Energy CR-10 surrounds, should I go for it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-08-2012, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Right now the Energy CR-10 surround speakers are on sale for $188 after shipping from Electronics Expo. I currently have the CC10 for center and CB10's for fronts. I was planning on getting some tower fronts before looking at surrounds, but is this deal too good to pass up? I also have never heard these speakers either; should I just be patient?

EDIT: grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-09-2012, 12:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Some people like bipole/dipole speakers better; others prefer using something like your CB-10s as surround. It's also partially dependent on placement options as to which will work better. But I would think you would get more benefit upgrading your fronts to the CB-20 or a pair of CF towers.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #3 of 5 Old 02-09-2012, 07:15 AM

Liked: 17
I think the first thing you should look at is your room. Will bipole/dipole speakers work there? If so, then what are your listening habits? If you mostly watch movies, then they would be a good fit. If you listen to a lot of multichannel music, then I think a speaker like the CB-10 would work better as surrounds. If you decide that a speaker like the CR-10 will work for you, I say jump on that deal because that's a good price for those.

Regarding your future plansif you are looking to upgrade your front L and R to a CF tower, I would recommend saving until you can afford the CF-70. I've owned most of the CB/CC/CF speakers, including the CF-30 and CF-70 and the CF-70 is a far superior speaker (of course it costs a lot more too) and to me, the difference in sound quality is worth the extra price. My only caveat with that is you should look to get the CF-70s when they go on salethey have been had for as little as $200/speaker within this past year. Energy has bumped their MSRP up, so the best price I've seen in the past 6 months on them was $275/speaker, which is still a good price IMO. I would not pay the standard $500+/speaker asking price for them.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-09-2012, 11:20 AM

Liked: 10
I'm having the same dilema. I have the energy cc 10 center, CB 20 front R & L and CB 10 sides. Was thinking of going to 7.1 and wanted to see if the CR 10 was the way to go for the sides. Well just called Electronic Expo and they gave them to me for $178 shipped. So I hit the button. If I don't like them I have 14 days to return. Good luck with your decision. Figured I'd share since the price dropped again.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-09-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I have a pair of CR-10s as my surrounds in a 7.1 heights setup and love them. My couch is right up against the back wall so the way they're designed (angled down) really helps. If any of your guys' rooms are that way, you might be pleased as well. They do a good job "disappearing"

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:http://www.tempestaudio.blogspot.com  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

Reply Speakers