Splicing RG6 subwoofer cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-17-2012, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi!

I moved all my equipment downstairs and ran all new wires for the speakers. I went from 16awg(?) to 12 awg. The subwoofer already had RG6 run through the wall and to a faceplate. I was unable to replace this section of wire because of spray foam and heater vents, so I just used a RG6 barrel connector on the one piece and extended the cable to the receiver. There was probably about 6' of rg6 already there, and about 20' of what I added. I also used compression connections at the ends of the cable I ran.

After all this, I re-ran the Audyssey setup (twice), and everything is working. The problem I am running into is that it does not seem like there's the same amount of bass after the setup, and Audyssey is saying the sw is 22'...which I read is not really the distance, but because of the circuitry, it is based on time than distance. I also checked the crossover points and raised them a little to 80hz, instead of 70hz.

In any case, should an extension like I did affect the performance of the subwoofer? Should I replace the entire length with a single run?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-17-2012, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Argh... Can a mod please move this to the subwoofer forum? Sorry, just saw the sticky....

thanks
post #3 of 5 Old 02-17-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The length of the cable will not affect the bass output from the sub or affect what Audyssey measures. The change is bass sound is due to the different room that the sound system is now in. Try moving the sub to a different location in the room and see if that improves the sound, or move your listening position.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-17-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I did take out a tv stand that all the equipment was on. I'll try moving the speaker a little and redo it.

Thanks!
post #5 of 5 Old 02-17-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 69
As pointed out, doing what you did should be fine. Even if there was some signal loss (and there isn't), Audyssey would compensate by setting your subwoofer's level "higher". And, yes, it is important to leave the sub's distance setting where Audyssey sets it.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page