Titling surrounds - any benefit? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-28-2012, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am installing a 7.1 system in my smallish 12 x 16 basement rec room where the 4 surround speakers will, due to practical reasons, not be ideally located. The side surrounds will be about a foot higher than the recommended 6 feet (to limit head bumps when walking past) and the rear surrounds will be ceiling mounted inside the box that is built around duct work between the duct work and a structural beam.

Can I expect any improvement in the listening experience by tilting the side surrounds slightly down and tilting the rear in ceiling speakers slightly forward? I have seen ceiling mounted speakers that are tilted about 15 degrees inside the enclosure. Although those are not the ones that I am planning on buying, it is the same idea. The rear surrounds will be about 5 feet behind the listening position at the 45 degree of-axis angle. Further to the back is an open stairway and washroom door etc which make wall mounted rears impractical.

Epson 8500UB (R); Elite Electric100 16:9; Yamaha RX-V671; Polk Monitor 60 x 2, Polk CS2, Polk Monitor 30 x 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-28-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 98
You should not experience any problems doing that. It is actually recommended that you tilt the side surrounds down towards the main listening position.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page