New Product: Adam Audio- Grand Theater Components - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 140 Old 02-19-2012, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 318
If you've had the opportunity to have a listen to Adam Audio's powered monitors and Classic Series of speakers..... you'd be as excited as I am to have an opportunity to listen to this new series offered by Adam Audio: Grand Theater Components.

Here is a recent review for the GTC 77 system.........

http://www.hometheater.com/content/a...speaker-system

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/home-au...s/gtc88/series
http://www.adam-audio.com/en/home-au...77/description
http://www.adam-audio.com/en/home-au...55/description

Thought I'd post the review as I have great respect for Adam Audio products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 140 Old 03-06-2012, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Doublewing,

These are speakers I have in mind to replace my Dali Concept 8's, 1's and center. Thinking GTC 88 for L/R, 77 for C and 55's for SR's. . . Have a good enough sub so won't need to worry there.

Other speakers I will compare are Klipsch RF7 II's with RC64 II for center, RS-62 II surrounds and Krix Nuephonix L/R, Epicentrix for C and who knows for surrounds. . .

Have you heard any of these other speakers and can compare? I am used to live audio from PA's due to my involvement outside of my office job so am used to big sound and like a big, effortless sound.

I'd be interested in hearing what you believe of the GTC range

- - CA 751BD - - CA 650R - - Emotiva XPA-5 - - Velodyne DD18 - - Dali Concept 8's, Center, 1's - - Klark Teknik DN360 GEQs - - Van Den Hul, Kordz & Emotiva interconnects - - LG 60" FHD Plasma - -
post #3 of 140 Old 03-19-2012, 05:31 PM

I am interested too. Great review by Fremer on hometheater.com as far as sound quality.
post #4 of 140 Old 03-20-2012, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilsy View Post

Other speakers I will compare are Klipsch RF7 II's with RC64 II for center, RS-62 II surrounds and Krix Nuephonix L/R, Epicentrix for C and who knows for surrounds. . .

I've had a listen to Klipsch Palladium, and Ultra II's..........my only Klipsch experience. Liked both, but prefer other systems such as Aerial 9's, Triad Gold Monitors........

My past experience with Adam Audio Classic Series speakers was wonderful..........but worried about dynamics for a dedicated theater. Adam' studio monitors are STELLAR!!

Before I make a final decision on speaker purchase...........I'd like to hear the GTC 88's. I know there was suppose to be an architectural series released by Adam Audio to match with the GTC series............no word yet on release date. BTW, would make timber matching for GTC 88's in a decorative column much easier.
post #5 of 140 Old 03-20-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Adam makes some excellent studio monitors. These look very interesting. The weak link seems to be that sub though...
post #6 of 140 Old 03-20-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Adam makes some excellent studio monitors. These look very interesting. The weak link seems to be that sub though...

I agree when looking at the specs...big cabinet size but nothing impressive on the stats. Hopefully my Velodyne DD18 would partner well if I went the GTC range!

- - CA 751BD - - CA 650R - - Emotiva XPA-5 - - Velodyne DD18 - - Dali Concept 8's, Center, 1's - - Klark Teknik DN360 GEQs - - Van Den Hul, Kordz & Emotiva interconnects - - LG 60" FHD Plasma - -
post #7 of 140 Old 03-20-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree when looking at the specs...big cabinet size but nothing impressive on the stats. Hopefully my Velodyne DD18 would partner well if I went the GTC range!

As a fellow DD owner, I'm more worried if the Velo can keep up with the 88's!

My current plan is to use 3-4 LMS 5400 Ultras in the dedicated theater room for +10 deebers of LF over the mains.

From my experience, my DD would have a hard time in the SPL department in the theater room, therefore my DD is delegated to handling duties in the living room mated with Triad Gold Monitors. What a combo.........
post #8 of 140 Old 03-20-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

As a fellow DD owner, I'm more worried if the Velo can keep up with the 88's!

My current plan is to use 3-4 LMS 5400 Ultras in the dedicated theater room for +10 deebers of LF over the mains.

From my experience, my DD would have a hard time in the SPL department in the theater room, therefore my DD is delegated to handling duties in the living room mated with Triad Gold Monitors. What a combo.........

I did have a look over those subs just now out of interest. Seems quite a fairy tale a less than $1000 driver can outperform a $5k Velodyne product on distortion, accuracy and sound quality. Yes - it is just the driver; no box, smarts, I understand that but people are mentioning they install these in cars... doesn't that just spell bad news?

