5.1 setup for new HT, questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 02-20-2012, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just a few questions on some new speakers I want to purchase for a room I am turning into a HT. The room is about 20' by 40', but just the one end is for the HT, the other side is used for poker. Would like to spend about $1500 total for the speakers and sub. I have a Onkyo receiver that I will be using. Room is used for TV, movie, and PS3.

Ok, on to the questions. I had my mind set on a Jamo S 606 HCS 3 and then getting a sub from someplace like SVS or HSU. I am leaning towards the HSU VTF-15.

Well, then I decided I need to stick with bookshelf speakers, floor standing just won't work with the built in cabinets I am putting around the TV. I noticed the HSU HB-1 MK2 and thought those might be nice for the fronts and rears along with one of there centers, though that gets my price to closer to $2k. I also have always wanted a Def Tec procinema 800, but I am worried I will regret having that sub instead of the VTF-15.

Any suggestions here or some ideas of some others to look into?

I am upgrading from a pieced together Cerwin Vega set. THe fronts I purchased in college over 15 years ago and the 15" sub is probably over 10 years old.

Thanks for any help and information, hopefully I provided enough information.

JC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 02-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Stick with the HSU sub, and the HSU speakers should be great... if you can swing the $2k. I believe that the deftech procinema is a huge step down from the HSU setup. Maybe grab the 12" HSU sub to save coin if necessary.
post #3 of 39 Old 02-20-2012, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I am assuming even stepping down to the 12" I will hear a big improvement over my current setup. That would put me in HSU's Enthusiast 3 package which comes with the VTF-3, and is just over my price goal, which would be fine.

post #4 of 39 Old 02-20-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Even if it managed to keep up on total output (which is doubtful), the HSU VTF 3.4 will slay your Cerwin Vega in low frequency extension and sound quality.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #5 of 39 Old 02-20-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaneyj1 View Post

Well, then I decided I need to stick with bookshelf speakers, floor standing just won't work with the built in cabinets I am putting around the TV. I noticed the HSU HB-1 MK2 and thought those might be nice for the fronts and rears along with one of there centers, though that gets my price to closer to $2k. I also have always wanted a Def Tec procinema 800, but I am worried I will regret having that sub instead of the VTF-15.

FYI, The HSU HB-1's Mk2 are rear ported and it wouldn't be the best idea to put them in an enclosed cabinet, the rear port and speaker will need room around it to breathe
post #6 of 39 Old 02-20-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Need to go front ported or sealed.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #7 of 39 Old 02-20-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

I read about the placement issue on the web in an interview with Dr. HSU. I think he said the minimum distance was 2" behind the speaker. What I am building is kitchen wall cabinets on the bottom with a shelf on top. So the top shelf will be about 17" from the wall. On top of that will be bookcases that might be 9 inches or so. I would place the speakers on top of the main shelf. So they could be at least 4 inches out from the wall if not more, there would be plenty of air flow on the top and sides if that helps.

post #8 of 39 Old 02-20-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 477
I think you're going to be asking an awful lot of some of these smaller speakers given the size of your room. The sound system is going to "see" a 20'x40' room, unless you make each area a dedicated space. You need some decent speakers to fill that area.

Try the PSB Image T6 towers and matching center and get a couple large subs (like dual HSU VTF-15h's) later if you're cash tight. Just one idea.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #9 of 39 Old 02-20-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Even though the HT will be in one 20x20 section of the room, I see what you mean, it is just not designed for Floor standing speakers, it would be a real pain. But, I should have mentioned that I did wire it for dual subs as my receiver is a 7.2 Onkyo.

In looking through other threads, these also look promising.

PSB 4 and a PSB C4
NHT

post #10 of 39 Old 02-20-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:

I read about the placement issue on the web in an interview with Dr. HSU. I think he said the minimum distance was 2" behind the speaker. What I am building is kitchen wall cabinets on the bottom with a shelf on top. So the top shelf will be about 17" from the wall. On top of that will be bookcases that might be 9 inches or so. I would place the speakers on top of the main shelf. So they could be at least 4 inches out from the wall if not more, there would be plenty of air flow on the top and sides if that helps.

