Speaker advice gone wrong..... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-05-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Question - I've done some research and narrowed it down to 3 sets of speakers and all 3 can be heard locally.
Looking for opinions and advice on speakers A,B and C.

Poster 2 - Depending on room size, age and type of music you listen to, you might want to consider speaker D as it is horn loaded and very easy to drive.

Poster 3 - Don't buy speaker D as it is very bright, I've not heard them but everybody says they are, so it must be true. Please consider speaker E as I have owned them for 25 years and technology has not changed much.

Poster 4- I would suggest speaker F as sound wise it is a combination of A,B, and C.

Poster 5 - I would suggest speaker G as it blows all others away. I know its $20,000 over budget but consider it an investment.

Poster 6 - I would consider speaker H as speaker A is not good for HT and speaker B is not good for music and speaker C is not very good at all, so my friends tell me.

Poster 7 - Myself I would say go with speaker J as it is internet direct and you can literally save millions! And another plus is that they have done DBL tests at their own facilities against every speaker ever made and have blown away the competition every single time! By the way, please allow me to pm you so we can set you up an audition.

Poster 8 - I agree with poster 7 but I would stay away from that company and suggest speaker K also internet direct and has free shipping both ways if you are not happy, I do not own these but the reviews are good.

Poster 9 - My suggestion would be speaker L as I have owned speakers A through K in the last 6 months and speaker L blows them all away!

Poster 10 - If you really want the best sound, I would just use headphones.

Poster 11 - I agree with poster 10, but if you really want to feel the music, I would go with headphones in tandem with a subwoofer. But if you have questions regarding this, you will need to go to the headphone, subwoofer in tandem forum because we can't help you here.

Poster 12- If you really want the best sound, the only way to achieve that is to take a woodworking course for at least 2 years, and then build your own speakers.

Poster 13 - If you want to consider WAF and a small footprint, I would consider speaker M . I know it looks like a clock radio but 100% of their profits go back into marketing, err I mean R&D. Plus you get 2 credit card size remotes and you can find testimonials on the Home Shopping Network regarding its room filling sound.

Poster 14 - I would take all the above suggestions with a grain of salt, as people here tend to push their own speakers, I would suggest speaker R as I own them and they are better than anything mentioned here so far.

Poster 15 - If you really want the best value, I would suggest buying used. Generally that will void the warranty, but I saved a lot of money buying used, and they were great for the entire 2 months that they worked.

Poster 16 - I am offended that no one has suggested speaker T, they are out of business now but you can still find them used. They were forced out by lesser companies, who really couldn't compete.

Poster 17 - The original poster who was seeking advice has mysteriously disappeared, has anyone seen or heard from him? I was going to suggest speaker V as they just opened their doors this morning, and the reviews are excellent!

Poster 18 - Is this the subwoofer section??

Have a good day and enjoy the big game all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Har Har!

Poster 19 - .....and never, ever, no matter what even if the moon is in the Seventh House
and Jupiter aligns with Mars, even if someone forces ice picks in your ears or puts your head in a vice.....EVER buy Blose......or you'll get picked on relentlessly and maybe even go to speaker hell!

Thanks for this and enjoy the game as well.

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

Old 02-05-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 2225
what would a good choice of amp to power speaker L and will bi- wiring make it sound better
just hope its a good game and no blowout lol

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
Old 02-05-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
There's two minutes I'll never get back.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Funny. But you really need to build your own.

Lot's of low rent stuff stacked up into a medium rent pile.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
sooooooo, what speakers you ended up buying?
Old 02-05-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:

Speaker advice gone wrong.....

You should have just listened to me in the first place.

Nicely done - that summed up the craziness pretty well.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
I wonder if anyone has ever bought the very best speakers for him or herself. Too many choices, not enough time, not enough money, too much mis-information.

I think most people buy something and just learn to like them.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Welcome to AVS Forums!

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
Old 02-05-2012, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene c353 View Post

I wonder if anyone has ever bought the very best speakers for him or herself. Too many choices, not enough time, not enough money, too much mis-information.

I think most people buy something and just learn to like them.

I think in general if what you bought improves your listening experience, its the right speaker.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 203
One of my favorite is when someone asks "I am considering speaker Y and wondering if anyone has heard it" and the reply is "You should buy speaker X!"
#2. I have 1000 dollars to spend on a 5.1 system...reply...and someone recommends a 2000 dollar system.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Old 02-09-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Poster 20: Poster 1, we can't help you unless we know your budget, room dimensions, the floor plan to your house, the type of car you drive, the name of your first born son, your wife's bra size and your social security number.

Poster 21: none of those things matter, just get speaker Z as that works best in any room and blows away all of the aforementioned speakers. They only cost $20,000 per speaker. If that's out of budget, I suggest saving up to get them as they are totally worth it! Anything less is a complete waste of time and money.

