Best pair of towers $1000-$1500 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 118 Old 02-19-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I would like to throw my vote to the Monitor 9's as well. I've had mine for 12+ years and they are still going strong. For 3K you can get a lot. Have you looked at Dynaudio as well? The Excite series is on par with the Paradigm Monitor series I believe.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 118 Old 02-19-2012, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShmooNYC View Post

I recently went through a similar search and ended up settling on the B&W 683s ($1500/pr retail). Love them

What were the other contenders?

I'm currently demo-ing 683's. (Van Morrison sez hi).

Last week it was PSB Image T6.

Both are very appealing. The B&Ws at times seem too laid back, but are more forgiving of non-optimal recordings. At lower listening levels, they are kinda bland, even though the imaging is pretty good.

The PSBs could get a touch boomy at times, but only on stuff that was already bass-heavy (Bob Marley, I'm looking at you). From what I can remember, the T6 low-level listening was better than 683's.

I really have a hard time deciding.
post #33 of 118 Old 02-19-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 295
SongTower

http://www.salksound.com/

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos play:1 for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos play 1 surrounds.
post #34 of 118 Old 02-20-2012, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 1308
for what its worth if i had $3k to spend on a pair of towers i would definitly look at the tekton pendragons starting at $2500.you pretty much get a full range from lower 20hz- 30khz speaker so you really don't need a sub."imo" a great bang for the buck

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #35 of 118 Old 02-20-2012, 05:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

Dennis is based in the DC area, so one option would be to contact him and see if you could arrange for a demo there.

^ This. Dennis is the speaker designer, so what better place to audition them than in his home (besides your own home, of course)? Give him a shout.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #36 of 118 Old 03-08-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 398
I have been looking for a few weeks now and I am getting ready to make a purchase in the next week or so. I would like to thank Nuance and JimZ for their advice, but still would like to get a few more opinions on a few others I have been peeking at!

Here's what I am looking at!
Swan D2.1se monitors
Swan Diva 4.2
Swan Diva 6.1
ARX A3's
Monitor Audio silver RX6
PSB T'5's or T6's
Salk Songtowers (On the back back burner)

I really like the ARX A3's, but they only come in black. I really like the appearance of the Swan Diva 6.1's, they would go over very well with the wife, however looks are not the factor hear! Does anyone have any input on any of these speakers? Thanks again

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

post #37 of 118 Old 03-08-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I have been looking for a few weeks now and I am getting ready to make a purchase in the next week or so. I would like to thank Nuance and JimZ for their advice, but still would like to get a few more opinions on a few others I have been peeking at!

Here's what I am looking at!
Swan D2.1se monitors
Swan Diva 4.2
Swan Diva 6.1
ARX A3's
Monitor Audio silver RX6
PSB T'5's or T6's
Salk Songtowers (On the back back burner)

I really like the ARX A3's, but they only come in black. I really like the appearance of the Swan Diva 6.1's, they would go over very well with the wife, however looks are not the factor hear! Does anyone have any input on any of these speakers? Thanks again

I've heard all but the ARX's. In fact, the first time I heard the SongTower's was under blind conditions with a couple friends at Craig Chase's home, and one of the other speakers in the blind test was the Swan Diva 6.1's. When I recommended the SongTower's earlier in the thread it is simply because it's the best speaker I've heard within that price range (and quite a bit above it). If you're interested in a more thorough comparison you can read here or PM me.

post #38 of 118 Old 03-08-2012, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

I've heard all but the ARX's. In fact, the first time I heard the SongTower's was under blind conditions with a couple friends at Craig Chase's home, and one of the other speakers in the blind test was the Swan Diva 6.1's. When I recommended the SongTower's earlier in the thread it is simply because it's the best speaker I've heard within that price range (and quite a bit above it). If you're interested in a more thorough comparison you can read here or PM me.

I am cutting my budget back a bit, I would love the song towers and they are not out of the question down the road. I am going to be be adding another Outlaw LFM-1 EX sub and I am going to need a center channel for the new set up. The wife is requesting new granite counter tops! That just defeated my high end speaker budget I will surly be PMing you later!

