Recommendations for upgrading from 3.1 to 5.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-30-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just moved into a new place, and finally have an opportunity to upgrade my system from its current 3.1 to a 5.1. I would like recommendations on what speakers to get for the 2 surround channels given my current setup. I'd like to stay under $500 total!

The room is a family room roughly 17' by 19' with a cathedral sloped ceiling, so it is not necesarily the best for sound quality Listening position is about 12' from the TV. One side of the room is fully open to the kitchen. Our main focus is on TV/movies, although we also use the system for music. However, when used for music, we are not normally in the room sitting down.

The room is wired for the 2 surround channels, and the wires are on built-in shelves, so ideally speakers need to be shelf-worthy - though I expect that is not an issue with most surrounds.

Current setup:
Onkyo TX-SR706
Infinity RS-2 for the fronts and CC-3 for the center. Both 12+ years old, but still sounding good.
Hsu VTF-2 for the sub

Thanks for your recommendations!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-30-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Have you considered a pair of mirage omd5 for the rear surrounds? Omnidirectional should work well for you.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-30-2012, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

I have not considered anything beyond what was at my local BB/Magnolia - which is not necessarily the best option

From the name, I roughly understand what omnidirectionals due. However, I'd be interested to know why you think they might work well for my setup.
Carlos
post #4 of 6 Old 01-30-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I use them, so I know they work. If the blend well with my paradigms, they should blend well for you. You have a large room like I do and these are able to fill the room with sound without standing out as awkward. They can be mounted inverted so the tweeter faces downward as well.

http://search.vanns.com/sitesearch/search?q=Omd5
post #5 of 6 Old 01-30-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I suggest the Monitor Audio M1 speakers for the rear speakers. They have very good sound characteristics which do not draw undue attention to themselves, and therefore will work well with many other speakers.

The base is about 7 inches square and 10 inches high, if that will fit your shelves. I think they are about $250 per pair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosn View Post

I just moved into a new place, and finally have an opportunity to upgrade my system from its current 3.1 to a 5.1. I would like recommendations on what speakers to get for the 2 surround channels given my current setup. I'd like to stay under $500 total!

The room is a family room roughly 17' by 19' with a cathedral sloped ceiling, so it is not necesarily the best for sound quality Listening position is about 12' from the TV. One side of the room is fully open to the kitchen. Our main focus is on TV/movies, although we also use the system for music. However, when used for music, we are not normally in the room sitting down.

The room is wired for the 2 surround channels, and the wires are on built-in shelves, so ideally speakers need to be shelf-worthy - though I expect that is not an issue with most surrounds.

Current setup:
Onkyo TX-SR706
Infinity RS-2 for the fronts and CC-3 for the center. Both 12+ years old, but still sounding good.
Hsu VTF-2 for the sub

Thanks for your recommendations!

post #6 of 6 Old 01-31-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I suggest the Monitor Audio M1 speakers for the rear speakers. They have very good sound characteristics which do not draw undue attention to themselves, and therefore will work well with many other speakers.

The base is about 7 inches square and 10 inches high, if that will fit your shelves. I think they are about $250 per pair.

SEems like the M1 has been replaced by the MR1. Will have to see if that results in a discount on the M1s or if the MR1s have the same blending characteristics you liked. Thanks!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page