AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

KR, you going Adam playah?

I have a pair of the Classic Columns now.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 140 Old 04-16-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Tomorrow might work. Roger and others were in NYC for a couple of days this weekend.

Thanks for the heads up. You are indeed correct, heard from Roger today. Are you reviewing the active or passive version?

John

"What happens in Vegas..."
post #63 of 140 Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Order placed, should have them by the end of the week...

John

post #64 of 140 Old 04-16-2012, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I have a pair of the Classic Columns now.

Looking forward to reading this one.............
post #65 of 140 Old 04-17-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Columns are a great sounding product. Let's see if KR and I agree in say 90- 120 days when his reviewbhits the magazine.

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #66 of 140 Old 04-17-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

GTCs available? I thought the vendor making some key parts was having financial issues [ NOT ADAM ].

1200 bucks "direct"?

MY comment above was regards to Adam in-walls which are still on hold.

Mike Miles

post #67 of 140 Old 04-17-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiconllc View Post

Hi All, Just stumbled across this thread and decided to write a quick note. We are ADAM-Audio dealers located in Miami Florida. We have a working showroom showcasing a 5.1 system that consists of a pair Tensor Gamma for right and left, a Tensor Center as center (of course) and a pair of Tensor Epsilons for surrounds. Currently we are using a REL Britania B2 for a sub. We regularly get different products in for customer demonstration as needed and as long as we get enough time to request the demos from ADAM. Feel free to contact us 305-479-2679 if you have any questions.

Great demo from Maxicon today! I wish I had a budget that allowed the Adam Audio Tensors! They had the GTC 88s. Very impressive sound.

Thanks Maxicon!
post #68 of 140 Old 04-17-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anybody "in the loop" know what the room size and electronics were in the Home Theater review of the GTCs in Dec.?

Mike Miles

post #69 of 140 Old 04-17-2012, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuttle View Post

Great demo from Maxicon today! I wish I had a budget that allowed the Adam Audio Tensors! They had the GTC 88s. Very impressive sound.

Thanks Maxicon!

Don't we all..........from what I've heard/read, the Adam Tensor line is phenomenal!!

Did you get a chance to have a listen to the GTC 88's? Can they handle the required SPL for a dedicated theater.......ie. dynamics, with no compression at higher levels? Is sensitivity 90 db/1 watt/meter or is it 90db/2.83v/meter at 4 ohms--not clear on Adam's website. Worried hitting reference on peaks might be an issue............
post #70 of 140 Old 04-17-2012, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Fremer uses a Marantz AV7005 Pre/pro and matching mulichannel amp for HT reviews:

"I drove them with a Parasound Halo A 51 five-channel amplifier that outputs 400 watts RMS per channel (into 4 ohms, all channels driven), with fantastic results. Other associated equipment included my Marantz AV7005 surround processor, Panasonic DMP-BD210 Blu-ray player, and Sony SCD-XA777ES SACD player. This system demands good, clean power to perform at its best."

He mentioned "living room" in the review, don't know beyond that...

John

post #71 of 140 Old 04-17-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Don't we all..........from what I've heard/read, the Adam Tensor line is phenomenal!!

Did you get a chance to have a listen to the GTC 88's? Can they handle the required SPL for a dedicated theater.......ie. dynamics, with no compression at higher levels? Is sensitivity 90 db/1 watt/meter or is it 90db/2.83v/meter at 4 ohms--not clear on Adam's website. Worried hitting reference on peaks might be an issue............

I did listen to the 88s. I think they will do fine at reference levels although I don't usually listen that loud. I was impressed with their sound in the 2 channel demo. They were not setup for 5.1. The room had a significant amount of room treatments which enhanced the experience. So far, I like them better than Triads. Although, I heard the Triads in a room that was not treated.
post #72 of 140 Old 04-17-2012, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did listen to the 88s. I think they will do fine at reference levels although I don't usually listen that loud. I was impressed with their sound in the 2 channel demo. They were not setup for 5.1. The room had a significant amount of room treatments which enhanced the experience. So far, I like them better than Triads. Although, I heard the Triads in a room that was not treated.

Which Triads? Gold LCR? Gold Monitors?

Haven't heard the Plats which I intend to listen to before finalizing decision.

If better than the Gold Monitors........that is a bold statement!
post #73 of 140 Old 04-17-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Which Triads? Gold LCR? Gold Monitors?

Haven't heard the Plats which I intend to listen to before finalizing decision.

If better than the Gold Monitors........that is a bold statement!

