AVS Forum banner

5.1 surround sound for bedroom

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Inf123 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the whole surround sound setup, I have a room that's about 18ft x 14ft and I was planning on setting up surround sound system looking to spend around 600-700 (Canadian) and was wondering what everyone thinks would be the best setup I could buy for that range. I don't mind ordering online if that is better.

So far I see futureshop has a sale on KEF KHT 1505 for 599.99

the other 2 i see is a polk audio RM6750 for 599.99 and a harmon kardon HKTS20BQ for 699.99. I've heard good reviews on the KEF one but not sure if there is better.

For the receiver I was planning on spending around 300-400 and ideally I'd like 4 hdmi in outside that I'm not sure what other features I should be looking for in a receiver so any help here would also be appreciated

Thanks

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inf123 /forum/post/21566449

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the whole surround sound setup, I have a room that's about 18ft x 14ft and I was planning on setting up surround sound system looking to spend around 600-700 (Canadian) and was wondering what everyone thinks would be the best setup I could buy for that range. I don't mind ordering online if that is better.

the other 2 i see is a polk audio RM6750 for 599.99 and a harmon kardon HKTS20BQ for 699.99. I've heard good reviews on the KEF one but not sure if there is better.

For the receiver I was planning on spending around 300-400 and ideally I'd like 4 hdmi in outside that I'm not sure what other features I should be looking for in a receiver so any help here would also be appreciated

Thanks
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....-Cat80&topnav=

#3 ·
As speaker packages go, the KEF 1505 seems to be getting a lot of positive reactions from reviewers; that might be your best bet. the subwoofer seems to be halfway decent, which is not true of most packages. Most of them have a sub which is next to worthless.

The receiver I would recommend to someone on a budget is the Pioneer VSX-821K, which is on Amazon for $200 and seems to offer amazing value, very good power, and quite a few good features for the price, including 4 HDMI inputs and bluetooth and I-pod connect.

One thing reviewers have commented on, though, is the relatively weak performance of the center speaker in that set. You might want to consider buying the Polk CS10 or Sony SS-CN 5000 to replace the center channel speaker and get more sound there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inf123 /forum/post/21566449

Hi Everyone,

Thanks

#6 ·
The Polk set is easy to get down here for a lot cheaper . You might even be able to import it somehow cheaper than Futureshop. That KEF package seems cheaper than what we can get it for in the US right now, even cheaper than accessories4less.com who sells overstock and factory refurbished. You might research and ask in the KEF owners thread to see if anyone is familiar with it.

#7 ·
So I just saw a new set KEF KHT3005SE for $900 bucks (CAD) I know these would normally be out of my price range as I see these go from 1200-1500 at other stores online, but for 900 seems like a good deal.

Would it be worth it to spend the 900 and get this set as opposed to the ones suggested so far?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.