My System

post #39 of 118 Old 03-08-2012, 03:35 PM

Liked: 13
Try the Totem Sttaf which retail for around $2K. They are worth every penny. The sound quality is just amazing and they look incredibly beautiful with the mahogany wood finish. Go to their website to see them.
post #40 of 118 Old 03-08-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Before I decided on Salk SongTowers and then Philharmonics the Totem Sttaf was my pick. Just south of Dynaudio they were the most true sounding HT speakers for music I had heard. I was ready to buy before I found Nuance's journey thread and began having ribbon tweeter dreams.

post #41 of 118 Old 03-08-2012, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamptons View Post

Try the Totem Sttaf which retail for around $2K. They are worth every penny. The sound quality is just amazing and they look incredibly beautiful with the mahogany wood finish. Go to their website to see them.

I will take a peek! Thank you

My System

post #42 of 118 Old 03-08-2012, 04:17 PM

I see you've raised your purchase limit. If so then you really, really, really need to check out the reviews coming back on the new Sierra Tower from Ascend. They go for 1900.00 but I'm about ready to sell off everything I can to purchase a pair of these. I just got the Sierra NrT bookshelves back in October and if these new towers are that much better than the original Sierras
post #43 of 118 Old 03-08-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Before I decided on Salk SongTowers and then Philharmonics the Totem Sttaf was my pick. Just south of Dynaudio they were the most true sounding HT speakers for music I had heard. I was ready to buy before I found Nuance's journey thread and began having ribbon tweeter dreams.

The totems are pretty awesome, for what it's worth. I wouldn't be trading a pair of ST's or Philharmonic's for them, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCATUCCI View Post

I see you've raised your purchase limit.
If so then you really, really, really need to check out the reviews coming back on the new Sierra Tower from Ascend. They go for 1900.00 but I'm about ready to sell off everything I can to purchase a pair of these. I just got the Sierra NrT bookshelves back in October and if these new towers are that much better than the original Sierras

He just said he lowered his budget... Regardless, I've heard the Sierra Towers too - also another great pair of speakers for $2000. I'll get to directly compare the SongTower's and Sierra Tower's on April 14th, along with the Philharmonic 2's, although I've already compared the ST's and Sierra Towers at a past GTG. It's going to be a fun get together!

post #44 of 118 Old 03-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

Goldenear Triton III

http://www.goldenear.com/products/triton-towers

These are $1000....each. SO the total would be $2000 for a pair.
post #45 of 118 Old 03-08-2012, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12

http://www.lockwaresystems.com/SwanT700F-258.html

Wonderful sounding pair of speakers. I have the swan T900's and love every bit about them, and given the reputation of the drivers in the DIY world, you're in for a treat. Very unique look too haha.

Give paul a call for an accurate price.

Please tell me what happened in this night.
It's like the cat inside the box.

You don't know if the cat in the box is dead or alive.

The cat in the box was dead.
post #46 of 118 Old 03-08-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 1308
do yourself a favor and do some research in some ID speaker companies before you decide.i'm not trying say you should buy them but it will expand your knowledge on different drivers like full range drivers and ribbons and the sound they can give instead of your basic tweeters and woofers. imo you can get great bang for your dollar with ID speaker companies like zu audio, decware and tekton designs they have speakers in all price ranges using top quality drivers and can be custom made for your liking. zu audio has unheard of 60 day in home trial and the others 30 day.these speakers have a different sound but in a very good way. its hard to explain without listening to them but i think its because their drivers do not use crossovers. i own a pair of speakers with fullrange driver with no crossover and i'll never go back to the traditional tweeter/ woofer again. just my 2 cents

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #47 of 118 Old 03-08-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:

I am cutting my budget back a bit, I would love the song towers and they are not out of the question down the road. The wife is requesting new granite counter tops! That just defeated my high end speaker budget

That is part of life, and I will respect your budget - Good Luck!

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #48 of 118 Old 03-08-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearchan View Post

Philharmonic 1

Agree with this idea! Any thing that Dennis, or Jim put there time into is worth the money!

EMP tek 5.1 theater setup, Marantz SR6006, Oppo BDP-95
Salk Songtowers, Emotiva XPA-2, ERC-1.  

This is a horrible hobby!!  My wallet hates me, takes up to much space, neighbors want me to move, but man my house sounds amazing!  

post #49 of 118 Old 03-09-2012, 01:13 AM

If you need a floorstanding pair with solid bass then pls go for Wharfedale Diamond 10.6/10.7, really good sound vs price. It looks quite better than most other standing speakers.
post #50 of 118 Old 03-09-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearchan View Post

Philharmonic 1

Quote:

While it is $100 more then the requirements, I'd suspect it's worth every penny. Good recommendation!

