Creating a modest home sound like a Phoenix where Sears is the only speaker outlet - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 50 Old 02-18-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 258
I have the NHT B12D sub with my PSB Image T6 speakers and it works great. NHT makes very good products. An 8-inch sub seems small to me, but it depends on how big the room is and how low you expect it to go.

I would think that the 8-inch is really underpowered though; the B10D would be a lot better, with 3 times the power and a larger driver. Try to get it if you can.

Mine will do the very lowest organ notes...even lower than it is rated to go, so their specs are conservative.

One really neat thing about the NHT subs is that they are sealed, rather than ported, which makes them more linear and limits distortion. It also makes them smaller. The B12D is the smallest 12-inch sub I could find, which was critical for my space limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidoug View Post

Just checked out the NHT 8" subs. They look great. Does anyone out there have these? I am now anxiously awaiting my Phoenix. I am tapped out for now, not just financially but I haven't shopped so hard in my life. A very high learning curve and am motivated to learn more. I have actually been looking for a business to start here. This island needs a stereo store of some sort. Apparently Maui does not have a BB so don't know about a stereo place there. Even if it was custom made stuff. I would have happily listened to some home grown speakers. I digress but thanks for all the help and will be back to let u all know how similar our taste r!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 03-06-2012, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With a lot of problems from UPS on my Denons 2112(tracking showed it on island but UPS couldn't find it in their "container" for 3 days). That order was through EE where i got the sweet price at $430 PLUS shipping of $120. When I told EE about my UPS they made an adjustment of $60 credit. I am one to complain but UPS took enough of my time already.
Meanwhile my FREE shipping from Crutchfield arrived 3 days after placing the order!

I am set up with a lot of head scratching. I love my NHT superzeroes 2.0 and my Sony Sub sw- 2500 seems to do just fine in my 10x13 room with heav carpeting and drapes.
Since I don't have a way to compare anything here on Kauai I am happy and happy I am happy. Figure that since I did spend roughly $500 on the Denons and following the speakers should be twice as much I have about $700 to play with down the road. I am at 2.1 so have the central speaker and the 2 surround to purchase or use the NHT's for surround and get something a little bigger for the front, when the time comes. I think I drove a couple posters crazy at the Denons xx12 thread.
Do think I will get a surge protector as I have the system plugged into an old power strip. Some said some 100$ or more for a gizmo and some said just get a 20$ protector from Radio Shack. joules rating? what's that all about? Any recommends on that?
As one of the posters here to my thread said the NHT's disappear and its true. Really like them. Crisp clean and don't sound small at all,relatively speaking.
post #33 of 50 Old 03-06-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:

With a lot of problems from UPS on my Denons 2112(tracking showed it on island but UPS couldn't find it in their "container" for 3 days). That order was through EE where i got the sweet price at $430 PLUS shipping of $120. When I told EE about my UPS they made an adjustment of $60 credit. I am one to complain but UPS took enough of my time already.
Meanwhile my FREE shipping from Crutchfield arrived 3 days after placing the order!

I am set up with a lot of head scratching. I love my NHT superzeroes 2.0 and my Sony Sub sw- 2500 seems to do just fine in my 10x13 room with heav carpeting and drapes.
Since I don't have a way to compare anything here on Kauai I am happy and happy I am happy. Figure that since I did spend roughly $500 on the Denons and following the speakers should be twice as much I have about $700 to play with down the road. I am at 2.1 so have the central speaker and the 2 surround to purchase or use the NHT's for surround and get something a little bigger for the front, when the time comes. I think I drove a couple posters crazy at the Denons xx12 thread.
Do think I will get a surge protector as I have the system plugged into an old power strip. Some said some 100$ or more for a gizmo and some said just get a 20$ protector from Radio Shack. joules rating? what's that all about? Any recommends on that?
As one of the posters here to my thread said the NHT's disappear and its true. Really like them. Crisp clean and don't sound small at all,relatively speaking.

Thanks for the update. Your AVR has enough power to upgrade within the NHT line, although the other models use a totally different tweeter so voicing will probably not be the same. Of course that doesn't matter as much if you move the Super Zeros to surrounds.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #34 of 50 Old 03-06-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

If you want to make the most of the path you've chosen, you should round up another hundred and get a pair of NHT Classic 3's, and then further down the road you can add the Classic 2 center.
post #35 of 50 Old 03-07-2012, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

If you want to make the most of the path you've chosen, you should round up another hundred and get a pair of NHT Classic 3's, and then further down the road you can add the Classic 2 center.

?? The Classic 3's r $400 each. That would be another $600. Am I missing a deal somewhere?
post #36 of 50 Old 03-07-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

^^ What kind of difference does the different tweeter make? can u point me to a good place to read up on this? In simple lay language, preferably. I am lost in the crossover,what that means and what the difference is between 73hz and 78hz range. Mahalo
post #37 of 50 Old 03-07-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

?? The Classic 3's r $400 each. That would be another $600. Am I missing a deal somewhere?

You said you have $700 to play with, I'm suggesting you make it $800 and buy the Classic 3's now, and then further down the line worry about adding a center.

If you dont want to invest that much, just buy some more superzeros and call it a day.
post #38 of 50 Old 03-14-2012, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You said you have $700 to play with, I'm suggesting you make it $800 and buy the Classic 3's now, and then further down the line worry about adding a center.

If you dont want to invest that much, just buy some more superzeros and call it a day.

Wanting to continue with the NHT series how do I get the best deal?

