Recommendation needed - with my specs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 02-07-2012, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
PeterB123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I need to get my surround left and right speakers for my HT. I would like to keep the budget under $600 for the pair, but could possibly wiggle out a little more. I'd also be open to shuffling speakers around.

Specs on HT.

My room is approximately 10' x 17' with 9' ceiling, with the screen on the 10' wall. There are 4 recliners in a 2 by 2 configuration. I don't have any acoustical treatments, and the floor is carpeted. With the exception of my subs, all the speakers are mounted near the ceiling. There are no windows or openings of any sort; just blank walls that will evenually have movie posters.

My receiver is a Yamaha RX-867. Unfortunately, my speakers are a mish-mosh (due to various reasons). The center channel is a Cerwin Vega XLS 6C. The front left and right are Klipsch RB-61 ii's. The rear surrounds are B&W 685's. The 2 subs (on front and one back) are 12" Velodynes (don't know the model off hand - can only say they have the servos). I have an Auro Pro Bass Shaker in each recliner pushed by a Kenwood receiver.

The player is a Dune Smart B1.

The room is used ONLY for movies of various genres, no television, video games or music.

I know that the hodge-podge of speakers I have now make it more difficult, but any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
PeterB123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 02-07-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,209
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Your front 3 speakers need replacing. Until you do that it is a waste of money to add more channels. More speakers do not make better sound; better speakers make better sound.

You need 3 front speakers that are better-sounding and well-matched to each either. The B & W speakers are OK where they are. The rest are...not what you want....

I suggest the Monitor Audio Bronze BX-1 speakers and the Bronze BX Center. They will run you about $650, and will work nicely together (and also match well with the B & W speakers).

Your system will sound a whole lot better if you get them; you will have much better-sounding speakers, and all 5 of them will be a compatible system instead of a mish-mash.

Later on you can add a pair of the Monitor Audio M1 speakers for $200 to complete the system.

Maybe you can get a few bucks back by selling the 3 old speakers.





Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB123 View Post

I need to get my surround left and right speakers for my HT. I would like to keep the budget under $600 for the pair, but could possibly wiggle out a little more. I'd also be open to shuffling speakers around.

Specs on HT.

My room is approximately 10' x 17' with 9' ceiling, with the screen on the 10' wall. There are 4 recliners in a 2 by 2 configuration. I don't have any acoustical treatments, and the floor is carpeted. With the exception of my subs, all the speakers are mounted near the ceiling. There are no windows or openings of any sort; just blank walls that will evenually have movie posters.

My receiver is a Yamaha RX-867. Unfortunately, my speakers are a mish-mosh (due to various reasons). The center channel is a Cerwin Vega XLS 6C. The front left and right are Klipsch RB-61 ii's. The rear surrounds are B&W 685's.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

commsysman is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 02-07-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 307
About the only change I would make would be to add a Klipsch RC52 or 62 to replace your current center- that is of course if you like how the RB61s sound.

Other than that I would leave it alone if you are otherwise satisfied with the bass.

Gene

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Kini62 is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 02-07-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,332
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

About the only change I would make would be to add a Klipsch RC52 or 62 to replace your current center- that is of course if you like how the RB61s sound.

Other than that I would leave it alone if you are otherwise satisfied with the bass.

Gene

X2
Get the Klipsch center, if you like the Klipsch - that will make a difference.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
post #5 of 17 Old 02-07-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,236
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

About the only change I would make would be to add a Klipsch RC52 or 62 to replace your current center- that is of course if you like how the RB61s sound.

Other than that I would leave it alone if you are otherwise satisfied with the bass.

Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

X2
Get the Klipsch center, if you like the Klipsch - that will make a difference.

x3 that is the cheapest, smartest and easiest solution.

Or you could get the B&W 600 series center move them up front and the Klipsch's to surrounds. What ever your ears perfer
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 02-07-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
PeterB123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I actually do like the sound of the Klipsch fronts, and I can't find a place locally to listen to the MA's.

So, for arguement sake, let's say I get a Klipsch center to replace the CV. If that were the case, what would be good for the surround left and right (I'd be keeping the Klipsch fronts and B&W rears)?

By no means have I eliminated the MA idea, or other suggestions (since I could move the centers and front to the game room), so I'm still open to suggestions outside of Klipsch with the possiblity of changing the front three.

Thank you for the input so far.
PeterB123 is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 02-07-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,236
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB123 View Post

I actually do like the sound of the Klipsch fronts, and I can't find a place locally to listen to the MA's.

So, for arguement sake, let's say I get a Klipsch center to replace the CV. If that were the case, what would be good for the surround left and right (I'd be keeping the Klipsch fronts and B&W rears)?

By no means have I eliminated the MA idea, or other suggestions (since I could move the centers and front to the game room), so I'm still open to suggestions outside of Klipsch with the possiblity of changing the front three.

Thank you for the input so far.

