Suggestions for building a 3.1 system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-05-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm looking to build a 3.0 or 3.1 sound system. A 5.1 system isn't feasible in the living room, because my wife's really particular on the decoration of the room. Because of this, the speakers must be really small as well. I've been a Klipsch fan for years now, and my whole house is outfitted with Klipsch speakers, so I'd like to stick to that trend.

Right now I'm thinking about getting 2 Klipsch Quintet bookshelf speakers, along with a Klipsch C-10 center speaker. The room these will go in is an average-sized living room, and it's mostly used for watching TV and movies. Are the speakers good choices for this type of usage?

Besides those three speakers, I need a receiver that'll power them, and maybe a smaller subwoofer. The reciever needs to be very small, as space in the cabinet is limited, but also has to be able to power those three speakers. The ability to be upgraded to 5.1 isn't important, because that'll probably never happen. I want as little as I can possibly get that'll sufficiently power the speakers. As for the subwoofer, it just needs to be small. I may not get the sub right away, but it's in the radar. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-05-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Max dimensions for receiver?
Max dimensions for speakers?
Max dimensions for subwoofer?
Budget?
Room size?
post #3 of 13 Old 02-05-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Max dimensions for receiver?
Max dimensions for speakers?
Max dimensions for subwoofer?
Budget?
Room size?

I don't have any maximum dimensions I can give you, as the smaller size is for aesthetic reasons, not for lack of space. I'd just like everything on the smaller side. The only place where space is an issue is the A/V receiver, but again there aren't any dimensions I can give you, just as small as possible. The room is just an average sized living room, not big, but not small either. Budget isn't an issue, I just want a good sounding system.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-05-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 781
NHT SuperZero monitors. They need a sub, so Outlaw Audio M8 or HSU STF-1 subwoofer. Just know that a small 8" sub won't be producing any room shaking bass.

Also, the NHT Absolute Zeros come in white. Maybe that would be WAF friendly?

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #5 of 13 Old 02-05-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Also, Marantz makes low profile receivers, the NR1402 and NR1602.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #6 of 13 Old 02-05-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:

I don't have any maximum dimensions ... I'd just like everything on the smaller side. ... Budget isn't an issue, I just want a good sounding system.

For receiver, +1 to the Marantz NR1402 / 1602.

For speakers, Paradigm Studio 20 (x 3).

For subwoofer:
- Paradigm UltraCube 12 (12" driver, dual 10" passive radiators, 650W RMS / 1950W dynamic, 19Hz @ -3dB, 15" (h) x 14" x 14"); or
- SVS SB12-NSD (12" driver, 400W RMS, 23Hz @ -3dB, 14.6" (h) x 14.2" x 14.2").
post #7 of 13 Old 02-05-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Also the Paradigm Millenia series.

post #8 of 13 Old 02-05-2012, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A small speaker may do a passable job of playing back a movie, but really, if you are going to invest money in a 3.1 system, put in real speakers. Did she also make you buy an uncomfortable couch because it looked pretty? A speakers job is to produce accurate sound, not be a piece of artwork. Buy what sounds good and get a new wife.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-05-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmaniac13 View Post

I don't have any maximum dimensions I can give you, as the smaller size is for aesthetic reasons, not for lack of space. I'd just like everything on the smaller side. The only place where space is an issue is the A/V receiver, but again there aren't any dimensions I can give you, just as small as possible. The room is just an average sized living room, not big, but not small either. Budget isn't an issue, I just want a good sounding system.

If aesthetics is an issue, get some speakers with real wood finishes.

http://salkaudio.com/

They make beautiful speakers that sound great.

Having music and movies sound good is also an aesthetic issue. Sound quality matters. It is at least as valid an aesthetic issue as appearances.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-05-2012, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

NHT SuperZero monitors. They need a sub, so Outlaw Audio M8 or HSU STF-1 subwoofer. Just know that a small 8" sub won't be producing any room shaking bass.

Also, the NHT Absolute Zeros come in white. Maybe that would be WAF friendly?

It doesn't have to shake the room, just a little low-end would be fantastic. Also, do you have any experience with the speakers you linked? How do they sound? I don't usually like buying speakers without listening to them myself, but I'd settle for a recommendation in this case. Also, I dig the receivers you linked. I love how small they are, but they still look fully functional. I'll most likely go with one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparr View Post

A small speaker may do a passable job of playing back a movie, but really, if you are going to invest money in a 3.1 system, put in real speakers. Did she also make you buy an uncomfortable couch because it looked pretty? A speakers job is to produce accurate sound, not be a piece of artwork. Buy what sounds good and get a new wife.

First of all, please don't insult my wife. She's a professional decorator, she can do whatever she wants to the house. The living room isn't for immersive watching, that's what the basement's for (believe me, I have my awesome system down there). The goal of the living room is to upgrade the speakers so they at least sound better than the crappy ones inside the TV. If I can get a clear, clean, undistorted sound, then that's all I need for that room.

Lastly, does anyone have any comments on the Klipsch speakers I mentioned in the first post? They've gotten good reviews from what I've read, but I'd still like to hear some comments about them. Thanks for all the help so far!
post #11 of 13 Old 02-05-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It doesn't have to shake the room, just a little low-end would be fantastic. Also, do you have any experience with the speakers you linked? How do they sound? I don't usually like buying speakers without listening to them myself, but I'd settle for a recommendation in this case. Also, I dig the receivers you linked. I love how small they are, but they still look fully functional. I'll most likely go with one of those.

I have heard some of the NHT Classic models, but not the SuperZeros. If those are the ones you are considering, if you research on the web, you'll find plenty of good reviews. NHT also has in-wall speakers, so maybe down the road you can persuade the wife to let you put some rears in.

As far as the sub, once you decide on the speakers, I would recommend reading this post and then asking for recommendations in the AVS subwoofer forum. Someone might be able to suggest subs that look very nice that might pass muster with the wife better.

post #12 of 13 Old 02-05-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:

Lastly, does anyone have any comments on the Klipsch speakers I mentioned in the first post? They've gotten good reviews from what I've read, but I'd still like to hear some comments about them. Thanks for all the help so far!

For me, they lack midrange detail, they are somewhat squeaky,
shouty and shrill sounding - however, you may like them.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #13 of 13 Old 04-18-2012, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

For me, they lack midrange detail, they are somewhat squeaky, shouty and shrill sounding - however, you may like them.

Hahahahha...this is hilarious on multiple levels.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page