New Product: Adam Audio- Grand Theater Components - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 140 Old 06-07-2012, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am very interested to get the adam GTC's in my home theater. im drooling thinking about it...

I'm looking at a pair of GTC 77's and a GTC 55 as a center channel and rear channels for a 5.1 setup. I want to pair this with an SVS SB12 sub.

The SVS merlin says i should have 2 SB12's but i think that overkill.

The thing is I want to mount the GTC's on the wall.... from wallmount. not the in-wall version.

would I mount these vertical or horizontal? or test both?

Some background info:
theater room is 20' long x11' wide x 9ft high
My system consists of Integra GTC 80.1/Emotiva: XPA-2 & XPA-3/Oppo BDP-93/Panamax Power/Harmony 890
GIK Acoustic panels on opposing walls

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 140 Old 06-07-2012, 12:51 PM

Hello Phillukk,

GTC 77 can be adapted for either vertical or horizontal. If mounted vertically, you can arrange the tweeter/midrange unit to proper height for your listening. If you did horizontal, the tweeter/midrange would be in the middle and would recommend trying to keep the speakers all on a single level if possible. I assume that the GTC55 is being used as a center due to limited space? On what wall is the screen and how big is it? That would help me make some suggestions.
post #93 of 140 Old 06-07-2012, 03:24 PM

Hey Phillukk,

I too would mount the L & R's vertically for sure. Reason; in my opinion the spread designed in standing speakers transmits the sound waves in a particular angle direction. It's possible turning them around (I know these speakers are modular and can be re-arranged) to horizontal could create too much image overlap with your L - R or R - L or a sound that goes L - C - R for example. Whereas the Center, in my opinion, is designed to have a large spread and coverage angle as most of your movie sounds come from here, dialogue 95% and is most important for all recipients in the room to hear.
That's why I think we often see floostanders then a horizontal center.

Just my 2 cents worth.

p.s. I have reviewed the specs and reviews on the GTC. I would love to get a demo on GTC88's for L&R, 77 for center and 55's for surrounds.... I don't think there is anyone in Brisbane, Australia who offers this though. Quite sad...

- - CA 751BD - - CA 650R - - Emotiva XPA-5 - - Velodyne DD18 - - Dali Concept 8's, Center, 1's - - Klark Teknik DN360 GEQs - - Van Den Hul, Kordz & Emotiva interconnects - - LG 60" FHD Plasma - -
post #94 of 140 Old 06-07-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillukk View Post

I am very interested to get the adam GTC's in my home theater. im drooling thinking about it...
I'm looking at a pair of GTC 77's and a GTC 55 as a center channel and rear channels for a 5.1 setup. I want to pair this with an SVS SB12 sub.
The SVS merlin says i should have 2 SB12's but i think that overkill.
The thing is I want to mount the GTC's on the wall.... from wallmount. not the in-wall version.
would I mount these vertical or horizontal? or test both?
Some background info:
theater room is 20' long x11' wide x 9ft high
My system consists of Integra GTC 80.1/Emotiva: XPA-2 & XPA-3/Oppo BDP-93/Panamax Power/Harmony 890
GIK Acoustic panels on opposing walls
Thoughts?

I personally would have some reservations about wall mounting these. Having spent some more time playing with the placement of mine, they are much more evenly balanced with some free space around them. At least in my room, they were thin and forward sounding right up against the back wall. As always, YMMV...

John

"What happens in Vegas..."
post #95 of 140 Old 06-07-2012, 07:03 PM

Hey John,

I too am having reservations about mounting these on the walls. Its just that the wife, my better half, is requesting that nothing be on the floors.

Currently the media center equipment is mounted on the wall. so no wires, furniture or equipment are touching the ground. all the equipment is hidden behind an enclosed vented unit. when i shut the unit doors, its all hidden.

the unit is less than a foot and a half from the floor.

I am thinking that instead of mounting the GTC's from wall mounts that I will mount them on shelves which are mounted to the walls. I'm not certain that I'll do this... i'll order them first and then decide.. i just need a couple of ideas floating around so i have some solutions to work with.

the shelves may be a good compromise as It would be perfect height to mount the tweeters at ear level.

