Boston VS 260 or Paradigm Studio 20 v.5?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought an Onkyo 809 and love it. The thing has a lot more 'oomph' than my old Yamaha RX-V2200. I am now looking at upgrading my speakers. I have ALWAYS had Boston Acoustic speakers....VR20, VR965, Vr3 etc. I LOVE their sound. Unfortunately now that Tweeter has closed its doors I have no way to listen to the newer Boston speakers. I have heard a TON of great reviews about the new Boston VS260 speakers and can get them for relatively inexpensive online. I spent a lot of time listening to the Paradigm Studio 60 and 20's today. I can't afford the 60's but I really like the 20's and can afford them as I can get a pretty good deal on them. The thing is though.....I can get a pair of the VS 260's for half of what I would pay for the Studio 20's......but I never heard them......nor will I be able to as I live in Maine and there is NO dealer anywhere near me. I am VERY familiar with the Boston sound though. It would be for both HT and music. My room is carpeted and is only 13' x 13' with 8' ceilings.

Is there anybody out there who happened to hear both speakers and can give me their impression on what they heard? Would love to hear any and all input.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
My advice, don't buy speakers blind. Consider those you can audition. Studio 20s also need a sub.
post #3 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 370
I will not tell you what to buy - and I have not listened to the Studio 20.
I will tell you that the VS series, was designed to sell in speciality shops
like the Paradigm speakers, and not in places like Tweeter, Circuit City or,
Best Buy. Now they are discontinued and on close out pricing. For me, in
comparision to the VR series - The VS series are more detailed, with better
definition and depth. They also sound more rich and controlled, with better
imaging and soundstage presentation - this will stand out more in music,
than home theater. It is possible that the Studio 20 may be for you. I will
tell you that Vann's has a 15 day return policy, if you decide to check them
out. Good Luck with your new adventure.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #4 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the input! So you are familiar with the VS line! That's great! I so badly want to try another brand but I really think in the end I may be disappointed as there is just something about Boston's for me! I really liked the Studio 20's but I just was expecting a little bit more .....if that makes sense.

Did you find any similarities with the tweeter in the VR series and VS seires? Every Boston I own...including my VR920 center channel...has the Lynnfield aluminum dome tweeter. I LOVE the 920 and was hoping to still be able to use it should I get the VS 260's. Boston always said that they try to make all of their speaker lines have similar qualities so you can 'mix and match' within the lines.

If you are familiar with the VS 260's...is there a speaker stand that can fit them? Seems like an odd shape with the whole 'kickstand thing' going on in the back....

Thanks again!
post #5 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 06:39 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToHT View Post

Thanks a lot for the input! So you are familiar with the VS line! That's great! I so badly want to try another brand but I really think in the end I may be disappointed as there is just something about Boston's for me! I really liked the Studio 20's but I just was expecting a little bit more .....if that makes sense.

Did you find any similarities with the tweeter in the VR series and VS seires? Every Boston I own...including my VR920 center channel...has the Lynnfield aluminum dome tweeter. I LOVE the 920 and was hoping to still be able to use it should I get the VS 260's. Boston always said that they try to make all of their speaker lines have similar qualities so you can 'mix and match' within the lines.

If you are familiar with the VS 260's...is there a speaker stand that can fit them? Seems like an odd shape with the whole 'kickstand thing' going on in the back....

Thanks again!

thats what has been keeping me from these speakers. I just cant find a stand for them. I wish boston made some to go along with them.
post #6 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It is hard to find a stand for the Boston VS260 - I have my own
make shift stand. I guess the trick is to find something with an
adjustable top plate or have one built. The back foot of the 260
is stable.

The VS tweeter is more smooth than the VR tweeter, and the VS
tweeter has more definition. The VS series will not timbre match
the VR series. However as with most Boston speakers, it is not
lazy - and has a somewhat lively and robust sound.

