noob needs some help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 01-26-2012, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello everyone,

this my first post here, but ive been reading for awhile, and must say, you guys give some great advice...

ive been in the market for a new setup for my apartment...plasma, blu ray, and receiver with 5.1

ive bought the tv...panny TC-P46ST30 and its being delivered TODAY!!!! but then i must begin the 100 hour panel prep...sad

ive picked out the panny DMP-BDT210 for the blu ray...

i *think* ive picked out the receiver...denon avr 1712. the only inputs i have going into it will be an hd-dvr, the new blu ray, 5 dvd changer (composite), and maybe an n64

but now...the speakers...im a little torn. do i piece together a little set? or buy a set already complete? ive spent a little more than i really wanted to on the tv, but figured, who cares...

ive found these sets, sorry i cant post links yet:
pioneer 5 speaker set at best buy for 290 (SP-FS51-LR, SP-BS21-LR, SP-C21) but then ill need a sub too...

or...

avr-1712 plus the polk tl1600 for 640 shipped

anyone else have any input? ive settled on the receiver i think, mostly because of the reviews ive read here and elsewhere...but will take other input.

basically im looking to spend 5-700 on receiver and speakers...i know its kinda low, but its really all i got

this setup will be used for some tv, blu ray and dvds, and music...loud, beautiful, awesome music...but im not really any sort of an audiophile

ps...i have a set of logitech z-680 5.1 speakers. the sub doesnt seem to work, but i thought i *might* be able to use the others in the mean time, until i can save up some more money...just a thought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-26-2012, 08:59 AM

Welcome to the Forum,

First off I have not heard the Polks, I have however setup and listened to the Pioneers for a friend and they are a great sounding speaker especially for the price.

You are right in the fact you will need a sub in the future but that is something that you can take some time and save up for. I persoanlly like the idea of the Pioneers due to the fact you can go pick them up at BestBuy, set them up, calibrate them and enjoy. Then if you decide you don't like them, you have 30 days to return. In my opinion you can't go wrong with that.

For a budget speaker I would say that you can't go wrong with the Pioneers.

Looking at the polk speakers I noticed they are satellites, I would hands down go with the Pioneers and invest the remaining money into a decent sub.

Something along the lines of the BIC F12 and you will be under your budget and have a decent system.

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F1.../dp/B0015A8Y5M

This is under your $700 budget and leaves some room for a reviever. I'm not really good with finding deals on recievers in that range so I will wait for someone else to chime in on that end of the spectrum.

Others will come in with some other suggestion for speakers etc. Take your time with this decision and you will be alright.

Going Deaf.... And Lovin' It
post #3 of 21 Old 01-26-2012, 09:12 AM

I do see a lot of reccomendations for these, however I have not heard them personally.

http://www.amazon.com/Jamo-S426HCS3-...7597613&sr=8-3

.. I still like the Pioneers :P

Going Deaf.... And Lovin' It
post #4 of 21 Old 01-26-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

ok, ill look more into the pioneers...

i guess, that leaves me about 200 for a sub? any suggestions?

or other sets completely? will the avr-1712 support any sub/speakers? or do i need some external amp?

also, will those logitechs that i mentioned work for the time being?

thanks in advance!
post #5 of 21 Old 01-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Bic F-12 for the sub, decent sub at a good price (188 Amz)
post #6 of 21 Old 01-26-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Speaker "sets" invariably end up being a dead-end for you, because everything in them is crummy, especially the alleged "subwoofer"...lol. There is no substitute for getting a good receiver and front speakers at the very beginning. Get them and build around them.

I suggest that you get a pair of Polk Model 50 speakers $250) for the front now, and build the system up around them and your good receiver as time and money allows. Quality two-channel sound is better place to start than a bunch of cheap little crappy-sounding squeakers and a woofer that won't.

Step 2 get a subwoofer.

Step 3 get the Polk CS2 center speaker ($200).

Step 4 - Add some Monitor 30 speakers for satellite speakers later ($100 per pair), and if you want you can experiment with the old speakers for satellites in the meantime.

That way you will have a plan to upgrade the system logically into a fairly nice system as you go along, and you will start with some good front speakers, not some tiny crap front speakers that ruin the whole show completely.

The front speakers and receiver are the heart of the system. Do that right NOW. Then add a GOOD sub and center speaker (don't cheap out on them).

