Are My Speakers Too Old for Todays HT Equip? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-12-2012, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've had two experiences with my newly upgraded 7.1 Home Theater that is making me question either the ability of my speakers or my pre-amp settings. When watching two different blu ray movies on my Oppo BP93 I have heard loud popping (like lightening strikes) come out of my mains and surrounds. It scared the bejesus out of me!

My speakers are all NHT: Mains VT-2's; Center VS-2's; surrounds and back surrounds iC4's. All are vintage from the 1990's except for the iC4's.

The two movies were Thor and Star Trek.

The scenes in Thor were when Thor and company were transported to the Iceplanet, and again when Thor was sent to Earth. during this movie my volume was at -4 and I got the loud popping - like lightening strike sounds from the mains and the surrounds. At this time all of my speaker level settings were at 0, and cross-overs 80 for mains and center, 40 for all four surrounds. I freaked after the pops when Thor was sent to Earth, I was so afraid I blew my mains. Stupid me, this just might have been just too loud at -4. This was the first time watching a movie after having the Oppo, two amps and new pre-pro all connected.

In Star Trek (Circa 2011) it was early in the movie when when the first Enterprise was being destroyed. The volume was set at -18. During this viewing my speaker level settings were: Mains 0 and Center 0, and 1.5 for all surrounds. My mains have 10 inch side-firing subs that go down to 25 hertz, and they were set at -2.5.

My processor is a Marantz AV7005. The speakers are driven by a Wyred4Sound Mini MC-7, 221 watts per channel, class D amp. The mains (nominal impedence 6 ohms) are bi-amped with the W4S, each upper VT-2 and each sub get 221 WPC. The center and surrounds are driven by the W4S at 221 WPC. The rear surrounds driven by a 125 WPC Parasound HCA100A.

One of the reasons I upgraded from a receiver to separates was because NHT told me "You can't really even hear what the VT-2's can do unless you have at least 200 WPC..."

We'll, now I have more than 200 WPC - and they do sound much better, except in these two situations as described above.

I am a novice at this hobby. So I wonder do I have my sub levels too high? Am I playing the system too loud in general. I love my speakers but, do I need more "modern" speakers in order to watch any movie with any LFE's?

I would appreciate thoughts and advice.

ELITE PRO-60X5FD calibrated by AVICAL; Marantz AV7005; WYRED4SOUND MINI MC7; OPPO BP-93; SVS SB13-Ultra Sub;
NHT VT-2 mains; ThreeC center channel; four in-ceiling NHT IC4's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-12-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The speakers should be fine. It sounds like you have some capacitors that are failing. I would suspect the AVR. It really is hard to tell with out eliminating each unit. do you know someone that you could swap AVRs with or a short time?
post #3 of 14 Old 02-12-2012, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Are you bitstreaming or playing uncompressed linear pcm? Sometimes processors don't play well with some of the HD formats and and "bomb" causing the speakers to go into a wild transient. Best to stay in LPCM mode.
post #4 of 14 Old 02-12-2012, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
If you are running your speakers on large those bass intensive movies will easily overdrive them. Those 10" subs in your NHT's aren't much for those types of movies. My sub is a DTS-10 and both of those movies really give it a good workout so I can just imagine what it's doing to your little 10" ers. What are your AVR crossover settings?

Miker Biker may be right as well, when caps start to fail this is a common symptom. What the caps do is store up power, and then use it when the amp calls for a big burst of power(bass scenes). If they are failing, then all that will happen is there will be not enough power when it is called for and the amp will clip which results in that popping noise.

But if the noise is happening in all channels my guess is that it's your AVR settings.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #5 of 14 Old 02-12-2012, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

Are you bitstreaming or playing uncompressed linear pcm? Sometimes processors don't play well with some of the HD formats and and "bomb" causing the speakers to go into a wild transient. Best to stay in LPCM mode.

I doubt it, the BD player and processor are very new. Most of these types of issues have been ironed out but it may be worth a try.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #6 of 14 Old 02-13-2012, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBiker View Post

The speakers should be fine.