In a large room like 20'x40' they are going to need more space
post #11 of 39 Old 02-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The BA speakers referenced in this thread look interesting for the price. I don't have personal experience with them but my brother in law has BA stuff all over his house and has had pretty good luck with BA gear.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1395152

Here is a link to the sale:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...did=8182522847
post #12 of 39 Old 02-20-2012, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

I will check out those BA speakers.

I could also wait on the rears and getting bigger front. Like the PSB B5.

I also wanted to throw in Rythmic F12 as a sub choice and see what people thought of that one compared to the HSU.

Thanks for all of the responces.

Jeremie

post #13 of 39 Old 02-20-2012, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 578
If I were you, I would go for the Hsu Hybrid 3.1 package now to stay in your budget, and just use something inexpensive for surrounds. Something like this would be sufficient for surround duty. You will not regret buying the bigger sub, for home theater it is money well-spent. Definitely do not allow money spent on the surrounds to eat in in your budget for the front stage and subwoofer, you do not need heavy-duty speakers for surrounds.
post #14 of 39 Old 02-21-2012, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

I think I have removed the def tec from the list of options. I am leaning towards one of these

1) HSU 3.1 set with either the VF-15 or VF-3.

2) PSB for the front 3 speakers and maybe a Rythmic FV-12 for a sub.

I know this is a better question for the sub forum, and I am going to search there next, but would 1x VF-15 or 2x FV-12 be better? Those FV-12s are only $500 and I could easily add a 2nd later.

post #15 of 39 Old 02-21-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^
With that size space, and if you choose PSB - I would go with 5" woofer
speakers and above.

"I could also wait on the rears and getting bigger front. Like the PSB B5."

post #16 of 39 Old 02-21-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

The room is about 20x40, which 20x20 being reserved for the HT area. On the PSBs, I was looking at their Image B6 speaker and then something smaller later for the surrounds, like the B4.

post #17 of 39 Old 02-21-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The room is about 20x40, which 20x20 being reserved for the HT area. On the PSBs, I was looking at their Image B6 speaker and then something smaller later for the surrounds, like the B4.

Good!

post #18 of 39 Old 02-21-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wouldn't design a theater around a square space. Lousy acoustics and it makes it harder to place speakers around your seating. You need to make it more rectangular.

I'm still not sure why you need to stick with bookshelf speakers. I'd redesign the screen wall so you can accommodate larger front speakers as they'll work with the larger room size. If at all possible, an acoustically transparent screen and three identical, vertical front speakers would be ideal since you have such a long room. There's plenty of space to play with this scenario.

If you do end up with the PSB B6's in front and no acoustic screen, I'd get the matching C5 Center (the C4 goes with the B4's) and use the wall mount, bipolar S5's for the surrounds.

Start with one HSU VTF-15h and then get another. You'll definitely want the extra oomph in a room that large.

post #19 of 39 Old 02-21-2012, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

I say HT, but I am not going with a projector. Just using an LED TV. Might put the projector that I was using in the old house in the basement at some point, or just get rid of it.

To be precise, the room is 18' by 29', I didn't realize I was off by so much. TV is on one of the 18' walls. One 29' foot wall has a door near the middle, and the other 29' foot wall has two windows. Due to those windows, the rear speakers will need to be around 18' from the TV wall, or 23'+ from the TV wall.

My seating is theater seats about 16' from the TV, and a couch along the wall with the windows.

Another reason for the bookshelf speakers over bigger speakers is the wife factor. I know, but that is life

I saw that PSB has the bipole speakers. I heard those all depend on your room, and was going to save those hours of research for later. Do you think those would work well for my room?

post #20 of 39 Old 02-21-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd say the PSB bipolar wall mount S5's would be easier to deal with than trying to mount regular bookshelves as surrounds (you need special side clamping types of mounts if they don't have keyhole brackets).

There are ways to use larger front speakers and still hide them for the WAF.

Sitting 16' from the TV... you're going to want a drop down screen (preferably tab tensioned) for movie night and a 1080p projector besides the LED wall mount TV. You can always get a screen model that can be alcoved in the ceiling so it's virtually invisible when not in use.