I think your choice of receiver is very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyburns1 View Post

hello everyone,

*think* ive picked out the receiver...denon avr 1712. the only inputs i have going into it will be an hd-dvr, the new blu ray, 5 dvd changer (composite), and maybe an n64

but now...the speakers...im a little torn. do i piece together a little set? or buy a set already complete? ive spent a little more than i really wanted to on the tv, but figured, who cares...

ive found these sets, sorry i cant post links yet:
pioneer 5 speaker set at best buy for 290 (SP-FS51-LR, SP-BS21-LR, SP-C21) but then ill need a sub too...

avr-1712 plus the polk tl1600 for 640 shipped

ps...i have a set of logitech z-680 5.1 speakers. the sub doesnt seem to work, but i thought i *might* be able to use the others in the mean time, until i can save up some more money...just a thought

post #7 of 21 Old 01-26-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
how big is your room?

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #8 of 21 Old 01-26-2012, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

commsysman:
that seems like some pretty sound logic (pun fully intended)...

are there any other front speakers that i could read up on/compare before i make my final decision?

the dimensions of the room are 12X18 feet? i dunno...i dont have a tape measure, haha

thanks for the help dudes
post #9 of 21 Old 01-26-2012, 07:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Unless you need the features of the Denon 1712 over the 1612, get the 1612 and put your money towards the speakers. The 1612 has very good output for building a budget system. Also, I think it might be possible to get the 1612 at close to $300 from what Amazon sells (someone else will know).

Watch Newegg and register for their mailing list. They put different Polk Monitor speakers on special every week at different times. If you have stands or places to put the speakers, get the Polk Monitor40s when they go on sale again (they do get a little cheaper than right now). If you don't have stands, the Polk Monitor 50s have the same drivers, just in a tower cabinet (no need to buy stands), and are good at this price. The CS2 should go down in price a little more, as will the Monitor 30s. Just pay close attention to Newegg's deals You can also watch them for better budget receiver deals, too, from Pioneer and Onkyo.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #10 of 21 Old 01-26-2012, 08:14 PM

There's nothing crappy about the Pioneer set at that price. They're fantastic speakers. In my case Pioneer BS-41's produce better sound stage than PSB T5's, or Axiom M3's. FS-51's towers are excellent values.
post #11 of 21 Old 01-26-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

refurb denon 1312- $170-accesseries4less

nht-classic3 $600 a pair on sale (they have some bass so you can live without a sub for awhile) i think these are a great bargin for the price

alittle over budget but well worth it

heres a great 2.0 start something you can add to. "imo" with that kind of budget going 2.0 and getting a good set of fronts for a foundation is very important.then you can save for a good sub your next important part and slowly piece the rest in.this will save you gobs of money in the long run and you will end up with a great sounding system in the end i say be smart dont think that you need every thing right now a2.0 system with good speakers will sound better than what you had

post #12 of 21 Old 01-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

ok, ill look more into the pioneers...

i guess, that leaves me about 200 for a sub? any suggestions?

or other sets completely? will the avr-1712 support any sub/speakers? or do i need some external amp?

also, will those logitechs that i mentioned work for the time being?

thanks in advance!

Except for the subwoofer out, I don't think the 1712 has pre-outs so you can't use an external amp for your speakers, although you shouldn't need an external amp if you get efficient speakers. The subwoofer will have its own amplifier built in most cases unless you go DIY.
post #13 of 21 Old 01-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

And call Electronic Expo as well as AV Science Sales for the Denon and see what they can do on price.
post #14 of 21 Old 01-26-2012, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Definitely don't cheap out on the speakers! Inevitably, people rarely upgrade those, although they make by far the biggest difference in the sound. As a speaker engineer I'll admit I'm biased, but on the other hand it is the absolute truth.

I'll also say forget about cheap subs. With speakers and subs, cheap means cheap. There are indeed some jewels in the rough, but miracles don't come free.

I too suggest you'd be fine with the Denon 1612. I love mine. Then again, the price seems to have gone up and the -1712 only $50 more. Mine was refurb from an Amazon vendor for like $229 and Crutchfield et al were at $299 (December 2011). If HDMI Standby Pass-through is not important to you, save the money and get that $170 AVR-1312, it will be great, what a bargain.

