1.HSU Enthusiast 2 (I know they are good for subs, but haven't seen too much on their speakers)

2.Ascend - 4 CBM-170 SE's, CMT- 340C, and either the HSU STF-2 or Outlaw LFM-1 +. I realize that is the lower end HSU.

3.Ascend - 2 CMT-340 SE's, 2 CBM-170SE's, CMT-340C and the HSU STF-2.

4.Boston Acoustics - 2 VS 260's, the VS 325C, Energy CB-10's and the HSU STF-2.

5.Energy - CB-20's, CB-10's, CC-10 and the Outlaw LFM-1 + (my budget friendly package)

The problem with the Boston Acoustics from what I can tell is, there isn't a 30 day home trial period. Also where I'm living at now would be a much smaller room to test for any of those systems. I have gone to the Magnolia store to hear the selection they have. I really liked the Energy CB-10's they had playing to Live Free Or Die Hard. The energy CB-20's and CB-10's are on sale at best buy til the 28th for $250 and $150, so I'm trying to figure out before then if I should purchase them or not. This setup will be mostly for movies/games/tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-25-2012, 09:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 658
That's a good price on the Energy's, about the best discount that I've seen in several months. I notice it's not available online.

Meanwhile, the Outlaw LFM-1 EX is on special for $549 shipped until the end of the month. That's a step above the Plus, same class as the HSU VTF-3 MK4, and a major step up from the STF-2. For HT, it would be a significant difference. Here's a review: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...fm-1-ex-review

Otherwise, these are all really good speaker choices. You did your homework. I doubt you could lose with any of them

You might be interested in this thread where AVS member deepstang ended up doing a listening test comparing the Energy RC-10, Energy CB-20, and HSU HB1s. Some other discussion of the CBM-170 Ascends there in an early post.

post #3 of 7 Old 01-25-2012, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick27 View Post

I'm looking to upgrade to a new 5.1 ht setup. Hopefully I'm not getting ahead of myself here, but I should be moving into a new place in the next couple months. The Condo I'm looking to get has a 14X10 Dining room that leads to a sunken family room with an approximate size of 17X12. I have an older Kenwood 7.1 receiver not hooked up that I could start with. Currently I'm looking to upgrade to the Denon 2112CI. The speakers I'm using at the moment are Harmon Kardon HKB 4 for front and surrounds, an Harmon Kardon HKC for the center and a Pioneer, think it was HTiB sub. I'm looking to spend under $1500. I have been following a few of the threads here and came up with a few selections based on my readings.

1.HSU Enthusiast 2 (I know they are good for subs, but haven't seen too much on their speakers)

2.Ascend - 4 CBM-170 SE's, CMT- 340C, and either the HSU STF-2 or Outlaw LFM-1 +. I realize that is the lower end HSU.

3.Ascend - 2 CMT-340 SE's, 2 CBM-170SE's, CMT-340C and the HSU STF-2.

4.Boston Acoustics - 2 VS 260's, the VS 325C, Energy CB-10's and the HSU STF-2.

5.Energy - CB-20's, CB-10's, CC-10 and the Outlaw LFM-1 + (my budget friendly package)

The problem with the Boston Acoustics from what I can tell is, there isn't a 30 day home trial period. Also where I'm living at now would be a much smaller room to test for any of those systems. I have gone to the Magnolia store to hear the selection they have. I really liked the Energy CB-10's they had playing to Live Free Or Die Hard. The energy CB-20's and CB-10's are on sale at best buy til the 28th for $250 and $150, so I'm trying to figure out before then if I should purchase them or not. This setup will be mostly for movies/games/tv.

I just bought the Boston's and love them. Vann's does have a 15 day return policy, so you do have some time to try them out.

Aside from the home listening experience one thing I found interesting/encouraging is that Sound & Vision and Home theater Mag (by two different reviewers) gave the Bostons a "highly reccomended" rating --- at their MRSP.

Of course that means nothing if the speakers fail the audition.

As to the other speakers, I can't comment on them having never heard them.

good luck!

Check out my WAF approved living room theater

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1526916/my...-1-living-room
post #4 of 7 Old 01-26-2012, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Cel4145, Yes those Energy prices were in store only. Also thank you for the correction on the Outlaw sub, that was the one I saw on sale, which I had in mind. I'm going to read that listening test thread as it seems exactly like something I'm looking for.

Madhuski, It was actually your comparison thread that got me interested in the Bostons. I also had an interest in the Aperions, and liked the Def Tech's I had also heard at the Magnolia store. The Aperions seemed like great speakers as well, but also were a tiny bit more expensive to the other selections. I wasn't aware of the Vann's policy so that sounds like great news. Would that matter if I purchased them through Amazon since it's on their website they mention it's from Vann's?

Thanks to you both for your responses.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-26-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 980
you narrowed it down pretty good all great choices wont go wrong on any of them the hsu speakers are very good

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #6 of 7 Old 01-26-2012, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick27 View Post

Madhuski, It was actually your comparison thread that got me interested in the Bostons. I also had an interest in the Aperions, and liked the Def Tech's I had also heard at the Magnolia store. The Aperions seemed like great speakers as well, but also were a tiny bit more expensive to the other selections. I wasn't aware of the Vann's policy so that sounds like great news. Would that matter if I purchased them through Amazon since it's on their website they mention it's from Vann's?

You should be fine
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/details...lled=#policies

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #7 of 7 Old 02-05-2012, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, So I got the Energy CB-20 and the CC-10 this past Thursday with the CB-10's coming in tomorrow. I also placed an order for the Boston's as well as the Outlaw. I would like to do a speaker comparison when the Boston's get here, but I'm not sure how best to do it? Without unplugging the speakers and then reconnecting into the other speakers. I would also like to test out the Ascends and also received a PM to check out the Arx brand and test out an Rythmik sub. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to test out the Arx/Ascends until I move which is looking like the end of March. So in getting the Bostons now I just want to compare those to the Energy's and hope to rule out the losing speaker, then do another test with the winner with Arx/Ascend after the move. The Outlaw sub is on backorder so I will compare that to the Rythmik FV12 when the Outlaw arrives.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page