Not necessarily.

While mains and surrounds may begin their roll-off at 40 and 25 Hz respectively they don't have the displacement to do so at any appreciable volume.

The VT-2s are also ported speakers which will see their excursion rise to what the driver would do in free air once you feed them signals below the port tune.

Some drivers are limited by their soft parts. Some drivers run their voice coil formers into the back plates which makes scary cracking noises that can lead to permanent damage.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-13-2012, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Guys thanks for your responses. The W4S 7-channel amp, AV 7005 processor and OPPO BP93 are all new. The only "old" items are the Parasound 2-channel amp for the back surrounds, and the NHT VT-2's and VS-2 Center. I'd be shocked if the caps were going bad on the W4S.

I have to call my installer about the OPPO, to see if it;s set to PCM - the RCI remote system defeats the BD player controller so I can't get into the set up menu.

Bottom line, this sucks. I guess I should not haven taken the advice about needing more wattage at face value. I wanted my next upgrade to be the flat screen not new speakers, looks like I need to rethink this now.

ELITE PRO-60X5FD calibrated by AVICAL; Marantz AV7005; WYRED4SOUND MINI MC7; OPPO BP-93; SVS SB13-Ultra Sub;
post #8 of 14 Old 09-15-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Update. I spoke with NHT and they said check if Audyssey Dynamic or EQ is "on", and if so, turn it "off". This setting is akin to a "loudness" setting to enhance low volume viewing. Sure enough it was on.

Now I think the problem is solved. I just played the beginning of STAR TREK where Kirk's dies as the ship explodes- no loud popping sounds. I had it at -16. The last time this popping occurred it was set to -18. If the issue doesn't appear during THOR, then it's all good. Much less boominess on DTV as well.

post #9 of 14 Old 09-15-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Great! Glad you fixed it. And not surprising. There have been some who have had similar problems with Audyssey Dynamic EQ over driving their subs once turned up to a loud volume.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #10 of 14 Old 09-15-2012, 11:06 PM

Liked: 10
I would still look to see if your crossover points are set correctly in the receiver. I could be wrong but I bet the receiver has them set to low. Can you report what they are set to ?
post #11 of 14 Old 09-16-2012, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Yesterday I watched SUPER 8 at -6. I did not expect that train crash. Oh my God it was loud, but I didn't hear any distortion. Great movie too, I'll be buying it.

post #12 of 14 Old 09-16-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760rapta View Post

I am a novice at this hobby. So I wonder do I have my sub levels too high? Am I playing the system too loud in general. I love my speakers but, do I need more "modern" speakers in order to watch any movie with any LFE's?

I hadn't read up on the NHT VT-2s until just now. If you are ever up by Anaheim, take a visit to HSU Research. Listen to one of their VTF-15H subs. One of those to handle crossed over with your speakers to the very low frequencies (say 60hz or 40hz and below) would take your setup to the next level for bass heavy scenes such as in Super 8. Your two built in 10" subs can't compete with the output of a monster like the VTF-15H. Then you can also let it handle the LFE channel, which would take some pressure off both the amp and those speakers to produce the HT specific bass effects.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #13 of 14 Old 09-17-2012, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

I've been thinking along the same lines as you. What is your feeling on 1 sub such as the HSU VTF-15H or SVS SB13-ULTRA (room that is 1920 cubic feet fully carpeted, large leather sectional and open back), or 2 smaller good quality subs from either company? I keep reading a lot of people suggesting to get 2 subs vs 1. There seem to be good arguments on both sides.

post #14 of 14 Old 09-17-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That's always a tough choice over whether to go with two or one. But your room sounds small enough that dual SVS PB12-NSD subs (same price as the SB-13 Ultra) would certainly have the necessary SPL. So the choice should center more on low frequency extension, SQ of the sub, and whether or not you want the benefit if a more even bass response throughout the room. But on the other hand, if you go with the one bigger sub like the VTF-15H, you could always add a second later on. smile.gif

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page