What sort of distortion are the Ultra's doing? They say lowest but that's not a value.. and at what dB?

post #9 of 140 Old 03-21-2012, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did have a look over those subs just now out of interest. Seems quite a fairy tale a less than $1000 driver can outperform a $5k Velodyne product on distortion, accuracy and sound quality. Yes - it is just the driver; no box, smarts, I understand that but people are mentioning they install these in cars... doesn't that just spell bad news?

What sort of distortion are the Ultra's doing? They say lowest but that's not a value.. and at what dB?

Don't get me wrong............I love my Velodyne DD-12, and have spent time listening to a DD-18. Would like to hear a DD-18+...........absolutely wonderful subs, not to mention one of the best on-board eq systems available.

On another note, I've heard a single LMS 5400 Ultra in a 10,000 ft^3 room............very linear, low.........I mean low, low distortion........as in same DD's league. With the right implementation, the LMS is hard to beat, especially in terms of SQ and distortion.......and with no servo help either.

FYI, not a fairy tale at all.........the TC Sound driver with proper amplification and eq will most definitely outperform the Velodyne 3-fold.

Price wise, the DD-18+ msrp lists for $4999........ LMS 5400 Ultra with 2400 watts including integrated DSP can be built by Funk Audio for $3200. One listen to a properly implemented LMS 5400 Ultra will have you convinced which is the better of the two!!
post #10 of 140 Old 03-21-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:

Don't get me wrong............I love my Velodyne DD-12, and have spent time listening to a DD-18. Would like to hear a DD-18+...........absolutely wonderful subs, not to mention one of the best on-board eq systems available.

On another note, I've heard a single LMS 5400 Ultra in a 10,000 ft^3 room............very linear, low.........I mean low, low distortion........as in same DD's league. With the right implementation, the LMS is hard to beat, especially in terms of SQ and distortion.......and with no servo help either.

FYI, not a fairy tale at all.........the TC Sound driver with proper amplification and eq will most definitely outperform the Velodyne 3-fold.

Price wise, the DD-18+ msrp lists for $4999........ LMS 5400 Ultra with 2400 watts including integrated DSP can be built by Funk Audio for $3200. One listen to a properly implemented LMS 5400 Ultra will have you convinced which is the better of the two!!

Interesting read looking on the site... Wonder if they do Australia... The hard part is - as it always is - you need to hear before you buy.

post #11 of 140 Old 03-21-2012, 09:34 PM

Anyone aware of any GTC 77 and GTC 55 for sale via dealer? The Adam Audio website does not list US dealers.
post #12 of 140 Old 03-22-2012, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuttle View Post

Anyone aware of any GTC 77 and GTC 55 for sale via dealer? The Adam Audio website does not list US dealers.

I called the US distributor last year which is located in New Jersey/New York...........evidently most distribution channels are via pro audio distribution. Upon calling my local "pro audio" retailer.........I was told he was contractually unable to resale Adam's home audio line. Go figure......

Since Adam Audio has recently attempted to enter the home theater market, I would presume distribution channels are growing. I'll be at CEDIA this September and will fact find myself..........and of course, listening with my own ears. I do know for a fact GTC products were at CEDIA last year......several youtubes on the subject matter.

When I first heard about this product two years ago was excited due to my experience with listening to Adam Audio's near field monitors.

Enclosed is contact info for distribution: good luck

Mr. Roger Fortier
Tel.: +1 516 681 069
roger.fortier@adam-audio.com
post #13 of 140 Old 03-22-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Those are some beautiful ribbon tweeter based monitors.
post #14 of 140 Old 03-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Well, if you want it to be expensive, here's a sub built with a 5400 that costs $15,000

http://www.lycanaudio.com/Specs.html

post #15 of 140 Old 03-22-2012, 11:04 AM

There are a number of ADAM Dealers on the East Coast. Several in the NY/NJ area, one in FL and now one in Southern CA. These speakers were designed with the theater in mind so they are capable of high spl then the powered version we sell or most of the pro series.
post #16 of 140 Old 03-22-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I heard Adam speakers at CES this year. I was very impressed. It was probably one of the best sounding rooms I went into.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #17 of 140 Old 03-22-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If a dealer is watching.......

Can MSRP for the GTC 88, 77, and 55 be identified?

Another point..........I came across information stating the GTC series was being introduced with an in-wall design too. Haven't found any more information, nor is any such product listed on the Adam Audio website.

I believe the product was identified as the AC 77, AC 7, AC 5.........

http://blog.svconline.com/briefingro...wall-speakers/
post #18 of 140 Old 03-22-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:

If a dealer is watching.......

Can MSRP for the GTC 88, 77, and 55 be identified?

Another point..........I came across information stating the GTC series was being introduced with an in-wall design too. Haven't found any more information, nor is any such product listed on the Adam Audio website.