@Neilsy, You have a good point. I would have to do some tests but what you mention sounds correct.

@2sides, some more info is my screen is 60" and it is on the wall which is 20' ft long. my seating area is directly in the center of the room.
post #96 of 140 Old 06-07-2012, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey John,
I too am having reservations about mounting these on the walls. Its just that the wife, my better half, is requesting that nothing be on the floors.
Currently the media center equipment is mounted on the wall. so no wires, furniture or equipment are touching the ground. all the equipment is hidden behind an enclosed vented unit. when i shut the unit doors, its all hidden.
Believe me, I understand accommodating WAF considerations. Without their indulgence and support, it would be very hard for us married guys to participate in this great hobby.

But there are purpose built speakers, including some upcoming from Adam Audio, that are designed to specifically target your needs. I just don't think the GTC77's are them. It sounds like you're trying to pound the proverbial square peg...

Good luck with your set-up and keep us posted...

John

post #97 of 140 Old 06-07-2012, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

Hey John,
the unit is less than a foot and a half from the floor.
I am thinking that instead of mounting the GTC's from wall mounts that I will mount them on shelves which are mounted to the walls. I'm not certain that I'll do this... i'll order them first and then decide.. i just need a couple of ideas floating around so i have some solutions to work with.
the shelves may be a good compromise as It would be perfect height to mount the tweeters at ear level.
@Neilsy, You have a good point. I would have to do some tests but what you mention sounds correct.
@2sides, some more info is my screen is 60" and it is on the wall which is 20' ft long. my seating area is directly in the center of the room.

You would have more luck with speakers designed for that type of installation

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/BT2-P78.aspx
post #98 of 140 Old 06-08-2012, 06:02 AM

Hello Philluck,

The GTC were originally designed with the idea that they would be in custom installation such as built into cabinets or into false walls, etc. When you build anything into a unit of any kind, there are boundary effects which can be minor or major depending on the install. Most speakers will sound better when out in the room but most of us do not have that luxury. All the GTC were designed and tuned as stereo pairs first and foremost since that is our background and main business. By having this done correctly and having the timbre correct on all the speakers makes them work so well in multi-channel. With a 60 inch screen I would put the GTC77 on the sides of the screen in a vertical position and most likely move the tweeter/midrange to the middle with the woofers on top and bottom. My first choice would be to use a 77 in the center too but if space is a concern, then you can use the 55 in a horizontal position but remember to turn the tweeter 90 degrees for better dispersion. I have seen some shelving units out there where it is just the shelf and a wire track that goes down to the floor but I cannot remember the name. Sorry, I will keep my eye out for it.smile.gif
post #99 of 140 Old 06-08-2012, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuttle View Post

From Adam Audio:

Basic technical data at a glance:

• X-ART tweeter
• 5.5“ midwoofer
• 2 x 8.5“ subwoofers
• Frequency response: 34Hz - 50kHz
• Efficiency: 90dB
• Power handling: 180W / 260W
• Input impendance: 4Ω
• Max peak: 124dB
• Weight: 27.5kg
• Dimensions H x W x D (mm): 997 x 300 x 317

What differences are concerning when compared to JTR T8s?

Frequency +/-3db
70hz-24khz
Sensitivity*
98db
Useable Output **
129db
Recommended Amplification
up to 1200 watts RMS (program)
Impedance
4 ohm
Dimensions
26.5″x12.25″x14″
Weight
75lbs

Sensitivity is 8 dB higher on the JTR but frequency response extension is wider on the Adam (basic compromise). They're both 4Ohm, so the sensitivity numbers are more likely to be apples to apples, though neither spec has indicated whether the measurements were anechoic, in room, or open, and at 2.83v or 1 watt. Neither vendor has provided comprehensive measurement data. We have to make several assumptions or throw most of the provided data out. Basically, we can say they're both respected manufacturers. Adam has been around for a while and they have a novel tweeter. JTR is using a novel tweeter as well, though not of their own creation. They both will play louder than is tolerable in Toole's definition of a small room without distortion. The Adam is surprisingly affordable.
post #100 of 140 Old 06-24-2012, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Had GTC 77's for over a month now and thought I'd update this thread. These continue to be my "daily drivers" in a stereo music only set-up currently driven by an Anthem 225 integrated amp. They make listening to well recorded music a legitimate pleasure as I continue to be struck by their ability to provide "you are there" moments even in familiar songs. And while it was my original intention to try these as L/R speakers in my dedicated HT, right now I'm having too much fun listening to everything from Pandora to SACD's.

