Mirage OMD Series Rarely Mentioned - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-09-2012, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There are countless threads offering speaker recommendations for a given price, given size room, etc. Some really fine speakers routinely come up for discussion but, aside for dedicated Mirage threads, Mirage is almost never mentioned as an option. So, what am I missing. Is the omnipolar technology to foreign or is it simply not any good? I was seriously considering OMD-15s for R/L, OMDC1 for center, and OMD-5s or NanoSats for surrounds. My sense is few in the speaker forum would consider this a good choice.

13.5x25x8 room, 2 walls Sheetrock covered frame, 1 uncovered brick, 1 Sheetrock covered block. Floor is carpet over slab. Minimal free access to other rooms (doors normally closed).

AVR Onkyo's NR-709

Sub not yet determined but looking at Outlaw LFM-1 Plus or Hsu VTF-2 Mk-4.

Price range to match the above setup (speakers ~ $1,000, sub ~ $600, I currently have NanoSats which could serve as surrounds for the time being.

Your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-09-2012, 08:31 PM

I am using the OMD-15's for the fronts, the C1 center and OMD-5's for the two surrounds and I like them very much (a Hsu VTF-2 Mk 3 is the .1 in the system). The C1 center is by far the best center channel that I've tried - dialog is crystal clear. They are all very nicely timbre-matched as well.

That said, I've been reading about the Sierra Towers and am getting afflicted with grass is greener disease. I will sit there listening to my system and think, wow, this really sounds great. But when I start reading about other speakers then I start wondering just how much better could they sound?

Anyway, I think the OMD line is great in all respects. I do feel a subwoofer is needed, though (not sure about the OMD-28's, but for the 15's, yes).
post #3 of 4 Old 02-10-2012, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input, nice to know you're happy with what I think is my choice.

My real question; however, is not addressed to satisfied Mirage users but, rather, to the Speaker Guru's who make thoughtful recommendations on this board, including the likes of PHB, NHT, KEF, Def Tech, etc. These are all fine speakers and the Guru's all offer good advice but Mirage almost never comes up as an option in their discussions. Hence, I wanted to know if the Inteligencia feel they are, in some way, sub par?
post #4 of 4 Old 02-10-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Well Mirage is no more, so it's hard to recommend speakers that are soon to disappear. I've had mirage since the os3s, then moved to omd15s. I almost pulled the trigger on the 28s but simply couldn't justify it since vanns were having them produced for an unknown amount of time. By the time I priced a pair on omd28s and matching c2 center, I'm in big boy territory like paradigm. So I finally left mirage behind. I still recommend omd5s for surround speaker duty and even use them in my system. Audiovox has pretty much killed all the brands they have gobbled up and sadly, mirage will be no more.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page