Gold LCRs
post #74 of 140 Old 04-20-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Received my GTC-77's today. They were double boxed with substantial padding so thankfully they emerged unscathed from FedEx's TLC.

As I posted before, they are (for now) replacing a pair of DefTech STS towers that I was pretty happy with in a 2 channel system, driven by an Anthem 225 integrated rated at 225 into 8 ohms and 330 into 4ohms. Sources are an Oppo 83SE and lossless files on my iPad through a Hegel HD20 Dac.

First listen:

- I'm staggered by the amount of detail retrieval as compared to the STS. All the cliches - fingers on frets, breaths between notes, subtle details in percussion, stuff I've just never heard before. I'm just not sure as to whether it's too much of a good thing. Not fatiguing but almost overwhelming. Time will tell. Listening to Nora Jones on SACD and just reveling in the wealth of information.

- The bass, while not as extended as the STS, is more solid and pitch perfect, almost a cousin of the high end. Bass heard as notes rather than sounds and thumps.

- Very dynamic, don't harden at higher levels like the STS. Haven't broken out the SPL meter but certainly play loud without strain.

- Sweet spot is limited both horizontally and (especially) vertically, though this may be a byproduct of my room. Treble definitely rolls off if your ears get much above the tweeters.

As you can (maybe) tell by my crappy attached cell phone picture, I haven't played at all with stands, isolation, cabling or positioning. Just plopped them down in the spot that had worked for the STS, hooked 'em up and turned 'em on. And if you believe in speaker break-in, these have a total of 60 minutes on them. More to come...

John
LL

post #75 of 140 Old 04-20-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robert View Post

Received my GTC-77's today. They were double boxed with substantial padding so thankfully they emerged unscathed from FedEx's TLC.

As I posted before, they are (for now) replacing a pair of DefTech STS towers that I was pretty happy with in a 2 channel system, driven by an Anthem 225 integrated rated at 225 into 8 ohms and 330 into 4ohms. Sources are an Oppo 83SE and lossless files on my iPad through a Hegel HD20 Dac.

First listen:

- I'm staggered by the amount of detail retrieval as compared to the STS. All the cliches - fingers on frets, breaths between notes, subtle details in percussion, stuff I've just never heard before. I'm just not sure as to whether it's too much of a good thing. Not fatiguing but almost overwhelming. Time will tell. Listening to Nora Jones on SACD and just reveling in the wealth of information.

- The bass, while not as extended as the STS, is more solid and pitch perfect, almost a cousin of the high end. Bass heard as notes rather than sounds and thumps.

- Very dynamic, don't harden at higher levels like the STS. Haven't broken out the SPL meter but certainly play loud without strain.

- Sweet spot is limited both horizontally and (especially) vertically, though this may be a byproduct of my room. Treble definitely rolls off if your ears get much above the tweeters.

As you can (maybe) tell by my crappy attached cell phone picture, I haven't played at all with stands, isolation, cabling or positioning. Just plopped them down in the spot that had worked for the STS, hooked 'em up and turned 'em on. And if you believe in speaker break-in, these have a total of 60 minutes on them. More to come...

John

Nice 2 channel setup review... Any 5 channel planned?
post #76 of 140 Old 04-20-2012, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

For now, yes - that's the rig they're in. I thought that would be the best way to really get a handle on them although everything I've heard and read makes me think they'd be outstanding in a multichannel system...

John

post #77 of 140 Old 04-20-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:

For now, yes - that's the rig they're in. I thought that would be the best way to really get a handle on them although everything I've heard and read makes me think they'd be outstanding in a multichannel system...

John

Have you listened to JTRs or Triad Gold LCRs? I liked the GTC 88s better than the Triad Gold LCRs. Have not heard the JTRs yet.
post #78 of 140 Old 04-20-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Heard the Gold's but that was several years ago. Have never heard JTR's. My audio memory is fairly short and I tend to be skeptical of posters that claim theirs isn't...

John

post #79 of 140 Old 04-22-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Heard the Gold's but that was several years ago. Have never heard JTR's. My audio memory is fairly short and I tend to be skeptical of posters that claim theirs isn't...

John

I listened to each set within 1 week. I felt I still had a good idea. One obvious issue, the Triads were in a home with no room treatments and the GTC were in an extremely well treated room.
post #80 of 140 Old 04-22-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you listened to JTRs or Triad Gold LCRs? I liked the GTC 88s better than the Triad Gold LCRs. Have not heard the JTRs yet.

The big question is........

