Aperion Speaker Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-04-2012, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Please go easy on me, I'm a total novice when it comes to quality speaker setup! I just purchased some Aperion 4Ts and Aperion Verus Forte Satellite Speakers. I have these hooked up to a Onkyo TX-NR709, and I'm trying to understand the frequency response setup for the speakers. The Onkyo goes from full band to 200Hz for each speaker. I'm looking at the manual for the speakers, and it provides a range for the Freq Response (for example, the Satellites go from (+/-3db) 80-20,000hz and (+/-6db) 72-22,000hz. What the heck would I set on the Onkyo? Go with the lower number?

Thanks for any help in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-05-2012, 11:32 AM

Liked: 22
Hey Pusta welcome to the Aperion family, I don't have answer to your question myself as I am also new to this. (it was so much easier years ago when all you did was plug in receiver, hook up speakers, add a cassette player, and if you were feeling fancy add a graphic equalizer.) But I have picked up a little in the forum. If I'm wrong someone will correct me but I would start with running towers at full, and satellites at around 80hz. You can go from there and play with settings til it sounds good to you. Try both at full, both at 80, move from 80 up to 100 or down to 60. Just keep playing in about 20hz increments until you get sound dialed in. If no one else chimes in I would say go to best source for Aperion speakers, the Gurus, they can be very helpful with all questions. Also check out Aperion University on the website and see if the answer is there. Happy listening.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
First of all, the biggest question we need to know is if you have a sub hooked up with them? What you are setting is the crossover level i.e. below what level for each channel is sent to the sub instead of to the speaker. Just because the manual states it goes that low, chances are, it does not. Run audyssey auto setup and it will give you a good starting point. But first we need a yes or no on the sub.

post #4 of 6 Old 02-05-2012, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the responses. I do have a sub hooked up, it's a SVS 10" powered sub. I left the default for the sub crossover on whatever Audyssey set. I'll have to look it up
post #5 of 6 Old 02-06-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pusta View Post

Hi all,

Please go easy on me, I'm a total novice when it comes to quality speaker setup! I just purchased some Aperion 4Ts and Aperion Verus Forte Satellite Speakers. I have these hooked up to a Onkyo TX-NR709, and I'm trying to understand the frequency response setup for the speakers. The Onkyo goes from full band to 200Hz for each speaker. I'm looking at the manual for the speakers, and it provides a range for the Freq Response (for example, the Satellites go from (+/-3db) 80-20,000hz and (+/-6db) 72-22,000hz. What the heck would I set on the Onkyo? Go with the lower number?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Hello there,

If you are using a sub I recommend crossing everything over at 80 Hz to get the smoothest blend between the sub and your other speakers.

However if after trying that you want a little more bass out of the 4Ts, you can drop their crossover to 60 Hz.

Just keep in mind if you do that you'll be creating a peak between 60 and 80 Hz since both the fronts and sub will be playing those frequencies.

I hope that helps!
post #6 of 6 Old 02-06-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

Hello there,

If you are using a sub I recommend crossing everything over at 80 Hz to get the smoothest blend between the sub and your other speakers.

However if after trying that you want a little more bass out of the 4Ts, you can drop their crossover to 60 Hz.

Just keep in mind if you do that you'll be creating a peak between 60 and 80 Hz since both the fronts and sub will be playing those frequencies.

I hope that helps!

There shouldn't be a peak if the crossover is doing its work properly.

For the surrounds, definitely keep the crossover at 80hz or maybe even 100hz.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page