Speaker Purchase: Crutchfield vs. Electronics Expo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 01-31-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I apologize if this isn't the correct place to post this, but I couldn't find a different thread that seemed more appropriate.

I'm looking to purchase the Infinity P363 floor speakers which are currently sold out at all dealers that I've found. So right now I'm waiting for them to come back in stock. I've been told that Crutchfield and Electronics Expo are two places I should buy from. I've heard great things about Crutchfield's service. I'm wondering what opinions are about Electronics Expo.

I ask this because when I look up the speakers on EE, they are dramatically less then Crutchfield and every other site I've seen. They told me it would be $170 each where they're over $300 at Crutchfield. Also the Denon receiver I want is over $200 less at EE then Crutchfield.

Is there any particular reason why Electronics Expo is so much cheaper then other dealers? Is there anything I should be looking out for, or is EE a great, legitimate dealer and I should buy from them if the price is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-31-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Might not be a licensed retailer of the products... Or is selling you refurbished products and you don't realize it

Maybe shipping cost. Crutchfield has free shipping
post #3 of 26 Old 01-31-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Electronics-Expo is listed as an authorized retailer on their website so it's not that. I asked them many times about the refurbished thinking the same, but they indicated it's new. Shipping was only $10 each so not huge to make a difference.
post #4 of 26 Old 01-31-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
It's a competitors market. EE will give you the best price over the phone. Auth dealers have to post msrp on their website. However calling them can bring you a lot of savings. Besides, Crutchfield has been overpriced from the beginning. Unless you need someone on the phone holding your hand step by step during hookup, save yourself 25% off msrp.
post #5 of 26 Old 01-31-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Not sure if anyone knows this, but any clue on when the Infinity P363 will be back in stock? It's sold out everywhere and no one seems to know when they'll get more.
post #6 of 26 Old 01-31-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Go for the lowest price.

Regards,
Charlie

post #7 of 26 Old 01-31-2012, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I'd also take a look at websites like this:
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Electronics_Expo
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Crutchfield

Not only are the speakers cheaper at Electronics Expo (in this particular case), their ratings look to be much better than Crutchfield's.

post #8 of 26 Old 01-31-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancineb View Post

I ask this because when I look up the speakers on EE, they are dramatically less then Crutchfield and every other site I've seen. They told me it would be $170 each where they're over $300 at Crutchfield. Also the Denon receiver I want is over $200 less at EE then Crutchfield.

You do not want the 362 - the major difference will be cosmetic.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P362...nfinity+primus

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #9 of 26 Old 01-31-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

You do not want the 362 - the major difference will be cosmetic.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P362...nfinity+primus

I'm confused. Are you saying the 362 would be a bad choice or saying they would be fine because the 363 are only a cosmetic difference?
post #10 of 26 Old 01-31-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:

I'm confused. Are you saying the 362 would be a bad choice or saying they would be fine because the 363 are only a cosmetic difference?

I wrote it wrong - I was asking if you considered it. The 362 would
be a solid choice. I reccomend that you consider it.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #11 of 26 Old 01-31-2012, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Ah, gotcha... need to read it as a question :-)

I have nothing against the P362 other then that the P363 at EE is still cheaper at $170. If the price at EE was the same as others, I'd definitely get the P362.
post #12 of 26 Old 01-31-2012, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have bought a projector, Denon receiver, as well as referred friends and family to EE and have yet to have any issues. They are reputable.

post #13 of 26 Old 01-31-2012, 02:41 PM

Get quote over phone as well as use their online chat for another quote. I actually live near one and they have much better deals negotiating outside of the b&m store
post #14 of 26 Old 01-31-2012, 04:57 PM

Liked: 13
I love Crutchfield, never had experience with EE.

He's right about the differences between the 362 and 363, I have a pair of 163s and there is really no difference in their sound compared to the 162s.
post #15 of 26 Old 01-31-2012, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Between me and my extended family we have purchased 5--I think--Denon receivers from EE without issue. I can't speak to other products, but they are the first place I look to for receivers.
post #16 of 26 Old 01-31-2012, 11:40 PM

Liked: 16
EE is a good retailer. They are authorized dealers and offer competitive prices on all their products. Crutchfield has been around for years and have excellent customer service....but will not cut you any deals on price. I say go EE all the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 26 Old 02-01-2012, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I'll just have to keep an eye on EE in hopes that the speakers come in stock. Unfortunately, they don't carry the P362 or else I'd get those. Probably just carry the current model. If it goes to long, I might have to jump over to Crutchfield and buy the P362 and get the receiver from EE.
post #18 of 26 Old 02-01-2012, 11:06 AM

I have found Crutchfield ships way faster. I ordered an item from each of them on the same day last week. Crutchfields order arrived yesterday and EE has still yet to ship the order.
post #19 of 26 Old 02-01-2012, 11:36 AM

Have purchased electronics and speakers from both vendors before. If I remember it right though, with EE, you have to register and pay some amount of money to be a special member or something to avail of the special prices... plus they also charge shipping plus taxes.