Surrounds especially for movies have limited content so there is no real absolute need to match surrounds. While it is perferable honestly it really doesn't matter as much as matching the front 3 speakers

If you like the Klipsch replace the center. If you are holding onto the CerwinVega you can always use that as a rear surround to make your system 6.1
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 02-07-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sivadselim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 16,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB123 View Post

I need to get my surround left and right speakers for my HT.

.......my speakers are a mish-mosh (due to various reasons). The center channel is a Cerwin Vega XLS 6C. The front left and right are Klipsch RB-61 ii's. The rear surrounds are B&W 685's.

Just for clarification, are you currently using the 685s for your (side) surrounds? If not, what have you been using for your (side) surrounds?

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
sivadselim is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 02-07-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
PeterB123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Just for clarification, are you currently using the 685s for your (side) surrounds? If not, what have you been using for your (side) surrounds?

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, the 685's are currently the sides. I was planning to move them to the rears (due strictly to reading a thread from a person with a complete B&W (minus sub) setup who said the 685's sounded great as rears).
PeterB123 is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 02-07-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sivadselim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 16,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB123 View Post

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, the 685's are currently the sides. I was planning to move them to the rears (due strictly to reading a thread from a person with a complete B&W (minus sub) setup who said the 685's sounded great as rears).

I see. So, I'm curious. Which did you own first, the 685s or the RB-61s? And I suppose you prefer the RB-61s over the 685s as your front R/L? Why?

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
sivadselim is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 02-07-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,332
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB123 View Post

So, for arguement sake, let's say I get a Klipsch center to replace the CV. If that were the case, what would be good for the surround left and right (I'd be keeping the Klipsch fronts and B&W rears)?

By no means have I eliminated the MA idea, or other suggestions (since I could move the centers and front to the game room), so I'm still open to suggestions outside of Klipsch with the possiblity of changing the front three.

If your budget is staying at $600 - then not a lot of options. If you stay with Klipsch up front,
then go to Ebay and look for some B&W surrounds, to put to the sides or rear. And maybe,
find a Klipsch center there also. Or, turn it around and do something with B&W up front.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
post #12 of 17 Old 02-07-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sivadselim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 16,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Can you accommodate a 3rd RB-61, vertically, in the center?

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
sivadselim is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 02-07-2012, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
PeterB123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had the Klipsch speakers first, bought on recomendation from my brother who is a Klipsch fan and whose speakers I liked. A friend of mine was transferred overseas and sold me the barely used B&W's for half what he paid and gave me the center channel. I've had the Velodyne FSX-12's for quite a long time.

I listened to them both blind (had my brother switch between them as I kept my eyes shut). The reason the Klipsch are up front is because when I listened to them, they seemed to have a stronger higher frequency response. I thought those would sound better in an HT scenario and decided the B&W's would either be the middle or backs. Then I read someone (with a high post count, lol) saying he used them as his rears and thought, ok, that's what I'll do.

Obviously, none of my decisions have been very scientific.

Trust me, if I had my HT to do all over again, different decisions would have been made on several fronts. I didn't even know about AVSForum until after my room construction was over.
PeterB123 is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 02-07-2012, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
PeterB123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Can you accommodate a 3rd RB-61, vertically, in the center?

Yes. However, I'd have to change the mounting bracket and fill some holes.

And I know this sounds completely retarded, but if I did that, I'd get sick of people asking, "Why didn't you get a real center channel for your HT?" (remember, I labeled my reasoning as retarded).
PeterB123 is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 02-07-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
PeterB123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

If your budget is staying at $600 - then not a lot of options. If you stay with Klipsch up front,
then go to Ebay and look for some B&W surrounds, to put to the sides or rear. And maybe,
find a Klipsch center there also. Or, turn it around and do something with B&W up front.

$600 would be for the sides or rear (depending upon where current speakers went) now, but in a couple of more months, I could allocate another $400 for center channel replacement.
PeterB123 is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 02-07-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,236
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB123 View Post

$600 would be for the sides or rear (depending upon where current speakers went) now, but in a couple of more months, I could allocate another $400 for center channel replacement.

For a $1,000
You can pick up the matching center for your Klipsch RB-61's, the RC-62ii or you might be able to save some money and get the RC-62 the previous generation though I am not sure of the differences between the two

For surrounds you can go with the Klipsch Rb-51's
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 02-07-2012, 09:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sivadselim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 16,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB123 View Post

........if I did that, I'd get sick of people asking, "Why didn't you get a real center channel for your HT?".

Who cares what other people think? That'd be the best center speaker match for your fronts. Mount it upside down if you have to mount it above the TV.

It seems the RB-61s are the preferred speakers of your "mish-mosh", so I guess Klipsch speakers would have to be the answer to what you should use for side surrounds; as opposed to another pair of B&Ws. I wouldn't add another speaker brand to the mix! You need to move toward some unification.

But, assuming the RB-61s are your preference, sell the 685s (should be easy), the CV center (if you can), and get 3 more RB-61s, now, for 5 matched channels. You'll forget about wanting rears. And your friends won't ask you a thing. Except "could you make us some more popcorn?".

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
sivadselim is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off