As I said before, I can't imagine what else at the $2250 shipped price I'd rather have...

John

post #101 of 140 Old 07-12-2012, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Moved the GTC77's into my HT today where they took the place of Focal 937BE's as L/R mains. After running Audyssey on the Integra 80.2, I watched Star Trek with my son. The GTC's really are great HT speakers, whip fast with dialogue and effects and able to play very loudly without apparent strain. Leaner and not as full sounding in the midbass and midrange as the Focals (after room correction), they are nonetheless extremely crisp and clear in their rendition of movie sound tracks. I understand why Fremer's review was so enthusiastic...

John

post #102 of 140 Old 07-15-2012, 03:42 PM

Good to hear you're impressed with these speakers.
Did you get a demo of them in a store/display before you purchased them?

- - CA 751BD - - CA 650R - - Emotiva XPA-5 - - Velodyne DD18 - - Dali Concept 8's, Center, 1's - - Klark Teknik DN360 GEQs - - Van Den Hul, Kordz & Emotiva interconnects - - LG 60" FHD Plasma - -
post #103 of 140 Old 07-16-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Did not have a chance to audition the specific GTC series as they're fairly new. However, had heard the X-ART tweeter in powered versions of ADAM's pro line and had always been impressed by its ability to render detail without fatigue. So when I read Michael Fremer's review and found out that the speakers were within my budget (and actually turned out to be less when ordered directly from ADAM USA), I bought a pair.

One thing I can't emphasize enough is that these aren't "romantic" speakers in any way. The Focal 937Be's I use as my other main pair have a greater warmth, especially in the midbass/midrange transition that makes them much more forgiving of bright recordings and streamed music. But with the right equipment and source material, the GTC77's provide a level of hear-through transparency that I've never had in my system before. Live recordings are especially fun and you get a sense of every little atmospheric sound that makes well-recorded examples so cool. And that ability to deliver ambiance also plays into their strength as HT speakers, where things like background dialog or sound cues are easily heard.

If you can't already tell, I like 'em!

John

post #104 of 140 Old 08-10-2012, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
hey guys i live in the nyc area does someone have a number to a dealer of the adam gtc.. i am interested in these and also been looking at the JBL LS Synthesis speakers.. how do they compare? thanks
post #105 of 140 Old 08-10-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Start with:

Roger Fortier
V.P. ADAM Audio USA
516-681-0690 NY
203-318-8255CT
Roger.Fortier@adam-audio.com

I've only heard a Synthesis system at an audio event. While it was incredibly dynamic and able to play at insane levels without strain, it sounded very bright and forward to me. It's also is priced at several multiples of the GTC speakers so they're not really direct competitors.

While I think the GTC77's give relatively high end performance at real world prices, they're probably not for everyone. Very plain cabinets and a very revealing nature make them hard to hide, both physically and sonically...

John

post #106 of 140 Old 08-13-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robert View Post

Start with:
Roger Fortier
V.P. ADAM Audio USA
516-681-0690 NY
203-318-8255CT
Roger.Fortier@adam-audio.com
I've only heard a Synthesis system at an audio event. While it was incredibly dynamic and able to play at insane levels without strain, it sounded very bright and forward to me. It's also is priced at several multiples of the GTC speakers so they're not really direct competitors.
While I think the GTC77's give relatively high end performance at real world prices, they're probably not for everyone. Very plain cabinets and a very revealing nature make them hard to hide, both physically and sonically...
John

hey john looks don't mean anything to me i'm all about performance don't care about looks.. what do you mean by very revealing sonically? that sounds like a good thing but also a bad thing. im looking at JBL synthesis LS series there not to far in price from the Adams considering the prices i was given.
post #107 of 140 Old 08-13-2012, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.hometheater.com/content/adam-audio-gtc77-speaker-system

I'd tell you to start with Michael Fremer's review as his description of the speakers is spot on. To me, the speakers simply reveal what's in the musical or theatrical presentation, no more and no less. So if it's a crappy recording, there's no added warmth or coloration to gloss over those shortcomings. Low bitrate streamed MP3's sound thin and flat. But the upside is that well recorded music and movies are hair-raisingly good. That's all I ask of a speaker and, to get it at $2250 a pair, these have been a very pleasant surprise to me.

