New Great Room Need help for speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-27-2012, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am remodeling the house and my great room, where guests and gatherings will be held, is a 28 by 22 room. I am only using this room specifically for music for entertainment for guests and parties, no movies or anything like that. and for aesthetic reasons i want to go with in-wall or in ceiling speakers. which one should i go with? should i go with two very well designed speakers or go with more speakers? also what speakers should i be looking at if i have about a 1500 budget give or take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-28-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
My choice for in-wall speakers in that price range would probably be PSB speakers. The PSB CW363 is one good one, but they have several that might be of interest.

The Audio Advisor website has a lot of PSB in-wall speakers listed; they have a whole "In-wall speaker" section and list several other brands too.

How many speakers depends on a lot of factors. More people means you need more power, and also if you are talking about background music that takes a lot less power than cranking it up loud for dancing or just loud partying.

All of those factors are going to determine the power handling rating required for each speaker and how many speakers and how much amplifier you need to drive them also.

Don't get speakers that are too small. It is very common for in-wall speakers to overheat and burn out if they are too small. A poster 2 days ago reported that his Klipsch ceiling speakers had burned out twice already. They only had a 40 watt RMS rating (and I question that), and that obviously was not enough for the way he was using them; he smoked them pretty good, apparently.

Most manufacturers of in-wall speakers do not give an actual power rating for them. They do usually give a range of recommended amplifier power, however. I would look for speakers that have a recommended amplifier power range that goes up to over 100 watts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballgms View Post

I am remodeling the house and my great room, where guests and gatherings will be held, is a 28 by 22 room. I am only using this room specifically for music for entertainment for guests and parties, no movies or anything like that. and for aesthetic reasons i want to go with in-wall or in ceiling speakers. which one should i go with? should i go with two very well designed speakers or go with more speakers? also what speakers should i be looking at if i have about a 1500 budget give or take.

post #3 of 6 Old 01-28-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 743
What kind of music do you plan on playing, and how loud? If it's dance/hip hop/dubstep/trance, and you like music at volumes where people might be dancing, then a good subwoofer could be very important, if you don't have one already.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #4 of 6 Old 01-28-2012, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the music i would be listining to is international, but i guess has charecteristics close to hip hop/pop. i would like to play it loud at times for people to dance to.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-28-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Then you want to budget for a sub, and you have a big room which means big sub in the room.

Were you planning on the sub being part of the budget?

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #6 of 6 Old 01-28-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

My choice for in-wall speakers in that price range would probably be PSB speakers. The PSB CW363 is one good one, but they have several that might be of interest.

The Audio Advisor website has a lot of PSB in-wall speakers listed; they have a whole "In-wall speaker" section and list several other brands too.

How many speakers depends on a lot of factors. More people means you need more power, and also if you are talking about background music that takes a lot less power than cranking it up loud for dancing or just loud partying.

All of those factors are going to determine the power handling rating required for each speaker and how many speakers and how much amplifier you need to drive them also.

Don't get speakers that are too small. It is very common for in-wall speakers to overheat and burn out if they are too small. A poster 2 days ago reported that his Klipsch ceiling speakers had burned out twice already. They only had a 40 watt RMS rating (and I question that), and that obviously was not enough for the way he was using them; he smoked them pretty good, apparently.

Most manufacturers of in-wall speakers do not give an actual power rating for them. They do usually give a range of recommended amplifier power, however. I would look for speakers that have a recommended amplifier power range that goes up to over 100 watts.

just curious why are you so affixiated with audio advisor are you or someone you know part owner i've done business with them before and they are great to deal with but i've also done purchases from other stores and distributers with great results.please don't take this in a negative way just curious.

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page