More about the build
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/-VS-2...aker-P229.aspx

This will make a good front system, and will easily fill your room.
VS 260
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search
325C center
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

post #7 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 07:46 PM

Liked: 11
I have owned the VS260 and earlier versions of the Studio 20. For the price Vanns have the 260 on sale for right now, it's a no-brainer in my opinion. I have always been a fan of fabric domes vs. metal domes. They just seem more forgiving and easier to listen to. I'd go for the Boston and have zero regrets. Good luck!
post #8 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:

...is there a speaker stand that can fit them? Seems like an odd shape with the whole 'kickstand thing' going on in the back....

I have the vs260 on a 6" by 6" top plate and it works out for me. I use bumpons to grip the front and hook the back foot to the top plate. It's very stable with no issues.

picture...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...629871&page=74
post #9 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ster3ohead View Post

I have the vs260 on a 6" by 6" top plate and it works out for me. I use bumpons to grip the front and hook the back foot to the top plate. It's very stable with no issues.

picture...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...629871&page=74

Good Show!

post #10 of 20 Old 02-02-2012, 07:01 AM

I have the VS-260's as well and you will not be disappointed. If you like crystal clear speakers that do not add a bit of color then you will love the VS-260's. I don't think I have seen 1 person that was dissatisfied with these speakers. Every single one that gets them loves them. I got them to replace my Energy RC-10's and they blew me away.
post #11 of 20 Old 02-02-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Well.....I did it! I pulled the trigger on the VS260's. I know.......I shouldn't have bought speakers I couldn't try first but the reality is....I have had Bostons ALL OF MY LIFE......so I know their sound characteristics. I am VERY excited to get these. I am saving over $500 over a pair of Studio 20's also.....which is always nice too!!

Thanks a BILLION to ZieglJ and everybody else for all of the great information!! I will post my impressions once they get here!!
post #12 of 20 Old 02-02-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^
Good luck - and for the most part in this current age, I buy most
of my speakers blind.

post #13 of 20 Old 02-02-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Well.....I did it! I pulled the trigger on the VS260's. I know.......I shouldn't have bought speakers I couldn't try first but the reality is....I have had Bostons ALL OF MY LIFE......so I know their sound characteristics. I am VERY excited to get these. I am saving over $500 over a pair of Studio 20's also.....which is always nice too!!

Thanks a BILLION to ZieglJ and everybody else for all of the great information!! I will post my impressions once they get here!!

Come back and post your impressions. I am very interested on your thoughts on the Boston's.
post #14 of 20 Old 02-07-2012, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

So I just received my VS 260's today! My heart dropped when I saw a big hole in the top of the box....but after taking it out it was pristine. I was really not expecting how big they were until I took them out....they are pretty darn large!! But let me tell you....the piano black finish is BEAUTIFUL!! Very classy looking speaker. Much nicer looking then even the Studio 20 which I think is a GREAT looking bookshelf.

I haven't really put them through a good audition yet but so far I am VERY excited at how they sound! They have a very nice and detailed sound without sounding 'boring' if that makes sense. I have always been a fan of 'brighter' sounding speakers. Warm is nice and all but I really want to hear every string being plucked on the guitar....not just a lot of mid range. These speakers have the perfect amount of brightness without being 'bright'. The bass is very quick and tight sounding but I have not really turned them up too much....I want to break them in a bit before I put them through their paces! I am VERY happy with them so far! Now I need to figure out if I want to buy the VS325c to match the 260's. I have a VR920 center that I LOVE....to me that center and the older VR12 are the best centers that Boston has put out. I was never a fan of the VRMC, the VRC the VR920 or any of the CR series centers.....to me the center is the one speaker that Boston never seemed to perfect. Anybody with a VS325 that could share their thought on its performance would be GREATLY appreciated!!

For those of you who are worried about stands for them....read on:

I will say though that the design of them indeed makes it difficult to find a good stand. Going too small wont work and honestly....they would look silly on a smallish stand. What I decided to do a few days ago was to build my own stands. It is SUPER easy and so much cheeper. Plus I can make them to fit in my space exactly the way I want them to. I decided to build a 23" stand which puts the tweeter about ear level from my sitting position (reclined on the sofa!!) I do have access to a heck of a wood shop so that helped of course....but all you really need is a good drill and a table saw. Part of me is thinking about building a bunch of them and selling them.....it's a bit of a hobby....
I will post pics as soon as they are done and everything is set up.