Crutchfield is free shipping for all orders and is tax free. I believe they would end up pretty much the same amount but I just find Crutchfield to be very very good in customer service... fast shipping, excellent with their warranties and technical support.
post #20 of 26 Old 02-01-2012, 12:47 PM

I've ordered from both - I would say Crutchfield has better customer service and knowledge when you're comparing two products or have an questions. EE is really great when it comes to pricing but I have noticed their shipping to be a bit slow as well, but I'm just nitpicking now.

I will say, OneCall is great as well. They focus more in general electronics, but if they got it, I definately order from there. Probably one of the best companies to buy from nowadays.
post #21 of 26 Old 02-01-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. I'll just have to keep an eye on EE in hopes that the speakers come in stock. Unfortunately, they don't carry the P362 or else I'd get those. Probably just carry the current model. If it goes to long, I might have to jump over to Crutchfield and buy the P362 and get the receiver from EE.

Plenty of coupons out there to save $20 off each speaker at Crutchfield.
post #22 of 26 Old 02-01-2012, 08:13 PM

I have seen many people talk about these Crutchfield coupons but no one says how to get them.
post #23 of 26 Old 02-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelousMarvin View Post

Have purchased electronics and speakers from both vendors before. If I remember it right though, with EE, you have to register and pay some amount of money to be a special member or something to avail of the special prices... plus they also charge shipping plus taxes.

Crutchfield is free shipping for all orders and is tax free. I believe they would end up pretty much the same amount but I just find Crutchfield to be very very good in customer service... fast shipping, excellent with their warranties and technical support.

EE collects sales tax only if they have to based on where you live. I've never paid sales tax on any purchase from EE. I've also never paid any sort of special member fee, and I got a screaming deal on my 4311 the week or so after they came out--when everyone else I called was holding firm on msrp.
post #24 of 26 Old 02-01-2012, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I just saw the electronic expo name and decide to left my bad experience with that store I bought a pair of energy rc minis speakers,I was very impressed for the price they where selling the speakers,The speaker where used but they describe the product as excellent condition,when the speakers arrive they came damage, broken in very bad shape the box was in perfect condition but the speakers inside where real bad,I decide to call and explain the situation they hear what was the problem they told me to call later ,I decide to call but they hang up on me,Several calls and hang up or making excuses like please call back in 10 minutes the return department is busy right now,I end up chatting with then I send then pictures of the speakers,They told me to call!!!... Well the thing is that they where keep doing the same thing back and forward they never send me a return label they ignored my return.lost $200 on a purchase never receive the money back and a return label.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos play:1 for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos play 1 surrounds.
post #25 of 26 Old 02-02-2012, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenyx View Post

I've ordered from both - I would say Crutchfield has better customer service and knowledge when you're comparing two products or have an questions. EE is really great when it comes to pricing but I have noticed their shipping to be a bit slow as well, but I'm just nitpicking now.

I will say, OneCall is great as well. They focus more in general electronics, but if they got it, I definately order from there. Probably one of the best companies to buy from nowadays.

I've had good service from Crutchfield, J&R and OneCall over the years. I like OneCall a lot and now tend to use them since it's up in Spokane and close to where I live in rural Oregon. I've ordered on an early Monday morning and gotten my item on Wed. Pretty cool since I live in the middle of nowhere.
post #26 of 26 Old 02-02-2012, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas1723 View Post

I have seen many people talk about these Crutchfield coupons but no one says how to get them.

Anyone here that has bought from Crutchfield can give you a new customer code to save $20 off $100.

Then there is the code for using a Visa to save $20 off $100.

http://usa.visa.com/personal/discoun...829&pageId=197

Then there is code 3A825 for $20 off $100. That is probably still current.

And 3A865, which if you buy $150 gives you $25 off a future order. That is also probably still current.

Then I have also seen Paypal codes now and then.

But absolutely, positively you can use a new customer referral code if you haven't bought from them and the Visa code is good at least until the end of June. (I would click on the provided link for the Visa code just to be sure, because it does make a comment on the web page).

Is this helpful enough?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page