How do the GTC's compare to the Triad Gold Monitors? The R-29 tweeter is the sweetest sounding dome (ring radiator) I've ever heard........very close to the transparency of a ribbon.

If the XRT tweeter can match the Gold Monitors punch for punch with a lot more SPL, then I'm sold! I've been considering the Triad Platinums, but I keep falling back to the Gold Monitors.............maybe the GTC 88's are the best compromise!

Thanks Robert............I'm hooked on your evaluation for sure, yet will find out for myself at CEDIA.
post #81 of 140 Old 04-22-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Well the GTC are a third the cost of the Plats.

Mike Miles

post #82 of 140 Old 04-22-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well the GTC are a third the cost of the Plats.

That may be true, but.............

Until Adam Audio can offer in-wall solutions to timbre match their GTC series, I may have difficulties fitting 55's or 77's in a column. Haven't heard Plats, intend to do so...........

Supposedly the in-walls are coming soon ie. at the end of this year.......(fingers crossed)
post #83 of 140 Old 04-23-2012, 06:57 PM

What is the benefit of the GTC 88 having a larger mid woofer when compared to the GTC 77.

The larger woofer, I guess, adds to the low end.

Also, how does the 88 have a higher dB rating?
post #84 of 140 Old 04-23-2012, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is the benefit of the GTC 88 having a larger mid woofer when compared to the GTC 77.

The larger woofer, I guess, adds to the low end.

Also, how does the 88 have a higher dB rating?

Greater extension....higher sensitivity.....drivers don't have to work as hard to provide greater SPL.

Low end extension isn't a factor for me since crossover will be at 80 hz while using four subs. Factory specs of the 88's indicate +/- 3db at 34hz..........

BTW, having a higher crossover allows more headroom since the two woofers don't have to work as hard or as deep............ie. allowing greater dynamics which is needed in a dedicated home theater environment.
post #85 of 140 Old 04-24-2012, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I had the opportunity to listen to the Columns (passive) driven by parasound mono blocks at a high end A/V shop. Very dynamic, very smooth and very detailed. Soundstage/imaging were excellent. The room was dedicated for them so I'm sure that helped. Transients were lightning fast with staggering snap and impact. For $7,000/Pr. they are WAY out of my budget, but I'd be willing to pay that if it were possible.

I have inquired about the GTC-77's. $2,500/Pr. Much more approachable, but still a stretch for me. With a little planning it could happen someday.
post #86 of 140 Old 04-25-2012, 07:51 PM

J. Robert,

Any new thoughts since you have had them a few more days?
post #87 of 140 Old 04-30-2012, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First listen:

John

Anything more to report back?
post #88 of 140 Old 05-02-2012, 06:32 PM

I am very interested in a head to head... GTC 77 or 88 vs JTR T12s for movies (most important) and then music.
post #89 of 140 Old 05-02-2012, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

J. Robert,

Any new thoughts since you have had them a few more days?

Sorry guys, been traveling so really have had very little time to listen. One cheap tweak I did after 20-30 hours of listening was to put four #4 Vibrapods between each speaker and stand which added a little more snap to the mids and even more definition to the bass, $20 per speaker well spent.

The most interesting thing has been that, while the tweeter deservedly gets most of the press, it's been the clarity in the bass that has been the biggest change for me. Acoustic bass on something like a Diana Krall SACD now registers as a series of plucked notes rather than blurred tones, somewhat of a revelation compared to the STS towers I was using before. It's been fun hearing new things in familiar recordings.

I don't know about the oft used "as good as speakers 2-3X the price", but I haven't heard anything else at $2250 delivered that I'd rather have. They're not the warmest speakers around, just seem like, at their price range, the truest to the source...

John

post #90 of 140 Old 05-08-2012, 08:14 PM

From Adam Audio:

Basic technical data at a glance:

• X-ART tweeter
• 5.5“ midwoofer
• 2 x 8.5“ subwoofers
• Frequency response: 34Hz - 50kHz
• Efficiency: 90dB
• Power handling: 180W / 260W
• Input impendance: 4Ω
• Max peak: 124dB
• Weight: 27.5kg
• Dimensions H x W x D (mm): 997 x 300 x 317

What differences are concerning when compared to JTR T8s?

Frequency +/-3db
70hz-24khz
Sensitivity*
98db
Useable Output **
129db
Recommended Amplification
up to 1200 watts RMS (program)
Impedance
4 ohm
Dimensions
26.5″x12.25″x14″
Weight
75lbs
Reply Speakers

Tags
Adam Audio , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page