Should anybody have any questions please let me know!
post #15 of 20 Old 02-07-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

Now I need to figure out if I want to buy the VS325c to match the 260's.

Can you accommodate another 260 in the center? Because that'd be the "match". The tweeter is so close to the woofer that it'd probably even work OK horizontally.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #16 of 20 Old 02-07-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I haven't really put them through a good audition yet but so far I am VERY excited at how they sound! They have a very nice and detailed sound without sounding 'boring' if that makes sense. I have always been a fan of 'brighter' sounding speakers. Warm is nice and all but I really want to hear every string being plucked on the guitar....not just a lot of mid range. These speakers have the perfect amount of brightness without being 'bright'. The bass is very quick and tight sounding but I have not really turned them up too much....I want to break them in a bit before I put them through their paces! I am VERY happy with them so far!

Well, the mystery continues - why do the Boston speakers sound good?
Let the mystery continue - for me, Boston did a real good job with the E
series, and the VS series. I am glad that you like them, I call your bright
robust, and not bright sound! Continue to enjoy - have fun!

post #17 of 20 Old 12-10-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
It is funny how these speakers were on a closeout at a time when I was not considering any speakers and now the handful that do go on the auction market are priced very high.

Does anyone have a sense of how they compare to something like the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 or 10.2?

Just another blank signature.
post #18 of 20 Old 12-10-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

It is funny how these speakers were on a closeout at a time when I was not considering any speakers and now the handful that do go on the auction market are priced very high.

Does anyone have a sense of how they compare to something like the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 or 10.2?

For me - a speaker that will come close to them other than the E60 speaker > is the Monitor Audio Silver RX1

post #19 of 20 Old 12-10-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

Well, I can say this...

I compared the Diamond 10.1 and Energy RC-10 and felt both did some things better than the other, but ultimately liked the RC-10 a little bit better...

I later compared the RC-10 to the NHT Three... and felt the Three was clearly better.

I later compared the NHT to the Boston VS260... and felt they were very close...both great speakers.
beaveav likes this.
post #20 of 20 Old 12-17-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I have been auditioning the NHT Classic Three and really like them a lot. I am very curious about the Boston VS-260 but I haven't found a price for a pair yet that would make any sense in light of the price I have for the Classic Three. The Classic 3 is an incredibly solid piece with excellent detail and solid sound overall which when integrated with a subwoofer sounds much to my liking. My brother has some Ascends and he will probably bring them over to compare. I picked up a pair of Music Hall Marimbas cheap on eBay and with the inexpensive build you would not think they would sound nearly as good as they do. They just image really well. I just perched them atop my PSBB Image 45s in my bedroom where the NHTs have been and was surprised by how well the image. I have not run the Elites calibration on them so the sub is kind of thumping out of whack to them. At first I thought the voices were a bit nasal but the imaging grabbed me and I think they are amazing for the $150 I paid for an absolutely pristine pair.. I will likely keep them and they will end up on my desk. But I could hang with them in the bedroom.. The PSB T45s really belong in my living rooms as the side surrounds. I have some of gen Pioneer towers in the living room now on a temporary basis until I decide on the bedroom speakers. The NHT are very nice but I am just thinking I might do better for the money somewhere.

There is a pair of VS-336 Towers on Amazon marketplace is for an insane $4k... Amazon itself has one of the matching subs for $2K... I guess all these people think someone out there will pay any price to match there existing setup. It seem really insane since Vann's or somebody sold a 5.1 kit with the towers, the matching sub, VS260s as surrounds for under $2K.... everyone points to original Suggested Retail Price but clearly this series was not commercially viable at SRP. If they were on clearance for half and more off they don't make sense above that price a couple years down the road. I have an inexpensive Boston sub that came in a bundle with a Denon AVR. It wasn't used hardly at all and failed but by the time I noticed it was out of the warranty. I guess this amp on the sub failed more often than not. Can you imagine spending the asking $2k for the VS sub and having it fail on you. It is funny someday Amazon will price that sub to near zero to reclaim the bin space.

Just another blank signature.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page