I'm surprised to you can get a Synthesis system in that price range, I remember them as $20K +++...

John

post #108 of 140 Old 08-14-2012, 03:57 AM

its not the whole system just the front sound stage.. i understand do you find them to be able to play very loud with no problem and have great dynamics??
post #109 of 140 Old 08-14-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Again, I'll quote from the review:

"Whatever colorations this system may have were so well hidden, I found myself unable to assign it a position on the bright/dark scale, the hard/soft scale, the thin/rich scale, or the forward/recessed scale. If these speakers have any gross faults, I couldn’t detect them. I found the overall response, at least observationally, to be impressively wideband, smooth, and free of obvious dips or bumps. The system was open, clean, and dynamically effortless on both the micro and macro ends of the scale. It rocked, and it exhibited delicacy and finesse. If the GTC77 system has any weak points, I don’t know what they are. If I were forced to assign it a sonic character, I’d say it’s slightly but smoothly forward.

This system can play very loud and never seemed to run out of dynamic headroom or become stressed in my listening room. In fact, the higher the SPLs, the more exciting it became, with no sonic penalty to pay."

Not much I can add except "amen". I'm currently using the GTC77's as L/R in my HT, driven by a Marsh amp that is 250W into 8ohms and 400 into 4ohms. Plenty of headroom and plenty of uncompressed volume, louder than any sane person would listen to for any extended period. What continues to amaze me is not so much what these speakers do, it's what they do for their price. They are high-end sound at real-world cost...

John

post #110 of 140 Old 08-14-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Again, I'll quote from the review:
"Whatever colorations this system may have were so well hidden, I found myself unable to assign it a position on the bright/dark scale, the hard/soft scale, the thin/rich scale, or the forward/recessed scale. If these speakers have any gross faults, I couldn’t detect them. I found the overall response, at least observationally, to be impressively wideband, smooth, and free of obvious dips or bumps. The system was open, clean, and dynamically effortless on both the micro and macro ends of the scale. It rocked, and it exhibited delicacy and finesse. If the GTC77 system has any weak points, I don’t know what they are. If I were forced to assign it a sonic character, I’d say it’s slightly but smoothly forward.

This system can play very loud and never seemed to run out of dynamic headroom or become stressed in my listening room. In fact, the higher the SPLs, the more exciting it became, with no sonic penalty to pay."
Not much I can add except "amen". I'm currently using the GTC77's as L/R in my HT, driven by a Marsh amp that is 250W into 8ohms and 400 into 4ohms. Plenty of headroom and plenty of uncompressed volume, louder than any sane person would listen to for any extended period. What continues to amaze me is not so much what these speakers do, it's what they do for their price. They are high-end sound at real-world cost...
John

John i think i might have found my new speakers... thanks still have a lil more to save up. The adam deff are on the top of my list will see what else i come across in the time of savings.
post #111 of 140 Old 09-05-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 225
FYI, I recently purchased the GTC77 for my HT center, and it is the best center channel I have ever had.

It's uncolored, transparent, and dynamic with good extension.

A great product at a very reasonable price.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #112 of 140 Old 09-05-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

FYI, I recently purchased the GTC77 for my HT center, and it is the best center channel I have ever had.
You hit the nail on the head. There are lots of great audio products, it's just that few of them are priced like Adam's GTC line.

Are you keeping your existing L/R and surround speakers?

John

post #113 of 140 Old 09-05-2012, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

What products are you comparing the center channel to? Triad?

Your a highly respected contributor here..................very interested in your thoughts/comparisons.

