Receiver (more power) or Sub? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 02-09-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey everyone, i came here about 6 months ago in search of a music solution for my bedroom. The thread is here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1363270 .

After the recommendation of a couple members, i decided on a 20w T-amp and a couple Yamaha 3-way bookshelf speakers (http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-6490...8829511&sr=8-1) That i was very satisfied with.

I listen to music almost everyday through this set up and even used them for a small party.

Now that I've gotten a little bit more into music and the whole audio scene (setting up audio in the car in a couple months) I think i may be looking for a little more from my setup.

Again price is of course a little tight but I'm thinkimg i may either want to add a sub to the setup or possibly a cheaper receiver since these speakers are rated at 70W RMS and I also have a 26" vision hdtv in my room. I'm thinking the receiver would be a better choice as it would pair up my electronics better, although a nice subwoofer would certainly add a new aspect to my music, which is usually relatively bass heavy. (some hip hop, dubstep, rock)

Btw just as a little aside, recently bought a pair of the Koss Portapro headphones, and if you are looking for a nice little portable pair of headphones (fold into a bag about 3.5"x 4.5") for $40 they can not be beaten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-09-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Budget your willing to spend?
post #3 of 18 Old 02-09-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

About to get told i need more...but around $100-$200 although of course in my case, less is more. haha although i probably cant get an HD reciever in my range.
post #4 of 18 Old 02-09-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big6Willy9 View Post

About to get told i need more...but around $100-$200 although of course in my case, less is more. haha although i probably cant get an HD reciever in my range.

Well the Pioneer VSX-521 has DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD.

So does the Sony STR-DH520 You can read a review of it here.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-09-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
What devices would you be connecting to this new receiver?

The reason I ask is if all your devices are not HDMI be prepared to do some extra wiring to the TV. Neither one of these receivers can convert other video sources to HDMI.

Afro GT
post #6 of 18 Old 02-09-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
If all you are listening to is stereo music, then an AVR isn't going help you much, except for more power. Adding a sub will allow more of the lower frequencies to be heard. Just make sure that you get one that has high-level inputs and low-frequency filtered outputs.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-09-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Well the Pioneer VSX-521 has DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD.

So does the Sony STR-DH520 You can read a review of it here.

Thanks ill take a look at these, they seem reasonably priced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

What devices would you be connecting to this new receiver?

The reason I ask is if all your devices are not HDMI be prepared to do some extra wiring to the TV. Neither one of these receivers can convert other video sources to HDMI.

Well my tv is HDMI but my xbox is component for HD which could be a problem.

EDIT: it appears this http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH520-...JO/ref=lh_ni_t supports component.....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBiker View Post

If all you are listening to is stereo music, then an AVR isn't going help you much, except for more power. Adding a sub will allow more of the lower frequencies to be heard. Just make sure that you get one that has high-level inputs and low-frequency filtered outputs.

I would have my xbox 360, vizio hdtv, and my speakers hooked up to the AV receiver.
post #8 of 18 Old 02-09-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

\\Well my tv is HDMI but my xbox is component for HD which could be a problem.

EDIT: it appears this http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH520-...JO/ref=lh_ni_t supports component.....?

I would have my xbox 360, vizio hdtv, and my speakers hooked up to the AV receiver.

Well how do you have your xbox hooked up to your TV.

The cheap receivers though unfortunately only output HDMI video from the HDMI sources in so you need to use component cables out to TV is you have component cables going in
post #9 of 18 Old 02-09-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 636
If you like hip hop and dubstep, then a sub will make a big difference. Not so much for most rock.

Where do you live? Maybe we can find a used receiver and a sub on Craigslist within your $200 budget?

If we can find you a receiver with Dolby Digital and HDMI, then later you can upgrade that Xbox 360 to a PS3 which can play blu-ray, decode DTS-HD & Dolby TrueHD, and output it in a usable format to older receivers via HDMI.

post #10 of 18 Old 02-09-2012, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

I listen to mostly hip hop and dubstep yes.

I think I'm leaning more towards the sub actually especially since in less then 2 years ill be going to college.

I see what you're saying about the receiver and hdmi so that elimiates one of the main benefits of a receiver.

The only thing is I feel as though it may be tough to find a musicallly oriented sub in my price range although i bet you guys can help me out
post #11 of 18 Old 02-10-2012, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I'm leaning more towards the sub actually especially since in less then 2 years ill be going to college.

I see what you're saying about the receiver and hdmi so that elimiates one of the main benefits of a receiver.

The only thing is I feel as though it may be tough to find a musicallly oriented sub in my price range although i bet you guys can help me out

Honest for your budget something like a Bic v1020-k would do ok
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...e=UTF8&index=0

The Polk psw505 is another great musical subwoofer unfortunately it's not on sale right now and probably won't be for awhile so it's out of your price range

But I think the subwoofer route might be better for now
post #12 of 18 Old 02-10-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

In addition to the V1020 crazyrob425 mentioned, check out the budget sub list. You can see which ones are in your price range, and then research about them and ask questions in the AVS subwoofer forum. If you are patient and follow the AVS subwoofer forum, some weeks some really good deals on budget subs pop up.

post #13 of 18 Old 02-10-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

...then later you can upgrade that Xbox 360 to a PS3 which can play blu-ray, decode DTS-HD & Dolby TrueHD, and output it in a usable format to older receivers via HDMI.

that's like telling a Chevy guy to buy a Ford
post #14 of 18 Old 02-10-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:

I like the Energy S10.3, since it's discounted by quite a bit. Look for it in the newegg site, I think they're at 249 right now.
post #15 of 18 Old 02-10-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproy13 View Post

that's like telling a Chevy guy to buy a Ford

LOL

Yeah, I know. But not everyone who owns a Chevy is a diehard Chevy guy, and vice versa

post #16 of 18 Old 02-10-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Took a look at the bic and that seems to be almost exactly what I'm looking for, but before I get too far, I'm using a 2 channel t-amp to power my speakers, and i know the sub has its own power but where would the input come from since I'm using both channels on the amp and there is no rca pre amp output. Sorry if there is an obvious answer and I'm being stupid

Edit: thinking it passes through the sub first then goes to the speakers?
post #17 of 18 Old 02-10-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Took a look at the bic and that seems to be almost exactly what I'm looking for, but before I get too far, I'm using a 2 channel t-amp to power my speakers, and i know the sub has its own power but where would the input come from since I'm using both channels on the amp and there is no rca pre amp output. Sorry if there is an obvious answer and I'm being stupid

Edit: thinking it passes through the sub first then goes to the speakers?

Speaker wire would go from the T-amp to the Subwoofer Plate Amps "From Receiver" speaker level inputs. Then you would run speaker wire from plate amp "To Speakers" speaker output to the speakers.

Thats is why I recommended that subwoofer as it will work with your T-amp easily
post #18 of 18 Old 02-10-2012, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot very good suggestion . So at this point I'm thinking I'm pretty much sold on that bic sub as it fits my price range perfectly, appears to be very good quality for the price and will work seamlessly with my current set up
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page