Active speaker idle power consumption - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-18-2012, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I have a Marantz NR1602 receiver hooked up to the Kanto iPair 5 over RCA. These are active speakers that don't have an automatic standby mode (and when turned off seem to lose their previous setting) so I leave them on at all times. However, I'm a bit uneducated as to the correct way to set volume in my gear.

I have the speakers currently set at default volume (50%) and use the receiver volume control. Most of the time it sits at -30-25dB but with some quiet films needs to be cranked up to -5-0dB.

Putting the speakers to max volume allows me to run the amp at lower volumes and I would imagine that's probably a good thing. The speakers seem to reach a higher volume without distortion this way. So the question is - are my speakers going to suffer from idling at max volume, or is it fine to leave them like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-18-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 258
When they are idling (no signal from the receiver), the power usage will be the same no matter how you set the volume on anything. It should be very small.

For normal operation, I would set the gain of the speakers as low as you can, perhaps 25%, because the receiver will be sending a larger signal to them then, and that will improve the signal-to-noise ratio of the cables and the whole system. The only way that could cause a problem is if the signal peaks overload the input circuit of the speaker's amplifier, which is very unlikely (but possible).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akael View Post

Hi, I have a Marantz NR1602 receiver hooked up to the Kanto iPair 5 over RCA. These are active speakers that don't have an automatic standby mode (and when turned off seem to lose their previous setting) so I leave them on at all times. However, I'm a bit uneducated as to the correct way to set volume in my gear.

I have the speakers currently set at default volume (50%) and use the receiver volume control. Most of the time it sits at -30-25dB but with some quiet films needs to be cranked up to -5-0dB.

Putting the speakers to max volume allows me to run the amp at lower volumes and I would imagine that's probably a good thing. The speakers seem to reach a higher volume without distortion this way. So the question is - are my speakers going to suffer from idling at max volume, or is it fine to leave them like that?

post #3 of 7 Old 02-18-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. At 25% speaker volume I need to set the receiver volume almost to maximum for some films - is that acceptable or will that cause issues in the receiver components? With the speakers connected via RCA, does this use the amplifier in the receiver in the same way as if they were passive and connected through normal speaker cables? Just concerned I may end up pushing the receiver a bit hard. Cheers!
post #4 of 7 Old 02-20-2012, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Bumping for clarification
post #5 of 7 Old 02-20-2012, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Horse Hockey. You can turn the gain up all the way. The protection circuitry in the speakers should protect them. If you start to hear audible distortion or noise when no signal is coming from the receiver, then turn the gain down until you don't hear it any more.

I leave the gain on my EP-4000 up all the way all the time and I don't hear a thing(except for the fan that is).

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
post #6 of 7 Old 02-20-2012, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. So cranking the speakers and keeping a lower volume in the receiver would be your suggestion?
post #7 of 7 Old 02-20-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Yup.

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10