You'll need a screen at least 118" diag. (16x9 ratio) at that distance or you might as well not even bother with high def at all. It'll be a wasted effort.

post #21 of 39 Old 02-21-2012, 05:21 PM

Any possibility of putting up a wall and creating two rooms? The opening between them could easily be 12' using a bifold design on each side, total of 4 three foot wide doors. Also gives you an excuse to put another tv, or two in the poker area along with some additional speakers for zone 2. Just thinking outside the box.
post #22 of 39 Old 02-21-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahPaul View Post

Any possibility of putting up a wall and creating two rooms? The opening between them could easily be 12' using a bifold design on each side, total of 4 three foot wide doors. Also gives you an excuse to put another tv, or two in the poker area along with some additional speakers for zone 2. Just thinking outside the box.

If the entire basement room being used is actually only 29' long... he could put a small butler bar with mini fridge and wine rack in the back of the room and use a bar counter and stools for the third row seating facing towards the screen (mounted to the back of the second row riser). The first row of seating would, of course, be closer than 16'. There are a few nice looking theater/bar spaces designed just like this featured here on the forum and on this basement design site.

http://www.finishedbasement.com/inde...asement_Photos

Again... there are ways and there are ways.

post #23 of 39 Old 02-21-2012, 05:30 PM

If the OP could post pics ...... We could reconfigure the whole basement. My second thought was flip the usage 180 degrees if the end of the room away from the built in cabinetry/shelves was a blank canvas. 18 feet wide really opens up possibilities for nice sized screen and perhaps wides in a 7.x setup
post #24 of 39 Old 02-21-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

That's what I was thinking with the bipoles...much easier to mount.

I don't want to do full fledge theater. If I do that, it will be later and in the basement when I finish it. This is a bonus room that we have one level above the basement. We will use it for TV mostly, music, and then movies.

I guess I should have said "little HT" or something in my thread title.

I just want speakers that will sound great when I list to music and really good when we do watch a movie.

post #25 of 39 Old 02-22-2012, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Not sure what I can or can't say about a price I have found on the net. But, no one in my city (Columbus, OH) sells PSB speakers so I searched Google. I found them at Cruthfield and DigitalCraze.com, Digital Craze was over $100 less then Cruthfield. Has anyone purchased from them? I assume they are not an Authroized dealer and I would not get a warrenty?

Thanks,
Jeremie

post #26 of 39 Old 02-22-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:

Not sure what I can or can't say about a price I have found on the net. But, no one in my city (Columbus, OH) sells PSB speakers so I searched Google. I found them at Cruthfield and DigitalCraze.com, Digital Craze was over $100 less then Cruthfield. Has anyone purchased from them? I assume they are not an Authroized dealer and I would not get a warrenty?

Thanks,
Jeremie

Crutchfield offers free shipping. Don't know if the other seller does. So factor that into your decision.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #27 of 39 Old 02-22-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Crutchfield offers free shipping. Don't know if the other seller does. So factor that into your decision.

Also factor in customer service. Crutchfield is one of the best, so it's probably worth the extra $.

post #28 of 39 Old 02-22-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, in doing many searches since my post, I don't think I will roll the dice with DigitalCraze for 100 bucks. Plus, I assume Crutchfield is an authorized seller and I will get the 5 year warrently.

I think it is time to pull the trigger. Going with the B6's for the fronts and the C5 for the center. I'll get the surrounds later. Now I just need to make my final decission on the sub. Leaning towards the HSU as of today.

post #29 of 39 Old 02-22-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Good choice of speakers!

If you're leaning towards an HSU, let me nudge you all the way over to the VTF-15h.

Then, when you switch to a basement setup, you could buy the T6's for the front, move the B6's to rear surround duty, and use the S5's for the sides surrounds (and get another VTF-15h to even out the bass) for a 7.2 setup. Booya!

post #30 of 39 Old 02-22-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm also looking at upgrading from my NHT speakers to PSB T6 and I do have the VFT15H. If you do get the T6 let us know about the SQ of the speakers.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page