Def Tech vs HSU Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-01-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, I have recently purchased an HSU Research VTF-1 subwoofer and am blown away by how awesome it sounds. I am so impressed that I am now considering replacing some or all of my existing speakers with HSU Research HB-1 MK2 Horn Bookshelfs and an HC-1 MK2 Horn Center Channel.

I am currently running a 7.1 system with the following:

Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR876
Front/Left - Carver Cinema 5.2 (not running subs)
Center Channel - DefTech ProCenter 1000
Surround Side L/R - DefTech SR-8040BP
Surround Rear L/R - Polk Audio RM2350

I have basically pieced all of this together over the last 14 years and spent as little as possible, but actually have a pretty decent sounding system, considering how much I have spent on everything.

I'm always looking to upgrade at a bargain and I was starting to move towards all DefTech products because of the "bang-for-the-buck", but after hearing how great my HSU sub is for the price I paid, I am considering selling off everything and buying the HSU speakers listed above to replace what I currently have.

Has anyone compared DefTechs to the HSU Research bookshelf speakers and center? I was considering replacing the Carvers with the DefTech Gem, keeping my ProCenter 1000 and BP sides, and then swapping out the Polk Surrounds with either the Procenter 800 or 1000 satellites.

It will probably cost the same to replace all 7 speakers with the HSU's versus only adding the DefTech Gems to the front and the DefTech 1000s to the rear, keeping everything else the same.

I appreciate anyone's thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-02-2012, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter

ttt
post #3 of 13 Old 02-02-2012, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Just going from the specs, I would much rather have the Hsu center than the Deftech center, I mean, if they aren't going to match anyway might as well have the most capable performer. As for the Carvers, well the Hsu speakers aren't likely to have the punch of something with built-in subs, and its hard to say how they will compare. Since Hsu has a 30 day full refund window, I would order a pair of HB-1s and compare them to the Carvers. If you like the Carvers better, return the HB-1s and you are only out shipping.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-02-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Horn speakers are not everyone's cup of tea; I would do some serious listening before I spent money on those. They play loud, but not necessarily that well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbie96 View Post

ttt

post #5 of 13 Old 02-02-2012, 07:45 AM

Liked: 11
I own the HSU's and like them for their price. But the fit/finish on them is a bit meh. I don't like the center channel at all, the bookshelves are great - easy to drive, sound good, go loud and are reasonably flat but the center sucks. It's off axis listening is terrible (in my room). It basically has a sweet spot and that's it. I actually prefer just running the Front's with a phantom center. They sound better with the massive grills off, and thats where the fit/finish comes in. My wife gives them a 0 on WAF due to the grill off look. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my VTF3-MK3 though.

- Jon
post #6 of 13 Old 02-02-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunprophet View Post

I own the HSU's and like them for their price. But the fit/finish on them is a bit meh. I don't like the center channel at all, the bookshelves are great - easy to drive, sound good, go loud and are reasonably flat but the center sucks. It's off axis listening is terrible (in my room). It basically has a sweet spot and that's it. I actually prefer just running the Front's with a phantom center. They sound better with the massive grills off, and thats where the fit/finish comes in. My wife gives them a 0 on WAF due to the grill off look. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my VTF3-MK3 though.

- Jon

The horn design on the center channel is definitely suspect. It does not have the wide dispersion design, driver is in way deep ...no wonder it has such a small sweet spot.

Compare to this

post #7 of 13 Old 02-02-2012, 08:39 AM

I had the Hsu speakers....I thought they were great little music speakers, but not really for critical listening. I didn't have the center, so I can't comment on the HT aspect.

I am now using the bargain Pioneer speakers (SP-BS-41) that Stereophile loves. They are great little speakers, a bit smoother than the Hsus. If I was looking for a bargain HT setup, I'd see if I could still find the Pioneer speakers in that line.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-02-2012, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

I love my HSU VTF-1 subwoofer which is why I was considering them for my other speakers, to have a common speaker system. But I would have to replace all of my speakers to be consistent since they are horns and I don't feel I need to make that much of investment to have great sounding system.

So I have decided to stick with the DefTechs and just replace the Carver Towers with the ProMonitor 1000's. Then my fronts, my center, and my side dipols will match and I'll keep the rear Polks for a little while longer.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-14-2012, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I own a pair of the HB-1's as well as the Center HC-1. The center might not be the best out their, but it sure was an improvement over my JBL Center. I have no complaints. I usually sit dead center so maybe I'll move around at other listening positions. My wife has never complained, but she doesn't really care either.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-04-2012, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
To those that may consider the HSU speakers I'd say please try them for 30 days and return them if not satisfied.

I bought a VTF3 MK4 yesterday and thought to take a quick look at their demo room and I was pleasantly surprised. I really don't know enough to do them justice by providing a technical observation but they were clear, had zero distortion at the levels I heard, go very low, and the soundstage was seemless (very clear moving from left, center, to the right). I was impressed by something that cost so little.

If your budget is about $1200 I'll bet you'd be hard pressed to beat them.

-Drew

Soon...pic of my measly setup
post #11 of 13 Old 05-04-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Should come out to some of the OC meets drew!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #12 of 13 Old 05-04-2012, 07:36 PM

Liked: 16
I love the hsu speakers. If you look at my home theater setup under my name,all three match. I have to put my two cents of words that they do sound clear and "loud". Right now i'm powering them with a 110 watt receiver and at -30 db volume it gets the job done for medium room. They don't sound bright at all or harsh,and there not like kplisch either.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-08-2012, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Meets? What meets LOL... I'm in,

Soon...pic of my measly setup
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page