I believe the product was identified as the AC 77, AC 7, AC 5.........

I tracked down only 1 person in Australia who could distribute the GTC range and that was on request only; there actually isn't a distributor for that range in Aus yet - they have only two disti's: a pro and high end home theatre.

One of them tracked down Aus RRP for me on request:
GTC88: $2,499 each
GTC77: $1,499 each
GTC55: $999 each

No doubt US will be cheaper... you guys have it good over there!

post #19 of 140 Old 03-22-2012, 03:09 PM

i.e. Velodyne DD18+ retails for $5999 in the US; it's $7999 here.
Klipsch RF7 II's I've seen in US for $3k/pair.... here $5,998/pair....

Sometimes it does make one feel a little sad... especially when we have slow internet and pretty high tax and fuel is $1.50 something per litre (5 litres to a gallon)

post #20 of 140 Old 03-22-2012, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i.e. Velodyne DD18+ retails for $5999 in the US; it's $7999 here.
Klipsch RF7 II's I've seen in US for $3k/pair.... here $5,998/pair....

Sometimes it does make one feel a little sad... especially when we have slow internet and pretty high tax and fuel is $1.50 something per litre (5 litres to a gallon)

I guess you were right............I was wrong on the price of the Velodyne DD 18+.............

$4799 + shipping direct from Velodyne.........oops!
http://velodyne.com/subwoofers/shop-...us-series.html

Great you checked on Aussie pricing for the GTC's...........I would assume a little less in the US. I'm headed to CEDIA in September.......I'm definitely going to check out the 88's.............and hopefully, more information will be available on the "Architectural Series" ie. AC 77.
post #21 of 140 Old 03-22-2012, 05:45 PM

I run the ADAM home division. The prices on GTC have dropped some. The GTC 88 are $2250 each, the GTC77 are $1250 each and the GTC 55 are $800 each. The GTC 77 and 88 have two sections that are panels so the tweeter/midrange can be moved from the outside to the middle and turned 90 degrees to form a horizontal speaker. I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.
post #22 of 140 Old 03-22-2012, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sides View Post

I run the ADAM home division. The prices on GTC have dropped some. The GTC 88 are $2250 each, the GTC77 are $1250 each and the GTC 55 are $800 each. The GTC 77 and 88 have two sections that are panels so the tweeter/midrange can be moved from the outside to the middle and turned 90 degrees to form a horizontal speaker. I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Thank you for visiting this site................hopefully, I'll see you in Indianapolis ie. CEDIA.

One other question.............can you comment on this blog:

I'm needing speakers to fit in columns of a dedicated theater build........these in-wall versions aka. AC 77's would be an ideal to match with the GTC 88's.

Thanks
post #23 of 140 Old 03-23-2012, 05:42 AM

The ADAM in-walls are all designed and use the same tweeter as the rest of the line. And yes they would be perfect for surround but we have had a number of issues with our manufacturer of the frames that has prevented us from moving forward until that and other issues were resolved. We still intend to move forward with these but it may be at the end of the year before we can.
post #24 of 140 Old 03-23-2012, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sides View Post

The ADAM in-walls are all designed and use the same tweeter as the rest of the line. And yes they would be perfect for surround but we have had a number of issues with our manufacturer of the frames that has prevented us from moving forward until that and other issues were resolved. We still intend to move forward with these but it may be at the end of the year before we can.

Thanks for commenting........

The AC 77 looks like the twin brother of the GTC 77............hope plans move forward as the product looks like a better match to the GTC 88's regarding surrounds.
post #25 of 140 Old 03-25-2012, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Upon further review, I've found the GTC's come with a 10 year warranty............just like good ole' Triad!

Not too many manufacturers support their product for ten years.........
post #26 of 140 Old 03-25-2012, 09:13 AM

The AC in-walls is a great solution for surrounds where space is a concern. The GTC55 is still a top choice because we control the volume and can get dynamics we would like. The warranty on the GTC is exceptional. I hope we can continue to expand our dealer base so more people can hear the products. Look forward to seeing you at CEDIA.
post #27 of 140 Old 03-31-2012, 05:54 PM

Any Adam Audio GTC dealers in Miami?
post #28 of 140 Old 03-31-2012, 06:39 PM

Adam Audio no longer lists the GTC series on thier website?!? Google link takes me to "Page not found"
post #29 of 140 Old 04-01-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuttle View Post

Adam Audio no longer lists the GTC series on thier website?!? Google link takes me to "Page not found"

True that. Same for me. . I wonder if they're just modifying the page or what the go is.

post #30 of 140 Old 04-01-2012, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Interesting.............

Most likely a website update, happens all the time.......if not.........troubling news.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Adam Audio , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page