Bought Polk C20 as center, what Polks to pair as LR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-30-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
clutch69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I just bought a Polk CS20 as center channel, I have about 450 MAX to spend, I would like a sub and a Left and Right Front. It's a larger room, but I don't need to blow anything up, just want something that sonically would pair nicely with the center channel. I have a Denon 1712 that I will be running Audyssey Multi XT for the set up once I get the speakers. I haven't even taken the Denon out of the box yet. I know a very limited amount regarding speakers so I am calling upon people that love to talk and discuss speakers to help me out.
clutch69 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 01-30-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,211
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 157
for $450 firm budget and something that matches I would suggest

Polk Monitor 60's Series ii's at newegg sale price of $99/per speaker so sign up for email alert deals. They should be stocked soon judging on prior sales
Bic F12 subwoofer at $188

If you could spend $488, you could score Polk Monitor 70's series ii at $150 per speaker and a Bic F12 subwoofer
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 01-30-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
67jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Your CS20 will be an exact match to the polk TSI 400 or 500. It was also match the monitor 60 or 70 very well and shouldn't be a problem if you choose to go for the monitors.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
67jason is online now  
post #4 of 13 Old 01-30-2012, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
clutch69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the replys gents, I was thinking that was prolly the way to go, pulled the trigger on the BIC F12 for 188, I will just have to watch Newegg for the Monitor's to go on sale. I got the CS20 for 104.99 from Newegg over the weekend. I am hoping to have a kind of best bang for buck system going here.
clutch69 is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 01-30-2012, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
clutch69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anybody know if like the Polk Monitor 30 would be fine for the surrounds? Everything else I would have would have a 90db sensitivity, and the monitor 30's woulf be 89db. Is that ok? For surrounds?
clutch69 is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 01-30-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
67jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch69 View Post

anybody know if like the Polk Monitor 30 would be fine for the surrounds? Everything else I would have would have a 90db sensitivity, and the monitor 30's woulf be 89db. Is that ok? For surrounds?


The 30s are fine for surrounds. I have a pair that i am using for heights and have no issues matching the rest of my monitor set up. (70's, 60's, and cs2). The one db difference in efficiency is really not noticed.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
67jason is online now  
post #7 of 13 Old 01-30-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Since you have a sub, either the Monitor 50 or Monitor 60 should work out fine, or the Monitor 40 for that matter. They all go down to 50-60 Hz, which is one thing you want.

The Monitor 30 should work fine for any satellite location.



Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch69 View Post

Hello, I just bought a Polk CS20 as center channel, I have about 450 MAX to spend, I would like a sub and a Left and Right Front. It's a larger room, but I don't need to blow anything up, just want something that sonically would pair nicely with the center channel. I have a Denon 1712 that I will be running Audyssey Multi XT for the set up once I get the speakers. I haven't even taken the Denon out of the box yet. I know a very limited amount regarding speakers so I am calling upon people that love to talk and discuss speakers to help me out.

commsysman is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 01-30-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,274
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 648
That will be a good setup with the 30s as surrounds.

Be sure to check out AVS member batpig's docs on Audyssey and Denon receivers. Will really help you to get the most of your new setup.

cel4145 is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 01-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Florida_Gator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the CS20 center, Bic F12 sub, and recently upgraded my fronts to Monitor II 60s. Sounds GREAT. Monitor II 30s would be perfect for surrounds (very similar to the Polk R150s I'm using for same).

I set all my speakers to small, and crossover at 80hz on my receiver. On the sub, set phase to "0", crossover knob on sub to max (180hz I think), and the switch to the digital 5.1,6.1,7.1 setting.

I didn't like what Audessey came up with for channel levels, so I did all my own settings for the speakers--YMMV. I started with them all at "0", then found I like the center at +3 or 4, sub at +3 (then adjust sub volume on sub), and surounds at +2. Since your Denon has the advanced Audessey stuff, you might try that, then tweak from what it comes up with (beware though, Audessey often makes the front mains "large", which I would advise against).

Have fun with your new stuff!

Florida_Gator
Florida_Gator is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 02-03-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
clutch69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I ordered Polk Monitor 50's for my Front L and R's. I know they have the 89db sensitity and my Cs2 center and Bic f12 sub have 90db sensitivity, I just couldn't pass up the great deal and want/have to take to little lady out for V-day. I have Bose 201's that I will use for the surrounds for now. I am hoping this set up, once set up with Audyssey will be worth the money. The only other actual 5.1 set up I have was with the Bose 201's and my Front L and R and the Bose 161's as my rears and the Bose vc10 as the center and a crappy HTIB Sony sub. I was never blown away at all by my old set up, I am hoping by me "skimping" and getting the Monitor 50's as my Front L and R's that I didn't ruin it. I will set it all up in about 10 days or so and let you guys know.
clutch69 is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 02-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Florida_Gator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It will be great. You might want/have to tweak it at bit after running Audessey, but no biggie.

I use Bose 201s for another 2-channel setup and they're pretty good up to medium volumes. They should make fine surrounds. Still recommend all small with 80hz crossover.

Congrats on the new system!

Florida_Gator
Florida_Gator is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 02-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Senior Member
 
grizimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I just recently bought a complete set of Polks on newegg. Couldn't pass up the price. Monitor 60s for FL and FR, CS2 for center and monitor 30s for surround. They all sound fantastic. Now just waiting on my Outlaw EX sub I got on sale to complete the 5.1. End of the month can't come soon enough. All in all less than $1000 into speakers. Not a bad first surround system outside of HTiB. Can't wait to shake the siding off my house...

grizimes is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 02-03-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,211
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch69 View Post

Well I ordered Polk Monitor 50's for my Front L and R's. I know they have the 89db sensitity and my Cs2 center and Bic f12 sub have 90db sensitivity, I just couldn't pass up the great deal and want/have to take to little lady out for V-day. I have Bose 201's that I will use for the surrounds for now. I am hoping this set up, once set up with Audyssey will be worth the money. The only other actual 5.1 set up I have was with the Bose 201's and my Front L and R and the Bose 161's as my rears and the Bose vc10 as the center and a crappy HTIB Sony sub. I was never blown away at all by my old set up, I am hoping by me "skimping" and getting the Monitor 50's as my Front L and R's that I didn't ruin it. I will set it all up in about 10 days or so and let you guys know.

Just run Audyssey on your AVR-1712 and it will get the speakers calibrated to your room
crazyrob425 is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off