Poster 22: I agree with Poster 21, but its obvious that the original poster simply can't afford speaker Z and thus he should just buy whatever Home Theater in a Box special they have at Sears and be thankful that he can put food on the table.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Poster 23: Put food on the table? R ur crazy? You have to get the best speakers and nothing beats brand ABCD. You need to sacrifice to get what you need in life
Old 02-09-2012, 02:08 PM

This is so true. When I first joined AVSforum I tried arguing with people who made suggestions like you're talking about. I had to realize that this was just how things are here, and that there is no way to get people to realize this. Ha.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:30 PM

Liked: 10
Not to hi-jack your thread, but I heard speaker (company) "B" is now owned by XXX, Inc. I question the quality of the current line offered, as compared to ones offered in the late 70's.

This thread gave me a laugh, thanks all...
Old 02-09-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

Poster 20: Poster 1, we can't help you unless we know your budget, room dimensions, the floor plan to your house, the type of car you drive, the name of your first born son, your wife's bra size and your social security number.

Poster 21: none of those things matter, just get speaker Z as that works best in any room and blows away all of the aforementioned speakers. They only cost $20,000 per speaker. If that's out of budget, I suggest saving up to get them as they are totally worth it! Anything less is a complete waste of time and money.

Poster 22: I agree with Poster 21, but its obvious that the original poster simply can't afford speaker Z and thus he should just buy whatever Home Theater in a Box special they have at Sears and be thankful that he can put food on the table.

lol...

poster#24:you're all crazy, speakers are subjective I don't know why you just don't get speaker Z

poster#25:speaker Z is a waste of my money, you need to get this speaker Y, it's not sold in store and the relative polarity of the cabinet bracing gives excellent bass in the frequency of the crossover tweeter. Trust me, I've been doing this since before my parents were born
Old 02-09-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 258
I don't care what you say; if it don't have a freaking 12-inch woofer you can't get down and boogie when we get over 200 people in the living room.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:59 PM

lol All sooo true.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I don't care what you say; if it don't have a freaking 12-inch woofer you can't get down and boogie when we get over 200 people in the living room.

amen to that
Old 02-09-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I heard it on youtube and it sounded like crap.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Old 02-09-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

I heard it on youtube and it sounded like crap.

lmao, this takes the cake
Old 02-09-2012, 04:59 PM

OP could've avoided all of this bull by buying a fancy power cord for what he has now.

HTPC always in progess...
things I've learned here:
"the sound of a power cord" is BS.
turn your center speaker 90 degrees.
avoid women who require WAF in a HT.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jproy13 View Post

lmao, this takes the cake

Well, I think it was because I was on my laptop. I need to listen to them on my desktop. It has a subwolfer.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Old 02-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

I LOVE this thread lol.

We ALL have opinions. What sounds better to us, what is a better value etc.

THATS IT! Were all different. If someone likes speaker x, and one speaker y, who cares! Let them like it and stop critiquing them and saying they must buy speaker z because nothing else is good.

I love how some of these guys on the forums can say people completely waste money on speakers. What you may find a terrible value, someone else may love!!

We call these people audiofools. Lots of em here. So many people using words that are completely irrelevant and make no sense to look intelligent. I get down to the point, not elude it with BS.

You'd be amazed at what a true blind test can do to people. A local audio place near me for years did blind tests. They'd take a cheap kenwood 20wpc amp and put it behind a board next to a mcintosh 351, or a nice mark levinson or something else high end. They then would trick people with what amps they were listening to, and guess what?! They couldn't tell the true differences, and would say the kenwood sounded better 1/2 the time.

Once they learned it was a trick, the audiofools would get mad and storm out saying "you tricked me!"

No fools, you trick yourself.

Yes, speakers make a world of difference over amplifiers, but people need to cool their narrow minded brand preferences. Anything big box or large branded is now deemed "overpriced" or "you can get speaker x" for the same price! Let people like what they like.

You see the same subwoofer brands all over here: Epik, svs, hsu, BIC, etc. Anything else is crap and you must sell it or else! That's the mentality. Not saying these aren't excellent, but theres a ton of great subs that everyone will like.

Speakers too. Klipsch are written off by audiophiles for being too bright, and too well known! I'm not a fan myself, but I don't think they're bad at all. Just different. You also see Salk, KEF, PSB, etc all repeating and many brands "you shouldn't even look at because it's junk".

Audiofools need to take a rest and get a life!
Old 02-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

And also LOL @ many members who say I have budget x and want this setup and it's completely unreasonable and never going to happen.

Also funny when audiofools refuse to recommend a setup within a budget and say there is nothing acceptable in that price range.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hi guys , it just popped into my head on Super Bowl Sunday to start this thread. I was hoping it would give a couple people a laugh. So in the end it was worth it. Some of your posts gave me a good laugh and some good points were made. Props to TVMAN.
For me we are all here really for the same reason, we all enjoy speakers.
Anyway, thanks guys, if you can think of more, post on!

P.S. I am still waiting for someone to say ..... I was just reading this thread and was wondering if you really can run a set of headphones in tandum with a subwoofer....lol..... knowing my luck, you actually can..haha!

Cheers!
Old 02-09-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Poster 26: i highly recommend speaker FCK. I recommended to quite a few and they were blown away by the performance. Best value under $999.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How do I hook my subwoofer up to my Bose Wave Radio?
Old 02-09-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Rofl
Old 02-09-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBiker View Post

How do I hook my subwoofer up to my Bose Wave Radio?

Do you have the titanium one or the cheap $1200 one?