Bookshelf suggestions $600-1000 range - Page 3 - AVS Forum
1  2  3
Speakers > Bookshelf suggestions $600-1000 range
zieglj01's Avatar zieglj01 09:16 PM 02-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

x2
Although I don't agree about radiating to the rear though, it is more so keeping away from the boundary. The main thing is to reduce early reflections.

I took a short cut in my discription. We want proper placemet
to reduce early reflections, because of the radiation pattern that
a good speaker can have. We want the speakers to have a chance
to present a good soundstage, with a sense of depth.

cschang's Avatar cschang 09:25 PM 02-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

I took a short cut in my discription. We want proper placemet
to reduce early reflections, because of the radiation pattern that
a good speaker can have. We want the speakers to have a chance
to present a good soundstage, with a sense of depth.

x2
Ster3ohead's Avatar Ster3ohead 01:24 AM 02-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post

I will only have about seven or eight inches clearance from the back of the speaker, to the wall. I don't know if this would cause issues with a ported design, versus a sealed.

I sometimes use my vs260 in a secondary system that involves placing it exactly 8" away from the wall on top of an ikea expedit shelf. The imaging gets blurred a little bit but it still sounds great. I even get a little bass boost to boot .

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

I can listen to the VS260 all day long - no ear fatigue. I am not judging
the details from any type of treble rise.

Same here. Although if I feed it compressed or poorly recorded music the vs260 isn't afraid to remind me.

I find the vs260's overall sound to be smooth and detailed while having a healthy amount of liveliness. FWIW I get a more relaxing listening experience with the vs260 compared to the Ascend cbm-170se and Jamo c603, both of which I have previously briefly owned. It even makes my modified s30 sound a bit grainy in direct comparison.

I highly recommend the vs260. You should also check out Salk's SongSurrounds 1 (aka ca0w1) which can be customized to be front-ported.
Dave_I's Avatar Dave_I 08:12 AM 02-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ster3ohead View Post

I find the vs260's overall sound to be smooth and detailed while having a healthy amount of liveliness. FWIW I get a more relaxing listening experience with the vs260 compared to the Ascend cbm-170se and Jamo c603, both of which I have previously briefly owned. It even make my modified s30 sound a bit grainy.

I highly recommend the vs260.

Question (which may or may not pertain to the OP [hey, I'm trying!]). If he (or I) use VS 260's as my L/R with a VS 325C as the center, what would be ideal for the surrounds? Given the pricing (Vann's has the 260's significantly cheaper that the 240's), would four VS 260's for L/R & surrounds with one VS 325 in the center for a 5.1 setup be the way to go, or is something else a better option?

-Cheers
zieglj01's Avatar zieglj01 08:57 AM 02-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_I View Post

Question (which may or may not pertain to the OP [hey, I'm trying!]), if he (or, in this case, I) use VS 260's as my L/R with a VS 325C as the center, what would be ideal for the surrounds? Given the pricing (Vann's has the 240's cheaper), would four VS 260's for a 5.1 setup be the way to go, or something else?

-Cheers

Another set of the VS260 can work good for surrounds - right now
the VS240 price is crazy. The E60 is from their former high-end line
and is a little bit smaller, than the VS260 - it will not timbre match.
However it will come close for movies, and will work well as surrounds.
http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acousti.../dp/B001H9O1CG
1  2  3

Up
Mobile  Desktop