Then I agree get some great stereo speakers, instead of some crummier 5.1 (Polk is a great company but those particular speakers have only 2.5" woofers; 5" is the MINIMUM satellites should generally have). I too am an NHT fan
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NHT3

Then later upgrade by adding the sub, surrounds, center bit-by-bit.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-27-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

ok thanks for the advice, guys

im thinking i want the 1712, because i feel it may be more 'future proof' and from what i read the audyssey multeq in the 1712 is better than in then 1612 or the 1312...is that correct?

im also thinking i might grab the monitor 50s now...this should provide enough bass until i can get a sub.

ill grab the center in a few months.

grab the sub a few months after that.

then the 40s after that.

any other ideas?

oh yah, do i reeeeeallyyyyy need stands for the 40s? could i survive with enough bass with just the 40s in the front instead of the 50s?
post #16 of 21 Old 01-27-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

ok thanks for the advice, guys

im thinking i want the 1712, because i feel it may be more 'future proof' and from what i read the audyssey multeq in the 1712 is better than in then 1612 or the 1312...is that correct?

im also thinking i might grab the monitor 50s now...this should provide enough bass until i can get a sub.

ill grab the center in a few months.

grab the sub a few months after that.

then the 40s after that.

any other ideas?

oh yah, do i reeeeeallyyyyy need stands for the 40s? could i survive with enough bass with just the 40s in the front instead of the 50s?

For music the monitor 50's will hold you over until you get a subwoofer but you need to realize they really need a subwoofer. Monitor 60's would be better but I don't believe they are on sale right now

And you need stands for monitor 40's as they don't come with wall mounts and they are too heavy for most. You might be able to surviv with out a subwoofer with either as they are pretty much 100% equal in terms of bass response but you will need to add one soon

Ignore the Denon avr-1312 it is pointless and will require you to upgrade in the near future.
post #17 of 21 Old 01-27-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

imo do yourself a favor. if your intrested in the polks i instead would go to best buy and purchase

2 - bic 8" towers-$300-better specs than polks more bass so you wont need sub for fronts

2- bic-6 1/2" bookshelf for rears-$110

1- bic 6 1/2" center channel-$110

and what ever avr you want this way you'll have your whole setup

again imo i would rather have great 2.0 than this but its your choice

post #18 of 21 Old 01-27-2012, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

why would i want to buy them at bestbuy? its not like i would be supporting a local business or anything...
post #19 of 21 Old 01-27-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

i really dont care where you buy them i thought that would be easiest if you have one near you

post #20 of 21 Old 01-27-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

ok so after reading a little bit more, i am just friggin overwhelmed...

so i guess i should ask this: if im looking for a 2.0 setup (to be expanded and added to over the next year or more), what should i look for in the speakers?

like i said before, im not an audiophile, but im definitely somewhat of a perfectionist...if im gonna be spending money, i want the best bang for my buck. i want to know that its the best for what i want/can afford. while im not an audiophile, im not a total idiot, and can compare specs between things. the only thing is, when it comes to speakers, im not totally sure what i should be comparing...

so back to my question, what do i look for? tweeter/woofer sizes, impedence levels, materials used, frequency ranges, drivers, yada yada yada...what makes one company better than another? who are all these companies that ive never heard of making these very popular and very expensive speakers?

i dont mind learning what all these things are, in fact id love to learn all about it. i just dont know what to read, or where to start...

so. any ideas?
post #21 of 21 Old 01-27-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

imo like i mentioned before the nht classic 3 is agreat deal for $600 a pair inlooking at speakers especially with home theater and gaming you want clarity in the high end and good midrange .you let the sub handle the bass the classic 3 has very good upper and midrange and goes down to 45hz which is pretty good for that price range.this is pretty good for music listening but for home theater you want to get down closer to 20hz theres where the sub comes in.to get a speaker to cover the hole spectrum 20hz to 20khz it would cost you thousands. at 45hz you could still have good bass which will satisfy until you get a "good" sub .the only reason i paired it with the lower avr is to accomendate the purchase of a set of good quality fronts for a good foundation so you dont have to purchase new ones every time you upgrade.this will save you a ton of money in the long runthe avr should be good enough and sound great for the time being unless you need all the bells and whistles. avr's are upgraded every 6 months it seems so if you buy new one today it will probualy be dated in the near future again i'm not telling you or anybody else that this is the best set of speakers and you should go out and buy them and i'm not telling you that you have to purchase your system this way either thats your decision i'm just giving you other options to look at.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page