5.1 remixed to 7.1 for back surround - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-22-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question about 5.1 and 7.1. I had the understanding that my bluray player or my onkyo receiver would remix the 5.1 audio so that the surround rear speakers would be used rather than the 2 side channels.

The receiver is an ONKYO HT-S6200 7.1. My calibration disc does identify the speakers properly. The bluray is a Panasonic 210. Audio is detected by the receiver as DTS-HD Master ( i think, not at home currently).

Am I mistaken in this or do I have my set up incorrect??

Thanks for any help!
Looking forward to getting my BIC F12 tomorrow.

Bovine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-22-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Should be connected correctly. If you want 7.1 all the time, use PLIIx Movie which will take 2.0, and 5.1 and make them 7.1.... I have an Onkyo 808 and use PLIIx Movie coupled with THX Cinema for all movie or tv sources. Sounds great and I have 7.1 all the time.

Shawn
post #3 of 7 Old 02-22-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

See, there's the rub. I had tried PLIIx Movie and I was losing the back 2 channels. It was mixing it to 5.1 only and ignoring the BR and BL. I was able to get the 7.1 in two ways:
1) set the BD to send out PCM audio
2). ... cant remember the exact setting, but it is what brought the DTS-HD Master audio option as the selected default. The pressing the Movie button won't change the audio type. (this is on the DVD/BD port) I can get the exact name of the audio settings when I get to the house after work.

Originally I had left the player on the default settings for the audio which seemed to be sending the most widely accepted signals to the receiver. I rolled through all the avail options for Audio on the Receiver but none would spit out any thing to the rear channels.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-22-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
In the setup menu of your receiver there should be a section for listening mode presets. That is where you set how you want your sound to be output for each type of source for each input. Set that to PLIIx Movie. Also in speaker setup make sure you have surround back channels set to yes and 2 back channels. Set you blu-ray player to output bitstream.

Ok PLII will only do 5.1 but PLIIx definitely does 7.1....

Your receiver should have in big letter PLIIx Movie and then the DTS HD MA or Dolby TrueHD red logo should also be on.

Shawn
post #5 of 7 Old 02-22-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Cool, I'll check that when I get home. Thanks for the info!
post #6 of 7 Old 02-22-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1064 Post(s)
Liked: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by battle_bovine View Post

I was able to get the 7.1 in two ways:
1) set the BD to send out PCM audio
2). ...

Some low end receivers don't have the DSP horsepower do bitstream decoding AND surround processing at the same time. IF your's is one of those, then decoding the audio in the BD player may be necessary. This way, the player handles converting the DTS-HD Master or Dolby TrueHD bitstream to PCM audio, so that the receiver can handle scaling the 5.1 channels to 7.1 using PLIIx processing. I only mention this because you didn't seem to be able to apply 7.1 processing to the DTS-HD MA bitstream unless it was decoded in the player and output as PCM audio.

Sanjay
post #7 of 7 Old 02-22-2012, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Huzzah!
flickhtguru,
What you suggested got it coupled with what sdurani said. I had to set the receiver default to PLIIx Movie and that let me use the movie button to toggle the listening mode. I then set the bluray player to automatically re-encode for 7.1 and that combo got the sound piping through the back speakers.

I might have been causing myself some frustration too. I had been using the THX optimizer on the StarWars - Attack of the Clones DVD to detect the speakers. After getting frustrated with that I just played the movie and during the explosion scene at the very beginning I was indeed hearing audio from the rear speakers.

Thank you both!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page