My experience with Adams monitors have been exemplary...............really want to hear the GTC 88's!
post #114 of 140 Old 09-05-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Your a highly respected contributor here..................very interested in your thoughts/comparisons.
My experience with Adams monitors have been exemplary...............really want to hear the GTC 88's!

making me want it more and more i listen to them in nj CSAAUDIO has them in a demo room.. i didnt really give them a good demo think im going to go back and give them a good listen.. i want the gtc88 but there really a big price difference from the 77. they seem like a real winner tho but im interested in how they compare to JTR 888 and Triad gold also.
post #115 of 140 Old 09-06-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't heard the Triad Gold's in a long time but I've spent some time recently listening to the 888's. While equally revealing, the GTC77's struck me as less forward with a more even presentation. I can see why people love the 888's for HT as dialog and effects would be very prominent and easily understood. I personally would find them less satisfying for music...

John

post #116 of 140 Old 09-06-2012, 02:59 PM

this is mainly going to be for HT usage so i should go with JTR888?
JTR888-- better dynamics play much louder and better detail?
adamGTC-- Better for music but not on par with JTR dynamics and spl or detail?

with a more even presentation? elaborate please. thanks
post #117 of 140 Old 09-06-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Full disclosure - I've owned the GTC77's for a couple of months. I've heard the JTR888's at a friend's house on a number of occasions. Different rooms and obviously different equipment...

Having said that, both speakers have incredible dynamic range. If I had to give an edge to either in the "loud but clean" category, I'd put the GTC77's ever so slightly ahead. Probably by design, the JTR888's have a more forward presentation that highlights dialog and details. If my use was mainly HT, I'd happily live with them for a long time.

Where I feel the Adam speakers excel is in the integration of all parts of the musical presentation - bass, midrange, treble - in their sound. No part seems overly emphasized yet it's all there in a way that seems effortless and natural. "Smooth" sums it up but not in a bland or homogenized way, they just make it look easy. As I've said before, you can find these attributes and same qualities in other speakers - it's just that few are in this price range...

John

post #118 of 140 Old 09-07-2012, 04:32 AM

Quote:

Full disclosure - I've owned the GTC77's for a couple of months. I've heard the JTR888's at a friend's house on a number of occasions. Different rooms and obviously different equipment...
Having said that, both speakers have incredible dynamic range. If I had to give an edge to either in the "loud but clean" category, I'd put the GTC77's ever so slightly ahead. Probably by design, the JTR888's have a more forward presentation that highlights dialog and details. If my use was mainly HT, I'd happily live with them for a long time.
Where I feel the Adam speakers excel is in the integration of all parts of the musical presentation - bass, midrange, treble - in their sound. No part seems overly emphasized yet it's all there in a way that seems effortless and natural. "Smooth" sums it up but not in a bland or homogenized way, they just make it look easy. As I've said before, you can find these attributes and same qualities in other speakers - it's just that few are in this price range...
John

THANKS MAN great sum up...Now i got another one for ya lol.. tekton speakers the PENDRAGON!!.. they got great reviews
post #119 of 140 Old 09-08-2012, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You hit the nail on the head. There are lots of great audio products, it's just that few of them are priced like Adam's GTC line.
Are you keeping your existing L/R and surround speakers?
John
Yes, I recently purchased a pair of Vandersteen 3a speakers, which are quite expensive and sound great, so I had no inclination to change them. The Adams mate quite well with the Vandersteens.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #120 of 140 Old 09-08-2012, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Well, in the last decade I have had NHT, ACI (back when they made something other than bookshelves and subs), and most recently Aperion Versus Grand. I auditioned Triad once, and actually wasn't impressed. It could have been the room. Anyway, the Adam GTC77 is the best center channel I have had in my system, well, ever. I am driving it and my Vandersteen 3a speakers with some really good electronics--a Marantz prepro and Parasound Halo amps. If I were starting from scratch, I'd probably have Adams all the way around--perhaps 88s across the front, which are designed exactly the same as the 77s, but with a larger cabinet and drivers for even greater extension and dynamic output.

I am sure that you can do better than these speakers, but if you can do it for anywhere near the price that's news to me.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Reply Speakers

Tags
Adam Audio , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page