Quote:

Thanks for all the recommendations so far! I will take a deep look at all suggested! I am very interested in the Paradigm monitor 9, the T6 and also the Focal and Philharmonic 1. The Philharmonic looks very interesting and I bet from the design that it has incredible highs and midrange, exactly what I am looking for. The Goldenear is more than I am looking for at the moment, but certainly looks like a nice speaker and I am for sure it sounds amazing!

Quote:

I think that would seal the deal for me if I was buying in this price range.

I've heard a lot of speakers, and all of the ones recommended here in this thread. For close to $1500 a used pair of Salk SongTowers or new pair of Philharmonic 1's would be untouchable in my opinion.

Kef and Vandersteen also make a good speaker in that range.

+1

The Philharmonic performs far beyond its pricepoint.

post #51 of 118 Old 03-11-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Again, thanks for all the replies. In the running are! The Philharmonic 1, Monitor Audio Silver RX6 and the Swan Diva 6.1 or 6.2. I found a dealer that sells the RX6 an hour away, but he is closed on Sunday! The only day I can get there right! I was going to go today and listen. Any thoughts on the Klipsh Reference Rw-82 II? They were mentioned earlier in the tread.

My System

post #52 of 118 Old 03-11-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 295
philharmonic 1 best choice so far

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos play:1 for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos play 1 surrounds.
post #53 of 118 Old 03-11-2012, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

philharmonic 1 best choice so far

Unfortunately, they just came off my list!

My System

post #54 of 118 Old 03-11-2012, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxcuongvn View Post

If you need a floorstanding pair with solid bass then pls go for Wharfedale Diamond 10.6/10.7, really good sound vs price. It looks quite better than most other standing speakers.

I am curious to know if Wharfedale is related to Monitor Audio? The Wharfedale VR-300 is very similar to the Silver RX6!

My System

post #55 of 118 Old 03-11-2012, 05:18 PM

KEF Q900s get (and got when i was buying) my vote.
post #56 of 118 Old 03-11-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately, they just came off my list!

How come ? I thought you were liking the Philly's, and if you were to go listen, I would like to travel there too as I would like to demo this speaker, I am in the far south NJ as well , maybe we can get together for a road trip.
post #57 of 118 Old 03-11-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawzalot View Post

How come ? I thought you were liking the Philly's, and if you were to go listen, I would like to travel there too as I would like to demo this speaker, I am in the far south NJ as well , maybe we can get together for a road trip.

Hey Neighbor. The Phils come in black and I would prefer a wood veneer. I could upgrade them, but now I am in the range of the Salk songtowers which I originally wanted, now I would have to compare the two. I am going nuts over this!!!

If I ever do a road trip, maybe hit the ferry and head over to the Dover area. Tax free and maybe a few high end dealers in those parts. As you know, nothing down here in the Cape!

My System

post #58 of 118 Old 03-11-2012, 05:44 PM

I always had an interest in the Kefs and thought they measured up quite nicely to other suggestions here but there is absolutely no where to demo close by. I like the reviews in regards to the Ascends and the in home trial period helps out greatly as that would probably be the only chance at a demo of these, Cape May is kewl but just a bit out of the way, of everything .

*Except fresh fish and scallops
post #59 of 118 Old 03-11-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:

I always had an interest in the Kefs and thought they measured up quite nicely to other suggestions here but there is absolutely no where to demo close by. I like the reviews in regards to the Ascends and the in home trial period helps out greatly as that would probably be the only chance at a demo of these, Cape May is kewl but just a bit out of the way, of everything .

i found myself that it was a bit hard to find them and similar speakers for demo as well.. its an odd price range.. the 'high end' boutique type stores would have other more expensive brands (focal b&w etc) and box stores would carry kefs entry line or the smaller Q500 or 700s, or things like polk audio/jbl that are obviously quite a bit cheaper.. 1500-2000 dollars is an odd price range around here at least people wanna spend 1/2 or double.

finally had a demo session with them vs the smaller Q700s and right away knew they were the ones i liked best.
post #60 of 118 Old 03-11-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have told a few people on here that I basically have to rely on good reviews, since there are basically zero audio stores here, unless you consider Sound Advise a dealer. They are mostly TV's anyway. Any decent dealer is two hours plus away.

I was going to take a ride to Wilmington today and go check out the Hifi House, but the weather turned out to be so nice I winded up walking the mall and the boardwalk with the Mrs and the dogs. Almost time for the shoobies to show up

My System

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page