Should I talk to NHT and apply for their online deals?
Go to different online sellers like Crutchfield and get on their deals for NHT?
Is the "wishlist" for this type of shopping?
Do NHT's go on sale?

I guess I should have just asked how, where and when can I get a good deal? Willing to wait, in fact I need to wait so time is usually a valuable commodity when it comes to purchases.

Staying dry on Kauai
post #39 of 50 Old 03-15-2012, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Pulled the trigger , got the Three's(2) direct from NHT, John Johnson sales, shipped here for $700. Exactly my budget. Thank you all so much, it has been fun. Will forgo the center for now. always something, right? My wad is shot .
post #40 of 50 Old 03-15-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pulled the trigger , got the Three's(2) direct from NHT, John Johnson sales, shipped here for $700. Exactly my budget. Thank you all so much, it has been fun. Will forgo the center for now. always something, right? My wad is shot .

Very nice! You're going to love those 3's
post #41 of 50 Old 03-22-2012, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Very nice! You're going to love those 3's

Got my Three's 4 days ago. Unpacked and they r very handsome slick pieces of audio equipment. They compliment my 42" Pana perfectly in the looks dept. So on that they rate very happy.
Hooked em up as the fronts, no center , then the superzeroes for rear plus my 10" Sony sub. Did all the Audyssey stuff with my Denon 2112, played with that, then the coaxial on my TV so I can watch American Idol. Once I discovered the music, cinema, rock arena settings I was thrilled.
AI was fun but then I played "TorchWood". Great soundtrack. That was when I heard what I think You guys mean by the stage. With just the TV on for light it was like there were no speakers and the instruments and special effects were just there on a stage in my living room. I had to play and point the speakers for a couple of nights to get just the right balance.
THAT'S what I was wanting to achieve. It was very satisfying. Thank you people for the help. The Three's sound fantastic, and I have really only just begun. I would highly recommend these speakers.
post #42 of 50 Old 06-07-2012, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Done as told and got the center 2 and it all sounds good. I am set.
post #43 of 50 Old 07-01-2012, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Now on to a decent sub.
I have been so satisfied with my NHT's and service that I want, no , must have the NHT B-12d. Want to hear and feel those T Rexes thundering in Jurassic Park(filmed just up the road from me). Will I be getting a similar quality as say the Hsu or SVS. I just don't see much about the b12d's in that forum.
post #44 of 50 Old 07-07-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Now I am torn between the NHT 12d and SVS SB12-NSD but regardless of which new subwoofer I get would it make sense to hook up my Sony SAW2500 and have 2 subs? I know the Sony is way down on the food chain but I have read where 2 is better than one?
post #45 of 50 Old 07-07-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidoug View Post

Now I am torn between the NHT 12d and SVS SB12-NSD but regardless of which new subwoofer I get would it make sense to hook up my Sony SAW2500 and have 2 subs? I know the Sony is way down on the food chain but I have read where 2 is better than one?

I would get the SVS. As far as incorporating two subs, two subs are preferred, but ideally you want two subs with similar specs. Otherwise the weaker sub could easily distort and bottom out trying to keep up.
post #46 of 50 Old 07-08-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I would get the SVS. As far as incorporating two subs, two subs are preferred, but ideally you want two subs with similar specs. Otherwise the weaker sub could easily distort and bottom out trying to keep up.

Agreed. The Sony is not going to keep up with the SVS. Also, the SVS should have much better SQ than the Sony. No sense in reducing the SQ of the bass output even at lower volumes where the Sony can keep up. I'm sure as soon as you hook up the SVS and hear how good it sounds, you'll immediately see how moot your question was biggrin.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #47 of 50 Old 07-25-2012, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

Due to shipping and upgrade in finish on the SVS 12 it was going to be a difference in price of almost $200 between it and the NHT 12d.. Waiting for NHT to arrrive anyday now. very anxious. So what should my crossover be with the superzeroes as rear surround , Classic 3's as front and 2 center? Hopefully You guys that have NHT's can chime in. I have a Denon 2112 so will do Audyssey crawl once again.
Any fav movies out there for subwoofer blowout? I know there is a thread for that.
post #48 of 50 Old 08-04-2012, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

NHT 12d arrived today to complete my System. Just plugged it in and made initial adjustments on AVR and WOW. Sonice, my phoenix has arrived. I feel for the first time like I'm kind of at the movies. haven't really turned it up , yet.

Have crossover at 80, need to figure out how to adjust the speakers on my Denon 2112.. I've done it before just don't remember how. All part of the tweeking process. Should I set them at 100? Someone had recommended that I believe. Listening to Fellowship of the Ring . Played it 2 or three time with smaller sub but with this 12d whole different thing. Cool. Haven't gotten to music yet .

As for the sub itself, lookswise, it's a 10!! Beautiful NHT piano like finish. Not too big, doesn't way a ton. Sleek and speaks for itself but only when spoken to.

All u guys that steered me to NHT , job well done.
Mahalo
post #49 of 50 Old 08-04-2012, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Plug your receivers mic in and run audyssey to auto calibrate the phase integration with your speakers (this will be the distance setting), you can then adjust the db value if it is set to low or high.
post #50 of 50 Old 08-04-2012, 10:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

Plug your receivers mic in and run audyssey to auto calibrate the phase integration with your speakers (this will be the distance setting), you can then adjust the db value if it is set to low or high.

+1

AVS member batpig's guide on Denon receivers and Audyssey can help.

Congrats on the good sub smile.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page